PDA

View Full Version : This is for Tea Lady

Grumpy John
28th March 2012, 08:33 PM
It's been quite a while since I've done any turning and Tea Lady has been sending me PM's nagging me to get back into it. Well yesterday I mounted a piece of spotted gum and here's the finished product. I don't plan on waiting another 18 months to turn my next item.

255 mm Dia, not very tall :rolleyes:. Unfortunately there's some marking that looks like scratches,but I think it was caused because I used hard EEE which didn't apply very evenly. How do you soften EEE after it goes hard. Final finish is Glow.

203077 203078 203079

dabbler
28th March 2012, 08:46 PM
Nice piece. Love the profile.

Not sure about hardened EEE. After a couple of years non-use, mine seperated out and a pale white ghee-like substance sat atop the regular caramel colour. After some hesitation I mixed it back together with my finger. Seemed to work.

Grumpy John
28th March 2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks Dabbler, I was taken with the clean lines and simplicity when I saw a couple of platters done by Tea Lady. I made it as a thankyou to her for keeping on my back to get back imto turning, had a hand in it too.

dabbler
28th March 2012, 09:34 PM
Did you start with a narrower blank or a wider more bowl suitable blank and just keep scything away ?

If narrower blanks are used, do you start with a face plate or screw chuck?

I've always done bowls but have been tempted to think about platters. I like the clean lines too. They do seem like a nicer gift than bowls.

And having recently started general woodworking and turning again, the more examples I see from you guys, the more techniques I want to try.

Christos
28th March 2012, 11:32 PM
Nice and thin. Are you going to do more of these?

artme
29th March 2012, 05:22 AM
Very easy on the eye.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

arose62
29th March 2012, 07:15 AM
According to our wonderful hosts, and the manufacturers of EEE, use turps to thin EEE.

Top right corner of the info document at this link:

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/pdf/no10.pdf

Cheers,
Andrew

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2012, 07:22 AM
Just stir it first, you only need to add turps if it doesn't come good from stirring, now GJ, you need to make another 5 to match. :2tsup:

Rookie
29th March 2012, 11:04 AM
Not sure about hardened EEE. After a couple of years non-use, mine seperated out and a pale white ghee-like substance sat atop the regular caramel colour. After some hesitation I mixed it back together with my finger. Seemed to work.

Yep. Spoke to somebody can't remember who on Neil's stand at last years show, and they said that's exactly what to do. Just remix it.

Grumpy John
29th March 2012, 02:34 PM
Did you start with a narrower blank or a wider more bowl suitable blank and just keep scything away ?

If narrower blanks are used, do you start with a face plate or screw chuck?

I've always done bowls but have been tempted to think about platters. I like the clean lines too. They do seem like a nicer gift than bowls.

And having recently started general woodworking and turning again, the more examples I see from you guys, the more techniques I want to try.

The blank was ~270mm Dia. and 32-35mm thick. I'll do progress pics next time.
Thanks all for the hints on how to reclaim the EEE.

tea lady
29th March 2012, 05:34 PM
Oh! For meeeeeeeee? :D:U Berry nice.:cool:

Ruddy
29th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Nice one GJ