PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Forum Stand - HELP WANTED

Pages : [1] 2

ubeaut
29th March 2012, 12:17 AM
The first show of the year is coming up in Brisbane -18, 19 & 20 May at the Showgrounds, Bowen Hills.

Once again we will be hosting the Forum Lounge thanks to the generosity of Impressive Exhibitions.

However to make it work we need volunteers to man the stand for short periods over the three days and more importantly we need someone prepared to organise the volunteers, roster, setup, etc.

All volunteers get free admission to the show.

The organiser not only gets free admission, but also all the hassles, joys and rewards that go with any organising job

Any volunteers please put your names down in this thread and anyone stupid brave enough to want the organisers job please speak up.

Others who have gone before will be glad to help with any info or advice you may need.

Cheers - Neil :U

wood hacker
29th March 2012, 03:27 AM
Count me in for a couple of hours, probably on the Sat (won't know for sure which day for a couple of weeks).

cheers
WH

gawdelpus
29th March 2012, 05:04 AM
I will be there Sat as well to help out again :) have prior arrangements for Sunday ,but might be able to get in for some time on Frid as well , cheers John

And for any one considering this opportunity its not hard work and a lot of fun ,also the best seat in the house lol.:D

Pariss
29th March 2012, 05:09 AM
I'm making the pilgrimage again this year. I'll be there for the Friday + Sunday so I'll help out Sunday morning for a couple of hours. Looking forward to it. :)

Bushmiller
29th March 2012, 08:08 AM
As I posted before:

I will be coming along on one of these days, although I don't know which yet, but will be more than happy to assist. I am assuming maning of the stand will follow similar lines to last year.

Regards
Paul

Christos
29th March 2012, 08:35 AM
Wow so many people awake at this hour and volunteering for the Brisbane wood show. :2tsup:

Bushmiller
29th March 2012, 10:06 AM
Wow so many people awake at this hour and volunteering for the Brisbane wood show. :2tsup:

The nocturnals:D. Can man the stand all day and will be found in the inner sanctum stetched out on the couch:cool:.

Looking forward to meeting up with people again.

Regards
Paul

Enfield Guy
29th March 2012, 11:34 AM
I would be happy to be involved again. Timing is a bit hard to confirm at this stage. Just finished a job and not sure where the next one will take me. I will know more early next week.

Cheers
Bevan

John Saxton
29th March 2012, 12:11 PM
Hoping to get over from W.A. can probably be available later on FRIDAY in the arvo

after a few hrs of some zzzzz.

Also can fill in empty spot on Saturday

Cheers:)

Perfect Pens
29th March 2012, 02:13 PM
I'm sure I could help out if required either Saturday or Sunday or both :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony.

dabbler
29th March 2012, 03:04 PM
Can probably make a few hours. Day uncertain for now.
Be good to faces on names.

Superbunny
29th March 2012, 07:11 PM
I'll help again on Saturday afternoon as I enjoyed my time last time and the time before.:D:D

SB

Baldone
29th March 2012, 07:41 PM
Certainly would like to be involved not sure when yet:2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
29th March 2012, 08:52 PM
We will be coming down on Saturday, and I would love to help out for an hour or so. I would say we will be leaving here pretty early so mid - morning will be OK for me, but will fit in wherever.
Cheers,
Shirley

dai sensei
29th March 2012, 10:16 PM
I'm in for a couple, just don't know days yet.

rhancock
29th March 2012, 10:41 PM
I'll do a couple of hours on Friday lunchtime / early afternoon.

Sapling
29th March 2012, 11:01 PM
reckon I could probably do a bit on the Sunday, don't know what time yet.

quatro-2007
1st April 2012, 12:09 PM
Happy to help out on friday morning for say 3 hours
cheers
Colin

Bob38S
1st April 2012, 12:24 PM
Friday afternoon at this stage - time[s] are open and will fit in as needed.

