PDA

View Full Version : Sip ideal 240, any good?

Bcraig23
28th March 2012, 06:01 PM
I have been looking at buying a mig welder

I was going to get a new wia 190amp weldmatic but have been offerd a sip 240 ideal which is about 15 years old and has had very little use

What is the sip like? Are they reliable amd will i still be able to get parts for it

The sip looks to be better quality as it has a metal wire feed compared to the plastic one on the wia

dubman
28th March 2012, 07:33 PM
I've seen those machines
In fact I thought it would make a great anchor
Unfortunately it floated

Karl Robbers
28th March 2012, 07:49 PM
I have been looking at buying a mig welder

I was going to get a new wia 190amp weldmatic but have been offerd a sip 240 ideal which is about 15 years old and has had very little use

What is the sip like? Are they reliable amd will i still be able to get parts for it

The sip looks to be better quality as it has a metal wire feed compared to the plastic one on the wia
What are you intending to do with it?
I would definitely strike the SIP off my list as they are at best a hobby machine and were pretty ordinary when first offered, (think of the spare parts situation, we don't see too many about). Having said that, the WIA is also a pretty basic spark generator. It only handles up to 5Kg rolls which would rule it out for me as price wise 15Kg are the best option.
Give a little more info and better advice can be given.

Bcraig23
29th March 2012, 02:37 PM
It will mainly be used for making bar work for my 4wd (rock sliders, tool boxes etc)

Most of the bar work will be 3.2mm wall tube

I have also looked at the magmate welders but couldent find much info on them

I can pick up a cig transmig 200 for $1025, anybody had any experience with these?

dubman
29th March 2012, 04:54 PM
seems a bit expensive
I don't rate the transmig 200 very highly from memory it has a very low duty cycle and has a cheep finnish
Have a look at what you can get the procraft 240 for you should get change out of a grand for a new one
they are made in Hungary and are probably the best value single phase unit around at the moment
If you need portability the transmig 175 or the bossweld treo 175 (although this one is new and I've not had any reports on it ,it looks nice )

Karl Robbers
29th March 2012, 04:55 PM
It will mainly be used for making bar work for my 4wd (rock sliders, tool boxes etc)

Most of the bar work will be 3.2mm wall tube

I have also looked at the magmate welders but couldent find much info on them

I can pick up a cig transmig 200 for $1025, anybody had any experience with these?
Do you mean the cigweld transmig 200 or the new 200i? Two very different machines.