PDA

View Full Version : The family heirloom

powderpost
22nd March 2012, 11:49 AM
40 odd years ago, I rescued a small old style rocking horse. The stand and it's head were missing. I restored it for my kids way back then. The horse has been in the store room for about 25 years in a state of disrepair. 16 months ago we were presented with a new grandson and SWMBO "suggested" the rocking horse be resurected. Being a wuse, I obeyed. :). The head I made back then was pretty basic and I have an old mate that sculpts, so I asked him if he would carve me a new head for the horse. He suggestd that the one I had made was good enough but he would carve me a new rocking horse head if I built a new horse. At a recent garage, I acquired some recycled northern silky oak for $50.00. That ended up being a new rocking horse. My old mate who is 87 yrs old carved the head for me.

The first photo, the painted horse is the old one restored.

The second photo is the new one.

The third photo is of the little fellow on the horse.
I gave it three coats of polyurethane. Fairly happy with the end result.

Jim

Crunchie
22nd March 2012, 12:03 PM
:brava What an heirloom. That's what Grandads are for!!!

wheelinround
22nd March 2012, 04:28 PM
Jim heirloom is correct for both of them. The first has been masterfully restored and improved upon I like the newer colour.

The second one of course will always be the favourite ............but you now they never win races. Now for another grandchild to straddle the first rocking horse.:2tsup:

powderpost
22nd March 2012, 09:37 PM
Now for another grandchild to straddle the first rocking horse.:2tsup:
Ray, she was born last Monday. That is why there is now two rocking horses. :)
Jim

dr4g0nfly
23rd March 2012, 05:40 AM
All you need now is another grandchild and they can race each other on them.

Nicely done - for both.:2tsup:

Woodwould
23rd March 2012, 07:31 AM
Great job! :thyel:

jimbur
23rd March 2012, 08:58 AM
Lucky kids. Great jobs.
Cheers,
Jim
ps it's getting cold down here so do you have to rub it in with showing someone in light footwear.:D

wheelinround
23rd March 2012, 09:19 AM
Jim & Sharon and family congrats on the new addition :2tsup:

kcam
26th March 2012, 08:07 PM
:2tsup:Very impressive....enjoy:) Cheers Kerry

Christos
27th March 2012, 01:05 AM
That's quite a story and I do not think the young fellow really knows what he is sitting on. The photo will give some indication in years to come.

powderpost
30th March 2012, 09:35 PM
That's quite a story and I do not think the young fellow really knows what he is sitting on. The photo will give some indication in years to come.
Hi Christos, the little fellow loves to get up on the horse. He is not quite sure what to do then, but goes straight for it when he turns up.
Jim