PDA

View Full Version : Turn-Fest 2012

dai sensei
25th March 2012, 08:11 PM
Well another Turn-Fest has come and gone here on the Gold Coast Queensland organised by David Drescher of http://www.woodworkingsuppliesqld.com.au/. It was great to catch up with heaps and heaps of other turners and demonstrators from around the world. This one was the TurnFest Masters and the biggest event of its kind, I think 570 was the final count :o, to celebrate the 10 year anniversary.

Here's some photos of the attendees' display pieces:

dai sensei
25th March 2012, 08:15 PM
Some more

dai sensei
25th March 2012, 08:19 PM
Here a group shot of the demonstrators, David accepting an award from the demonstrators, and a rare shot of David actually turning :U, and a shot of the sunset one night over the Broadwater (not bad for my little pocket autiomatic camera:2tsup:)

dai sensei
25th March 2012, 08:39 PM
Hope others will also post photos in this thread

mkypenturner
25th March 2012, 08:49 PM
hey neil
nice pics i bet you had a great time
but the million dollar question is ....
did dave actually finish the item ???????

dai sensei
25th March 2012, 08:54 PM
:2tsup:
...did dave actually finish the item ???????

:U Actually, it was at one of the many "night activities" called "turning to destruction", he was part of a 4 man act to destroy blanks. Let's just say they did a good job :hahaha:

On the first night, we got to see the dolphins show of SeaWorld

Acco
25th March 2012, 11:31 PM
Hey hang on, did this event happen without , as I know he was here in Victoria as I was speaking to him face to face today at Wandin :) :D

joevan
26th March 2012, 09:30 AM
Hello Acco,
As said to me at last years Nannawading exhibition when asked if he was displaying any items in the show, "as they do not have any forklifts here there is no point me coming here displaying my stuff". And that might be the reason why he did not go the Gold Coast.

Joevan.

Willy Nelson
26th March 2012, 03:51 PM
Neil
Thanks for posting the photos. I certainly would enjoy more photos or details about the event.
Cheers
Willy

RETIRED
26th March 2012, 05:11 PM
Hello Acco,
As said to me at last years Nannawading exhibition when asked if he was displaying any items in the show, "as they do not have any forklifts here there is no point me coming here displaying my stuff". And that might be the reason why he did not go the Gold Coast.

Joevan.I was busy entertaining you blokes at Mont de Lancey Wood Steel and Steam festival.:D

Sturdee
26th March 2012, 09:57 PM
I was busy entertaining you blokes at Mont de Lancey Wood Steel and Steam festival.:D

And he did it very well. :2tsup:

Peter.

underfoot
27th March 2012, 06:53 PM
Here a group shot of the demonstrators, )
Always getting my head cut off in group pics :rolleyes:..
I believe I met some of the best wood turners in the world at this gig...:2tsup:
I've decided that they're all rather short..(under 6 foot 6)
and not many know how to swim in gold coast storm surf..particularly those from midwest U.S...
Great fun, good times ,lots learned..:2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
28th March 2012, 03:05 PM
Many thanks for sharing your photos Neil.:2tsup:

Allan

WOODbTURNER
2nd April 2012, 06:29 PM
Brian McEvoy from Canada gave a great demo at Turnfest on his take of deep hollowing using a small car globe attached to the big bar tool. He could have used the vase as a stop light!
Turnfest should be great next year featuring Malcolm Zander, Jerome Blanc, Michael Hosaluk, Trent Bosch, Glenn Lucas and others.
Well done David!http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203767&stc=1&d=1333351678

smiife
3rd April 2012, 09:03 PM
hi neil,
it was great to catch up with all the people at turnfest ,
it was the first time i had attended the event and must say i
was very impressed,i am sure many of the forumites were
also there and it would have been good to put a face to
the names on here !maybe we could have get together
next time, after the day is done, maybe at the bar :U
that canadian guy was amazing,i also thought jimmy clewes
was one of the stars of the show,terry scott from nz was also
very good,included just a few photos from turnfest 2012
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Paul39
7th April 2012, 01:33 PM
and a rare shot of David actually turning :U, :2tsup:)

The photo of David turning with his ID card hung from a lanyard around his neck alarms me.

The demonstration could get very interesting if the lanyard got wound up in the chuck at speed.

dai sensei
7th April 2012, 10:01 PM
Too true. Might also need to remind him to lower his face shield and not look under it :U

BobL
7th April 2012, 11:54 PM
Nice pics Neil, looks like it was a good event!