PDA

View Full Version : Freud Quadra Router Bits

Superbunny
23rd March 2012, 09:30 PM
Well I ordered these from amazon after reading about them in a woodworking mag some weeks ago and I'm happy I did. I ordered the 1/2 inch shank and they were delvered within two weeks and for only $9 post from the USA. They cut smooth with a nice finish, I experienced no tear out on the job. You just have to be more carefull how you handle them as you have four cutters and can cut your hand skin as you pull them out of the case they come in. Buying them as a set was the better option but would like to see more sizes and variety in styles.:D:D

SB

imagineero
25th May 2012, 12:22 AM
I looked at router bits on amazon a year ago and tried to order some, they said they wouldn't ship to aus. They wont ship most DVD's, or power tools and some other items due to manufacturer restrictions because they like to price things differently by region. I think router bits automatically fell into the category.

Did you have no problems in ordering?

Shaun

Geoff Sims
25th May 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi

I ordered a Freud SD208 Dado stack from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and it arrived in 7 days. There were no problems or questions asked when it came to shipping to Australia. I have also ordered many router bits and engraving cutters on Amazon over the last two years or so and have never had a problem.

Maybe cutting tools have some sort of exemption, or maybe it's just Freud (although Whiteside is another one) that don't have restrictions..

Cheers
Geoff

Superbunny
26th May 2012, 09:17 PM
I looked at router bits on amazon a year ago and tried to order some, they said they wouldn't ship to aus. They wont ship most DVD's, or power tools and some other items due to manufacturer restrictions because they like to price things differently by region. I think router bits automatically fell into the category.

Did you have no problems in ordering?

Shaun

No problem, just went on amazon and ordered when I found what I wanted and paid by paypal I think. Just as simple as ordering from Carba-tec on line.:D:D

SB

Dengue
26th May 2012, 10:49 PM
mmm, I just went online to amazon, looked at the Freud Quadracut item ( 4 pack) and got the message:

In Stock.
We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Dengue
26th May 2012, 10:50 PM
Superbunny, do each of the 4 router bits have a different roundover radius?

Wizened of Oz
27th May 2012, 02:24 PM
mmm, I just went online to amazon, looked at the Freud Quadracut item ( 4 pack) and got the message:

In Stock.

Woodcraft have the Freud Quadracut and they have no problem shipping to Australia. I have no idea, though, how their prices compare with Amazon's.

petersemple
27th May 2012, 03:48 PM
I suspect it depends on whether you order direct from Amazon the retail seller, or order from somebody on the Amazon marketplace. Amazon won't ship a lot of things to us, but Amazon marketplace sellers often will.

FenceFurniture
27th May 2012, 03:58 PM
Peachtree Woodworking (http://ptreeusa.com/) will ship to Oz. I have a particularly good reason for knowing this......and their prices on Bessey clamps are excellent......

They are a full Freud dealer and so can get get any Freud product (or Bessey) that you want.

Then again, you may want to wait for a little while.

Dengue
27th May 2012, 06:38 PM
Email received from Peachtree this week:

I'm sorry, we do not ship Bessey clamps outside the US.

Thank You
Dee Morgan

Customer Service
Peachtree Woodworking Supply Inc.
6684 Jimmy Carter Blvd.
Suite 100
Norcross, GA 30071
770-458-0870
Woodworking tools, supplies, plans, accessories and more - ptreeusa.com (http://www.ptreeusa.com)

FenceFurniture
27th May 2012, 06:40 PM
There's a way around that.

Superbunny
27th May 2012, 08:58 PM
Superbunny, do each of the 4 router bits have a different roundover radius?
Yes they are I think from memory they are a 1/4 and a 1/2 round over. JillB sorry for your problems with amazon but all I can tell you is what I did. Below is my order from amazon with my personal delails removed.:D:D

SB

To:
<Subject: Your Amazon.com order of "Freud 89-672 1/2-Inch Shan..." has shipped!
Date: Tuesday, 21 February 2012 9:05 PM
Amazon.com Shipping Confirmation
Order #105-3189216-2854625
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed by you or by our customer service department.
Your estimated delivery date is:
Monday, March 5, 2012
Your shipment was sent to:
Your package is being shipped by IPARCEL and the tracking number is AEIABE20002547873.
====================================================================
Your Shipment Details
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc.):
Freud 89-672 1/2-Inch Shank Quadra Cut Set, 4-Piece
$108.81
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $108.81
Shipping and Handling: $9.73

Shipment Total: $118.54 (AUD 114.53)
Paid by Mastercard: $118.54 (AUD 114.53)
====================================================================
Thank you for shopping with us.
Amazon.com

imagineero
28th May 2012, 12:19 AM
There's a way around that.

The email from peachtree as quoted by Dengue would suggest that peachtree will not ship to aus as you originally posted, unless aus is now located inside the US (entirely possible). The only way I have found around this is to either use a mail rerouting service, or have a friend stateside receive the package and then mail it on which amounts to the same thing (I get my chainsaws this way) but does not change the fact that peachtree will not mail bessey clamps outside the US. They may be willing to mail other items.

I'd guess that Petersemple had it pretty much right that amazon themselves will not post many items to aus, but amazon marketplace sellers will. Amazon claims that the manufacturers of the items refuse to license them to sell. I tried to order some professional training DVD's from them at christmas time, around $400 for 3 DVD's. They refused to ship. I called Amazon who said that it was the suppliers policy. I contacted the producer of the DVD's who supplies to amazon who sold to me directly, and said that they were confused by amazons unwillingness to sell - they wanted amazon to sell to all markets.

I'm lucky enough to have some friends stateside who receive and onship things to me. This brings up the further problem that the shipping and postal addresses for billing on my credit card obviously don't match up. Most suppliers have still been willing to ship. The beer cost of getting things onshipped can add up pretty quickly though.

Shaun

Superbunny
28th May 2012, 09:42 PM
JillB, I have just tried to order them also and found they will not send to Australia now. I guess I was lucky last time.:D:D

SB

Zedicus
1st June 2012, 10:45 AM
I thought it interesting that some people have been able to buy and some haven't due to shipping to Australia. I have just been looking though the Amazon sight and it appears that some items will not be shipped and some will. I have provided below an example from 2 different items descriptions. The red one that seems like it is ok to be shipped to australia is actually from a set of Freud router bits like the ones Superbunny did the review on. I haven't tried to have any shipped so am only assuming that possibly some can be.

In Stock.

In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.

Trav
23rd June 2012, 08:30 AM
This is very frustrating. It really does depend on what you get. I recently bought a stack of jet parallel clamps, plus a pile of other things from Amazon. They would ship the 12" and 24" clamps, but not the big ones. In the end, I decided to buy the big clamps locally (i.e. in Aust) and the smaller ones from Amazon. Even with shipping, they were still much better price.

I pays to hunt through the Amazon website. I am looking for a new cordless drill and impact driver, and some brands seem to ship to Aust, while others don't.

Trav