PDA

View Full Version : Any one own one or knows much about this??

xXvapourXx
21st March 2012, 11:16 PM
Hey guys dose anyone here own one or know much about them??
Looks like a good price for what it is
milling machine | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Yankalilla Area - Normanville (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/normanville/tools-diy/milling-machine/1000398175)

damm i need to get a job

Cooper

4-6-4
21st March 2012, 11:47 PM
Greetings The mill looks like one I had years ago. Mine was a Metric machine although it was supposed to be Imperial. But after am lot of cursing about Taiwanese inches it was good. I took the cover off the top and added two more vee belts. This was to slow the machine down so I could use a 6 inch side and face cutter. But in the higher speeds it went like a cut cat. The higher speeds were used to thickness pattern making timber. The large base is also familiar. as is what looks like a vertical quill for drilling holes. I only sold mine when I had to close the business. It looks to be in good condition and the price is fair as mills go. How does this beastie compare with the mills at Hare and .Forbes This would give a fair indication at to the price. All the best 4-6-4

welder
21st March 2012, 11:56 PM
looks good you going to buy it ?

xXvapourXx
22nd March 2012, 12:11 AM
Haha I wish, need to get a job or something first.

Thanks for the info 4-6-4, is there another milling machine that looks familliar? Welder, is the one your looking at a McMillan or was it a different brand?

Cooper

steran50
22nd March 2012, 07:55 AM
Hey guys dose anyone here own one or know much about them??
Looks like a good price for what it is
milling machine | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Yankalilla Area - Normanville (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/normanville/tools-diy/milling-machine/1000398175)

damm i need to get a job

Cooper

HI:),
Yes My Boss has one at Work, His is a Herless SM-1. We use it a little bit at Work to make and Repair bits & Pieces. They seem to be fairly Solid Machine and it does a good Job. The SM-1 was made in Taiwan, I wonder if the Mcmillan was made in Taiwan too ?. My Boss Bought His about 5 Years ago (secondhand) for $2000.00 at Hare & Forbes Melbourne. So the Price of that Machine is great, it looks to be in real good condition. My Boss's didn't have the Oiler on it.
I didn't know Mcmillan had put one out as well. There is another Version as well being a variable Speed job Herless VM-1 (pretty sure the Model is right). You need to get a Job Cooper or ask Your Old Man for a Loan. Minitech Sell another Version called a X5015M and the same with Powerfeed X5015-PF http://wic043u.server-secure.com/vs4487_secure/dept.asp?id=136 Here is some Pics of the SM-1

matthew_g
22nd March 2012, 10:49 AM
Cooper,
I am pretty sure Woodlee has one of those mills, It might be worth having a chat with him.
As for finances, I would be asking your parents for a loan quicksmart as the price is good, Very good.
I saw one of those on Ebay a while ago and it went upwards of $2000.00 Does it come with any tooling? Is it far from you? It might be worth making an offer.
Matt

4-6-4
22nd March 2012, 07:56 PM
Greetings chaps yes the more I look at the pics the more certain I am that it is the same as mine. I tried to swivel the head at one stage and failed miserably I did a lot of work on mine before a got a Richmond mill. The wo machines sat side by side in the workshop. The Richmond was a smaller horizontal beast but.it came with a vertical head and a slotting head. These two items had oriental letters cast into them. There is a vid on you tube which featured on this forum which is very similar. Mine came from Stead in West Footscray If I needed a mill like this I would go into debit and get a job. Bit hard I know but I have been there and done that Yours 4-6-4

welder
22nd March 2012, 08:28 PM
Haha I wish, need to get a job or something first.

Thanks for the info 4-6-4, is there another milling machine that looks familliar? Welder, is the one your looking at a McMillan or was it a different brand?

Cooper

No the mill i am at looking and trying to save enough to buy is a Prvomajska ALG-100

xXvapourXx
22nd March 2012, 08:55 PM
Greetings chaps yes the more I look at the pics the more certain I am that it is the same as mine. I tried to swivel the head at one stage and failed miserably I did a lot of work on mine before a got a Richmond mill. The wo machines sat side by side in the workshop. The Richmond was a smaller horizontal beast but.it came with a vertical head and a slotting head. These two items had oriental letters cast into them. There is a vid on you tube which featured on this forum which is very similar. Mine came from Stead in West Footscray If I needed a mill like this I would go into debit and get a job. Bit hard I know but I have been there and done that Yours 4-6-4

I think a job is what i need to look into, but before i can buy anything else i need to get a bigger shed :D, putting that in my Mini man cave, would be the most hardest to do. Probably get a used one off of gum tree or if not just build one.
Talking about sheds, i have had a question i wanted to know for awhile, and that is does anyone use wood for the flooring, like plywood or something or would it be better to stick with concrete, to have machinery on??

No the mill i am at looking and trying to save enough to buy is a Prvomajska ALG-100

Ok awesome for some reason i though it was similar but i thought wrong haha

Cooper

Bryan
22nd March 2012, 09:27 PM
Talking about sheds, i have had a question i wanted to know for awhile, and that is does anyone use wood for the flooring, like plywood or something or would it be better to stick with concrete, to have machinery on??

Depends on the size and weight of the machines. For the stuff you're dealing with timber would be ok I reckon, if it's solid. But concrete is what you would aim for. Just don't get an amateur, half-arsed, lumpy, dusty concrete floor. Get a proper one or nothing.

xXvapourXx
22nd March 2012, 11:20 PM
Depends on the size and weight of the machines. For the stuff you're dealing with timber would be ok I reckon, if it's solid. But concrete is what you would aim for. Just don't get an amateur, half-arsed, lumpy, dusty concrete floor. Get a proper one or nothing.

Ok awesome, when i get money and ready to get a bigger shed ill try and go for concrete if not wood, although im only planning on getting a 3x3 shed, any bigger than that it need to get approved by council, might be able to get away with a 3x4m shed but who knows.

Cooper

xXvapourXx
22nd March 2012, 11:55 PM
Any who I sent a message to the seller and asked if it came with any tooling, and he said it only comes with a collet chuck, and it is now sold.

Cooper