PDA

View Full Version : Internal Stairs

Gaza
11th February 2005, 06:21 PM
Hi All

I have got to build a set of internal stairs that will be covered in carpet. Its a stright run up from GF to 1st floor approx 1.0mt wide. I was going to get a stair co in to supply and install using Pine stringers and MDF treads the cost fully installed is $950.00.

I was thinking of making them up my self, routing out the stringers for the treads, then putting together and lift it up + fixing it.

An thoughts, is really worth it, i know that all the risers have to be the same height, any other things to know.

aussiecolector
11th February 2005, 06:47 PM
7" up x 10" wide is standard for steps. $950 sounds reasanable but if you do it your self you will feel good when your finished.

craigb
11th February 2005, 07:49 PM
1. Work out what your hourly rate is in your day job

2. Have a guess on how long it will take you to make the stairs.

3. Add 50% to #2

4. Multiply this by #1

5. Calculate how much it will cost you to buy the materials

6. add that to #4

5. Is it less than $950 ?

7. If it IS less than $950 don't forget to add the "I've never done this before" factor plus "I have no warranty if it turns out to be a piece of crap"

Good luck

Ianab
11th February 2005, 08:39 PM
Building stairs isn't rocket science... rockets cost more than $950 ;)

If you enjoy making things out of wood and have the time to do it.. go for it. :D
Sure you might be working for $5 an hour, but if you are having fun whats the problem.

If you dont have the time / inclination, the $950 sounds like a good deal.

As for the construction, most stuff I've seen has had triangle shaped pieces of mdf screwed / glued to the stringers and the risers and treads are mounted onto those. Might cost $500 in materials and a couple of days to put together. If it's going to be carpeted you can do the whole thing in MDF, each riser supports the next step and makes a very solid staircase.

Cheers

Ian

seriph1
14th February 2005, 07:21 AM
I have only made one staircase in my time and can say that for me at least, it was a daunting experience. once finished it was illegal for a bunch of reasons including my miscalculation of the riser height. but I got there in the end with help. It was a 14 tread with a LH dogleg from a landing. Looked great in the end, but I wouldnt have done it had I known what grief I was up for. $950 sounds like a bargain, but is that supply only or installed?

never made a rocket, but jumped out of a plane yesterday...... more satisfying than building my stair :D

BTW my experience should have no bearing on yours - go for it if you want to learn the processes...... I am sure there would be a book out there on stair building that would demystify it all

jackiew
14th February 2005, 09:43 AM
go to your library.

If they haven't got a book on making stairs at your branch then they should be able to get you one from another branch. Even if it is an American book it will tell you how to do all the calculations to get everything in the right ratios and give you a feel for the other stuff you need to know.

There are australian books out there though and if you get a recent one it will (hopefully) refer to the appropriate Australian Standards. e.g

http://www.skillspublish.com.au/BK08-05.htm has a section on straight flights of stairs.

jackie

PS theoretically I know how to make stairs but so far I've only read about it :o