Regards,
Bob

quatro-2007
1st April 2012, 04:37 PM
friday afternoon say 1-4 or thereabouts is ok with me
colin

RETIRED
1st April 2012, 06:56 PM
Still looking for a coordinator folks.

tdrumnut
1st April 2012, 09:51 PM
I'm keen, but would like to know whats involved

plantagenon
1st April 2012, 09:53 PM
I am happy to work on a roster for you. I can produce an excel spreadsheet with people and dates, if that is any good. I can probably help out for a day too but unfortunately I can't commit for the full 3 days due to work commitments.

Greg

IanW
2nd April 2012, 08:43 AM
Well, this is my first year as a free man, I mean retiree, so I can certainly help man the booth, and any time is ok for me. As I don't have any other committments, I could be there all or most of the time (just let me have a couple of hours one day to scoot round the exhibits!). I will also offer to be the roster organiser/MC on the booth, so now you have 3 vounteers for that job....

Neil - could you post a sticky with an attached table divided up into hour slots, with spaces for however many people are required at one time? That way, people can see where the gaps are & sign themselves up as & when they are available...

Cheers,

Enfield Guy
2nd April 2012, 12:43 PM
Well, this is my first year as a free man, I mean retiree, so I can certainly help man the booth, and any time is ok for me. As I don't have any other committments, I could be there all or most of the time (just let me have a couple of hours one day to scoot round the exhibits!). I will also offer to be the roster organiser/MC on the booth, so now you have 3 vounteers for that job....

Neil - could you post a sticky with an attached table divided up into hour slots, with spaces for however many people are required at one time? That way, people can see where the gaps are & sign themselves up as & when they are available...

Cheers,

Good idea I reckon. That way we can all see who is doing what when and we can see where the deficiencies are. I'm now looking at a job in Broken Hill for a few weeks that may get in the way of my attendance / helping out.

Cheers

gawdelpus
2nd April 2012, 01:36 PM
From my limited experience of this event ,it is not onerous at all, just talking and explaining the benefits and advantages of being a member of this Woodworking forum and handing out leaflets :). It is a casual affair with a lounge and seating (coffee) as well for forum members , The biggest challenge is to set up the whole deal ,possibly on a Thursday , and then pack up on the Sunday . There is a computer set up in the display area on line and direct to the forums, so easy to demonstrate and show people what its all about . There is plenty of time to wander the rest of the exhibits and empty the wallet hehe . Cheers John .

IanW
2nd April 2012, 02:25 PM
OK. As a free agent, I'm happy to be part of setting up & packing away. I recall we used to set up Thursday evenings, years ago, when I was a member of the Woodcraftsmans Guild. But any times are fine for me.....

Cheers,

mkypenturner
2nd April 2012, 07:07 PM
john last years stand and laptop belonged to wendy
and yes it was thurs arvo to set up as i helped build it since my accomadation was like less than 150 mt away from the wood show:D
sadly due to funds this years i cannot make it :( but will be watching and hoping those on the stand can post some piccies or as one of the guys posted a comment from the lounge from his ipad :D
for those that do help out its also a great little storage stash to hide your goodies so you dont get sore arms

RETIRED
2nd April 2012, 09:58 PM
so now you have 3 vounteers for that job....Who else Ian or am I going silly?:-

IanW
3rd April 2012, 08:40 AM
Who else Ian or am I going silly?:-

I thought tdrumnut & plantageneon were (tentatively) raisning their hands, but maybe I am over-interpreting!

Well, if I'm the bunny, that's fine. I'm happy to get the roster going & help with setup & cleanup. I could be available pretty much throughout the show to keep an eye on things. Anything else needed?

Cheers,

polemic
3rd April 2012, 12:01 PM
I can do an hour Sun morn

animal.13
3rd April 2012, 11:39 PM
I will help out for a couple of hours if required. Tony...

IanW
4th April 2012, 10:04 AM
Hi Folks, looks like I'm the bunny for coordinating the Brisbane TWWW Forum roster &c.

I have made a spreadsheet, and put in the names of those who have indicated at least a rough day & time. There is also a list of volunteers who have put a hand up, but don't yet have a firm time. It would be nice if we had some way for people to access the spreadsheet directly, but we haven't, so I will have to maintain it from the info you feed me here. I will post regular updates so you can see who's doing what, & where the gaps are.

