PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for Valentines Day

Peter36
13th February 2005, 11:36 AM
The box is approx 300x160x70 high , and has irregular angles . I separated the top after glueing up and at this stage almost stuffed the whole thing up as I used a flush cutting pull saw , which is fine for cutting off dowells but produced a wandering cut .After cleaning that up I didn't have enough height in the lid to do the rebate that I had planned and decided to use the buttons to hold the lid in place . Finish is white shellac sanded back and then buffed with EEE .Thanks for that advice Gumby . This was the first time I have used shellac . Tried brushing first - probably had 2 much on the brush as even on the flat the finish had runs - tried spraying next and that was 'nt silky smooth either so then decided to cut the surface back starting with 400 and finishing with 1000 grit

Sir Stinkalot
13th February 2005, 11:40 AM
Looks great .... love the heart shape.

Unfortunately when I first saw the picks I thought that you had made a coffin for your Valentine :)

doublejay
13th February 2005, 12:05 PM
Looks great .... love the heart shape.

Unfortunately when I first saw the picks I thought that you had made a coffin for your Valentine :)
I'm thinking of scaling it up and giving it to the mother in law. I gave her a chair for Christmas but she won't plug it in.

ozwinner
13th February 2005, 06:54 PM
Nice coffin.

Al :p

Bubinga
14th February 2005, 08:41 AM
I thought coffin too. Actually pretty cool.

ptc
14th February 2005, 10:25 AM
Me to.

Peter36
14th February 2005, 09:44 PM
Gave the box to my beloved this morning and she said " it's absolutely beautiful but it looks a bit like a coffin " As I was making it - laminating the veneers to shape the sides , cutting dadoes in the sides for the top & bottom , cutting the corner mitres for the corners each of which had a different angle , trimming the top and bottom to fit , gluing and polishing etc , the thought did cross my mind that the shape somewhat resembled that of coffin . So the decision is unanimous . It's a coffin . So instead of making some trays to put in it for my beloved to store her accumulated collection from Tarjay , I have decided to put a central divider in it and give the box to the kids to store out ashes in .:D :D Peter

basorrells
15th February 2005, 05:31 AM
Strangely, you say Valentines and we all see coffins. Doesn't bode well for our sweethearts this day, does it? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

None the less, it is beautiful. Keep up the great work.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Brian Sorrells<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>