PDA

View Full Version : seamless particle board joining

Eru
28th March 2012, 03:31 AM
hey this is my first post so i hope im posting it in the right section. :P
ok so im planing to make a media stand and a coffee table out of 16 mm and 28 mm particle board and i need some advice about joining. i noticed that in the PC desk i have there are no detectable screws or joints on the surface of the board. can anyone describe (preferably with some pic links) how is this done. ive done a google search but all ive come up with are the methods, but without any advice on how to actually do them and with no pics. its really a beginner's question but i would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me with it. also when it comes to sturdiness im on the OVERKILL side of the table so i need the joints to be very durable and withstand weight (and biscuits seems like a extremely week way of joining, being just an oval piece of wood and all).
just so u know. :)
thanks!

3 toed sloth
28th March 2012, 06:34 AM
Hello Eru, and welcome to the forum.:U

Have a look at "knock down fittings" in google images. Lots of good ideas there.

Eru
28th March 2012, 06:59 AM
hey thanks for the quick reply. those fittings look good but i am looking for a way of joining that wont have any detectable elements (kinda like buscuit joint only for particle wood, and stronger if possible)

Eru
28th March 2012, 07:40 AM
ok ive dug up these two types of knock down fittings which look to me like the ones i wanna use. can anyone explain how are they done?

nrb
29th March 2012, 04:49 PM
Biscuits are one way to go,don't worry about them being weak they make a very strong joint and swell with the glue so they come up very tight.
The glue edges also add strength.
If you don't like that dowel them together.:2tsup:

Eru
1st April 2012, 05:16 AM
ok then ill give them a try and see how it goes :)

soundman
1st April 2012, 02:39 PM
There are all sorts of ways to join the manufactured boards and get strong joints.

It all depends on what short of intersection in involved.

rebated joins that are simply glued can be incredibly strong even using relativly modest glues.

in that sort of thickness material plain and simple glued butt joints can be quite servicable as lond as the design of the piece is good.

Tape folded miter joints come up pretty strong in closed section hollows.

Then the whole no visable fasteners, does not mean they are not there.

Simple but joints glued and screwed with the screws sunk deep and filled over can look pretty seemless particularly after it is all sanded flush and painted over.

I've built plenty of stuff with very simple joinery methods, and burried the screws under bog......ya wont see a seam or a fastener on any of it.

then you can move on to pocket hole screwing, knock down fasteners and all sorts of fancy stuff

cheers