Only a couple of people were reasonably specific about times, so far. If you indicated a day plus morning or afternoon, I have just put you down for a time slot or two morning or afternoon, but if just a day or posible day, I have left you as uncommitted. If the times indicated are NOT what you meant, or I have made a mistake, please post corrections here, & I will change it. (The reason for putting it here rather than PMng me is so others can see when a time slot is filled...)

Righto, let's get the ball rolling. As soon as you know when you are going to be available, let me know. I'm hoping to have two people for each time slot, by the time the week rolls round. We already have a goodly number of names, so we should be able to achieve that.....

Cheers,

tdrumnut
4th April 2012, 04:43 PM
Sunday 10 - 12 would suit me

IanW
4th April 2012, 07:14 PM
Sunday 10 - 12 would suit me

OK, you are duly entered for Sunday & off the 'not committed' list. Thanks.

Cheers,

Perfect Pens
4th April 2012, 10:12 PM
Ian,

I am happy to fit in where ever I am required, so slot me in for either or both days and for whatever times as I will more than likely be there both days anyway. Gives you a little flexibility in filling up the time slots.

Thanks
Tony.

John Saxton
4th April 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi Ian,

You can slot me in 1400-1500 Friday & 1100-1200 Saturday if it all suits.

Cheers:)

dai sensei
4th April 2012, 10:31 PM
Put me down for pack-up too

IanW
5th April 2012, 09:01 AM
Ian,

I am happy to fit in where ever I am required, so slot me in for either or both days and for whatever times as I will more than likely be there both days anyway. Gives you a little flexibility in filling up the time slots.

Thanks
Tony.

OK, thanks Tony - done.
AusMaDDog - have entered your times.
dai sensai - got you down for pack-up.

Updated roster attached.
Starting look like a roster now, get in early to get your preferred times, folks!
:U

dabbler
5th April 2012, 11:01 AM
Add me for 1500-1700 Sunday.
dabbler

Bob38S
5th April 2012, 11:31 AM
1200 ->1400 Friday

wood cutter
5th April 2012, 11:47 AM
put me down for a few hours i will be there with lucas mills

Perfect Pens
5th April 2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks Ian,

Locked into my calendar :2tsup:

Thanks
Tony.

IanW
5th April 2012, 07:25 PM
Add me for 1500-1700 Sunday.
dabbler

Done

IanW
5th April 2012, 07:26 PM
1200 ->1400 Friday

You're in....

IanW
5th April 2012, 07:28 PM
put me down for a few hours i will be there with lucas mills

I will, if you give me a day & a time-slot, wood cutter...
Cheers,

astral man
6th April 2012, 07:25 PM
I will be up for the show. Not sure what day(s) yet but happy to put in a couple of hours or so. I assume someone will monitor this post and contact me?

IanW
8th April 2012, 11:47 AM
I will be up for the show. Not sure what day(s) yet but happy to put in a couple of hours or so. I assume someone will monitor this post and contact me?

Astral, yes, I am monitoring, but I can only include peope on the roster if they tell me when they are available.......

Here is the current roster - still plenty of spaces to fill.......

Cheers,

dai sensei
8th April 2012, 12:16 PM
Please put myself and Gawdelpus for the first shift Sat, he is getting a lift from me, so I know he is available :U:U

gawdelpus
8th April 2012, 03:49 PM
Yep all good ,more on Saturday if needed :) Cheers ~ John

IanW
8th April 2012, 07:05 PM
Please put myself and Gawdelpus for the first shift Sat, he is getting a lift from me, so I know he is available :U:U

OK Neil, I have put you both down for the first hour (10-11AM) - OK?

We're looking pretty good for just about all of Saturday and Sunday morning. Still need a willing hand or two for Friday, particularly the first hour or two....
Cheers,

nosnow
8th April 2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Ian
I can do friday morning if you need
Cheers Rod

IanW
9th April 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi Ian
I can do friday morning if you need
Cheers Rod

OK Rod, excellent. I've put you down for the first hour.

