PDA

View Full Version : Omega Stubbie

Brett Hammond
20th March 2012, 03:26 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know the phone number for Omega Engineering? I am seriously considering up-grading my lathe to a Stubby. Tried all phone numbers that appear on the net and get the phone is disconnected message.

Also any suggestions on which one to buy the S750 or S1000

Regards

Brett

Sturdee
20th March 2012, 04:33 PM
I believe that Vermec (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/Omega_Stubby_Dec_2009.pdf)is an agent.

Peter.

Jim Carroll
20th March 2012, 05:03 PM
Go for the 1000 better value all round

Try this number 03 9708 2422

Zedicus
20th March 2012, 06:35 PM
G'day,
I don't know what phone number to use nor do I know about the 750.

I am lucky enough to own a S1000. I had a chinese made woodfast lathe but then got the opportunity to buy a stubby second hand. The level of engineering quality and the overall versatility of the stubby meant that I couldn't resist buying it and passing the woodfast on.

I would most definately recommend the stubby lathes.

TTIT
21st March 2012, 08:56 AM
...but don't ignore the 750 - love mine to bits :U . And seriously, how many people turn anything bigger than 750mm diameter :? . I made a 730mm diameter bowl on mine and the only reason it sold was somebody wanted it for baby photography - who the hell could eat that much salad :shrug:

nz_carver
21st March 2012, 09:21 AM
...but don't ignore the 750 - love mine to bits :U . And seriously, how many people turn anything bigger than 750mm diameter :? . I made a 730mm diameter bowl on mine and the only reason it sold was somebody wanted it for baby photography - who the hell could eat that much salad :shrug:

Fell off seat lol
Hey I don't know 750 is big but there are some nuts out there

But don't you think it's a little over kill for a pen lathe??

Go the stubby!!! 23 months till swmbo lets me upgrade to one

Phil Spencer
21st March 2012, 10:33 AM
<table rules="cols" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="1" cellspacing="0"><caption>
These are the details I have on my data base from when I use to sell him his motors. I think they are still current
Victorian Customer List</caption> <thead> <tr> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">Organization Name</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">Street Address</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">Postal Address</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">City</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">State</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">P Code</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">Phone</th> <th bgcolor="#c0c0c0">Fax</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr valign="TOP"> <td>Omega Tool & Engineering</td> <td>Unit 5, 32 Frankstone Gardens Drive</td> <td>Unit 5, Frankstone Gardens Drive</td> <td>Carrum Downs</td> <td>Vic</td> <td align="RIGHT">3201</td> <td align="RIGHT">( 3) 9782 5226</td> <td align="RIGHT">( 3) 9782 5227</td> </tr> </tbody> <tfoot></tfoot> </table>

Brett Hammond
21st March 2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have had a phone call today from Omega Engineering, I am now more confused than I was before.

The first thing is that I have never even seen a Stubby before, only know that they are the lathe to buy when you have tried the rest.

A bit of background, I earn sort of a living for my turning so call me a pro or semi pro, have been turning for about 22 years.

I have at present a Tanner RH1000 swivel head (short bed) can turn outboard 88cm (centre of spindle to bed 44) 2HP variable speed. The reason for want to up-grade is that I am sick of spinning the head. Must be getting lazy. nothing wrong with the lathe, runs like a dream. Rarely turn anything longer than 30cm. Mainly do small and very large bowls, hollow forms, clocks, pens.

To outlay the cash for the S1000 does stretch the budget but the S750 sounds the right fit.

I suppose the question to the Stubby owners. So if you consider what I do what is the best choice?

Thanks in advance

Brett

Jim Carroll
21st March 2012, 10:24 PM
Still go for the 1000, ya just never know what comes next. Also comes with a stand and you are able to work closer to the bed.

This is there web site, not much info (http://omegastubbylathes.com/)

TTIT
21st March 2012, 10:32 PM
The S750 would be perfect. When you slide the bed out you can fit a form up to 750mm diameter about 400mm deep in the gap but it's still good for even the tiniest of projects. (and even pens if you are so inclined!!)
There are a few shots of mine in use in the Projects page on my website (http://www.ttit.id.au/projects/projects.htm) plus a video of a bloody big bowl (http://www.ttit.id.au/video/MeTube.htm) (bed extended mode) in progress that will give you some idea of it's versatility. Some good shots of what you can do with the S750 on 'the knob' (http://www.ttit.id.au/projects/Kauri-knob/Kauri-knob-form.htm)here. There's a lot more it can do once you start swivelling the bed but you need to see that first hand to get the best idea of how it can work for you. :;

WOODbTURNER
21st March 2012, 11:06 PM
Have a look at one before you buy if you can. Titt is right as a 750 can do pretty big stuff. Iv'e got a 1000 and love it. I had a VL300 but got a crook back every time I bent over the bed. The 1000 is good if you can justify the cost for a few more mm which you might not need.
The photos are a chunk of Gmelina.

Brett Hammond
25th March 2012, 09:00 AM
Once again thanks for the replies. After much consideration it looks like the S1000 is the machine for me. Some of the clocks that I turn are quite large and I don't think the gap on the S750 would be deep enough.

I do have concerns about actually getting it into my shed but I have been assured by a few mates that "we will get it in".

All I have to do is chase some work to pay for it.

I will have to take some photos of the current lathe and put the for sale notice on it.

Regards

Brett

rsser
30th March 2012, 06:05 PM
The 1000 I had would actually turn 1.1m

Never came within cooee of that but if you have clients that buy 1m diam clocks go for it.

There's a bit of variation in Stubby manufacture (talk to Ken Wraight); I experienced that with tailstock boring. If that's important, then specify it when you buy. On the basis of one Stubby and two Vicmarcs as samples, VM is well ahead in terms of minimal slop. Don't even need to clamp the tailstock and crank the quill ... just push the whole lot.

In terms of customer service, I didn't have a good experience with Stubby but your mileage may vary. Take a close look at Vermec's version of the Stubby as TTIT mentioned; the tweaks and the service might be the deal maker.

In any case, with this kind of investment try and find someone who has one that you can try. The Stubby is different. May or may not suit you.

I sold mine cos of failing paws and the 1000 is at its limits of manipulation and application a weightlifter's machine, and cos there was no market for 1m bowls or platters.

rsser
30th March 2012, 09:17 PM
Just to add: one of the ways in which it's diff. is the rotating main bed, and the 2ndary bed off the headstock.

Do you need these for what you want to do?

Brett Hammond
3rd April 2012, 04:35 PM
To all that commented thanks. To Ern thanks for taking the time for a chat on Sunday morning.

For those that want to know I have today ordered a Stubby S1000 lathe, now all I have to do is sell enough stuff to pay for it.

My current lathe will soon be in Market place for sale.

Brett

rsser
8th April 2012, 04:23 PM
Happy to have been of use Brett.

Let us know how you find the big fella.