It's starting to look like a real roster, now. If some of the people who have volunteered, but not given a time, could look at the gaps & see if they can fill one of the spare times, we will have most of it covered already. We still have more than a month to go, so it's looking pretty good.....

Cheers,

Enfield Guy
10th April 2012, 10:35 PM
Put me down for the first two hours on the friday.

Cheers
Bev

Bushmiller
10th April 2012, 10:42 PM
Ian

Would you like to slot me in for 1400-1500 on Sunday?

Regards
Paul

mhoffmann
11th April 2012, 08:53 AM
The first show of the year is coming up in Brisbane -18, 19 & 20 May at the Showgrounds, Bowen Hills.

Once again we will be hosting the Forum Lounge thanks to the generosity of Impressive Exhibitions.

However to make it work we need volunteers to man the stand for short periods over the three days and more importantly we need someone prepared to organise the volunteers, roster, setup, etc.

The organiser not only gets free admission, but also all the hassles, joys and rewards that go with any organising job
Any volunteers please put your names down in this thread and anyone stupid brave enough to want the organisers job please speak up.

Others who have gone before will be glad to help with any info or advice you may need.

Neil, I will be available to volunteer some time on the Sunday morning till about lunch time. Let me know if you can slot me in.
Regards Max

IanW
11th April 2012, 07:29 PM
Put me down for the first two hours on the friday.

Cheers
Bev

Done.

Ian

Would you like to slot me in for 1400-1500 on Sunday?

Regards
Paul

Yep, you're there now.

We're going well. Only the last two hours of Friday with totally empty slots (everyone got something special on for Friday night? :U). There are still plenty of second volunteer slots scattered about too.

Updated roster attached....

Cheers,

IanW
11th April 2012, 07:31 PM
Neil, I will be available to volunteer some time on the Sunday morning till about lunch time. Let me know if you can slot me in.
Regards Max

Hi Max - I put you in for 11-12AM Sunday - OK? (current roster attached to reply above).

Cheers,

mhoffmann
12th April 2012, 12:38 PM
Ian W, that time sounds good to me, I will be looking forward to the day. Regards Max

Nicnack
12th April 2012, 10:19 PM
Hey there Neil,

Sounds like fun, would love to volunteer. Don't know that much, but have helped out at markets, etc. So if you can use another volunteer, I will be happy to be there. Saturday and Sunday would suit me.

Cheers

Nicnack:):2tsup:

IanW
13th April 2012, 07:57 AM
Hey there Neil,

Sounds like fun, would love to volunteer. Don't know that much, but have helped out at markets, etc. So if you can use another volunteer, I will be happy to be there. Saturday and Sunday would suit me.

Cheers

Nicnack:):2tsup:

OK, Nic. Take a look at the latest roster (a couple of posts back) & pick a time slot that suits, then let me know & I'll put you on.

We're looking for two persons per shift, so there are still lots of places.......

Cheers,

Coffin Joe
13th April 2012, 09:44 AM
:- I will be available to volunteer on Saturday 19 May

benja
13th April 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm good for 12-1 on Saturday if it's still available.

Cheers

Benja

benja
13th April 2012, 09:37 PM

Cheers

Benja

I used to be a roadie, so if you need a hand setting up on Thursday night, let me know. Sorry I can't help with the packup on Sunday, its the mother in laws birthday, and since she is a fresh MIL, I better be there!

joeg
14th April 2012, 10:56 AM
:toot: volunteers needed :toot:

to help man the forum stand at the brisbane

all members

:welcome(1): & you get free entry to the show :2tsup:

please respond to this thread if you can help.

cheers - neil :u

joeg
14th April 2012, 11:09 AM
Sorry about that pushing the wrong button.
I will be more than happy to assist on Sat or Sunday

Regards
Joe.:B

IanW
14th April 2012, 07:01 PM

Cheers

Benja

OK benja, I have you down for the 12-1 spot, Saturday.
Cheers,

IanW
14th April 2012, 07:03 PM
:- I will be available to volunteer on Saturday 19 May

Joe, when would you be available? There are still spaces between 2 & 5PM....
Cheers,

wood hacker
14th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Ian

Finally got my day sorted out. I'll be there all day Sat so put me down for the 2-3pm slot.

cheers
WH

IanW
15th April 2012, 09:17 AM
Hi Ian

Finally got my day sorted out. I'll be there all day Sat so put me down for the 2-3pm slot.

cheers
WH

Done, WH.

Latest version of roster attached.
Stilll plenty of opportunities for those thinking of volunteering...

Cheers,

IanW
15th April 2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry about that pushing the wrong button.
I will be more than happy to assist on Sat or Sunday

Regards
Joe.:B

Hi Joeg, good stuff. Can you nomimate a time, please? (See latest roster attached to my previous post for time slots still available...)
Cheers,

Bob38S
15th April 2012, 12:33 PM
You're in....

Hi Ian, I see from the latest version that you have me down until 1500. I'd like to help out but after a 3-4 hour drive in the morning to get there I also have the same that night so would appreciate just doing the 1200 -> 1400 See post #41.

IanW
16th April 2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Ian, I see from the latest version that you have me down until 1500. I'd like to help out but after a 3-4 hour drive in the morning to get there I also have the same that night so would appreciate just doing the 1200 -> 1400 See post #41.

Sorry Bob, I mistook your message. With my background, I automatically read '>1400' as "greater than 1400" so put you through to the next time (1500). :doh: No probs., I have removed you from the 14-1500 slot. You can go home early (if you behave yourself!).... :U

Cheers,

Bob38S
16th April 2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry Bob, I mistook your message. With my background, I automatically read '>1400' as "greater than 1400" so put you through to the next time (1500). :doh: No probs., I have removed you from the 14-1500 slot. You can go home early (if you behave yourself!).... :U

Cheers,

Thanks for that.

the "->" is in fact a carry over from my hand written work days when I would place an arrow between times. :B

powderpost
19th April 2012, 11:08 AM
Ian, I am coming down Sunday, will check in Sunday morning, probably for a late shift Sunday afternoon as I have a 9.00pm flight and will need to fill in some time.
p.s. Make that from 4.00pm Sunday and for clean up as well.
Jim

polemic
19th April 2012, 02:50 PM
I can do Sun 12-1

IanW
20th April 2012, 08:46 AM
Ian, I am coming down Sunday, will check in Sunday morning, probably for a late shift Sunday afternoon as I have a 9.00pm flight and will need to fill in some time.
p.s. Make that from 4.00pm Sunday and for clean up as well.
Jim

OK Jim, done...
See you Sunday.
Cheers,

Charleville
22nd April 2012, 11:49 AM
Am happy to do my bit. Add me to your roster at any time that you like except Saturday.

Happy to do a couple of shifts if you need it.

IanW
23rd April 2012, 07:11 AM
Am happy to do my bit. Add me to your roster at any time that you like except Saturday.

Happy to do a couple of shifts if you need it.

OK Charl - the big gap at present is late Friday arvo, so are you ok with the 3 to 5 shift, Friday?

Cheers,

Charleville
23rd April 2012, 07:13 AM
OK Charl - the big gap at present is late Friday arvo, so are you ok with the 3 to 5 shift, Friday?

Cheers,

I would be delighted to do that.

IanW
23rd April 2012, 09:01 AM
I would be delighted to do that.

OK, Ta, you're in.....

Updated roster attached. We've got most times covered by at least one volunteer, now, so we are almost there.

if anyone is thinking of putting their hand up, but worried about being left holding the fort on their own, it won't happen, because I'll be hanging about most of the time, so there should be someone there at all times to help.....

Cheers,

Bushmiller
23rd April 2012, 09:10 AM
if anyone is thinking of putting their hand up, but worried about being left holding the fort on their own, it won't happen, because I'll be hanging about most of the time, so there should be someone there at all times to help.....

Cheers,

Ian

To confirm that, my experience from last year was that forum members were "hanging around" constantly and there was rarely a time when there weren't at least three or more at the stand.

Regards
Paul

IanW
23rd April 2012, 07:14 PM
Ian

To confirm that, my experience from last year was that forum members were "hanging around" constantly and there was rarely a time when there weren't at least three or more at the stand.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, yairs, I noticed also that there were always quite a few people there each time I went past. I suspect it will be all right on the night, as the show-biz folks say. There'll be plenty of drop-ins to mind the shop while we go for pe.. I mean, tea breaks.
:U

Christos
23rd April 2012, 11:46 PM
I see some gaps but not much.

I would encourage people attend the stand it really is so much fun talking about stuff, not always related to wood or metal working. :U

IanW
24th April 2012, 08:58 AM
I see some gaps but not much.

I would encourage people attend the stand it really is so much fun talking about stuff, not always related to wood or metal working. :U

Yep, it's looking pretty good, Christos, & there are still a few weeks to go, so I think we'll be fine. I'll be there most of the time, and I suspect many will end up staying beyond their alloted 'shift', so we should have it pretty-well covered.

Cheers,

Liz Falloon
27th April 2012, 11:41 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that today we are 3 weeks away from opening the Brisbane Show. All planning is at final stage now - whew!! Have a look at our website www.iexh.com.au (http://www.iexh.com.au) for our program. Our theme for this year is Come Try and Learn - making the show more interactive than it has been before. We have had a great response from exhibitors, and i am sure this NEW section will just continue to grow. Great to see so many offers of support for the Forum stand and look forward to saying hello. Talk soon Liz

Raven1970
27th April 2012, 08:43 PM
Hi there, I can put in some time on the Sunday. Will be good to meet some woodworkers :)

IanW
28th April 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi there, I can put in some time on the Sunday. Will be good to meet some woodworkers :)

Hi Raven - there are spare slots between 12 & 4PM on Sunday, so take your pick...
Cheers,

Raven1970
28th April 2012, 12:07 PM
Can do from 12 on the Sunday then, see you there :)

IanW
28th April 2012, 06:57 PM
Can do from 12 on the Sunday then, see you there :)

Done. I'll put you down for 12-2PM - OK?

Latest roster attached.

Cheers,

messmaker
30th April 2012, 04:40 PM
I would be available to help Saturday afternoon or Sunday
Jamie

IanW
30th April 2012, 06:56 PM
I would be available to help Saturday afternoon or Sunday
Jamie

Hi Jamie, sounds good. There are only a couple of spots left, so take a look at the latest roster (attached to post #90) and choose yourself a time slot.

Cheers,

Raven1970
30th April 2012, 08:18 PM
Yep, that's good :)
See you there

Christos
30th April 2012, 08:57 PM
According to the spreadsheet there is still an hour to fill between 4 and 5 on Saturday. This could be a very quiet time of the day.

IanW
30th April 2012, 09:37 PM
According to the spreadsheet there is still an hour to fill between 4 and 5 on Saturday. This could be a very quiet time of the day.

Christos, you are probably right about it not being too hectic in the last hour. When I used to spend whole days there as part of the Woodcraftsmens Guild display, it always went deadly quiet in the last hour. So I'm not too worried about those late slots. We have good cover for the middle of all 3 days now, which will no doubt be the busy time. I can probably handle the graveyard shift on my own if I have to....... :;
Cheers,

Christos
1st May 2012, 09:04 AM
Personally I perfer the busy times, more people to meet. :2tsup:

Gretsch
1st May 2012, 06:36 PM
I can make any day you need to fill, preferably not too early as I'll be traveling from NSW (1 hr south of the border)

IanW
1st May 2012, 07:18 PM
I can make any day you need to fill, preferably not too early as I'll be traveling from NSW (1 hr south of the border)

Good-o, Gretsch - take a look at the latest roster (attaached to post #90) and sede if there is a time that suits...
Cheers,

Gretsch
1st May 2012, 08:08 PM
How 'bout I do Friday 11am-12 noon ?

IanW
1st May 2012, 08:45 PM
How 'bout I do Friday 11am-12 noon ?

Done. :)

Cheers,