PDA

View Full Version : Archery Display

NCArcher
29th March 2012, 07:02 PM
I have a small collection of "vintage" target archery equipment. (And on the lookout for more if anyone has anything they would like to sell sitting in a cupboard :U)
The bows have been sitting on a temporary (6 or 7 years:roll:) stand and I thought it was time I did something about it.
I machined up some more recycled hardwood. I don't know what this stuff is (old house frame) but it is a beautiful timber. Solid and heavy with a lovely colour and grain.(although the wipe on mix I used darkened it quite a bit)
The top and bottom are pinned mortice and tennon and the middle cross piece slides out on the two pegs so that the arrows can be placed without bending them.
I attempted a fancy joint for the middle cross piece but was unhappy with the results so scrapped it and made a simpler one. My hand skills just weren't up to the task and the result was sloppy. No pics but I did recycle the failure as the support bracket.
Anyway here it is.
The arrows in there are just some old carbons I had laying around and are there just to see how it looks. They will be replaced with a set of timber arrows with feather fletches when I make them up.

wheelinround
29th March 2012, 09:09 PM
Tony the images that come to mind ...............a tune ......a tall bearded fellow & small stout friar ........you in green tights with bow in hand.:oo:

Like the display rack.

NCArcher
29th March 2012, 10:21 PM
I only don the green tights for special occasions

Claw Hama
30th March 2012, 08:27 PM
Tony would still look way better than me in green tiiiiiights )and they would be(, maybe we could have a forum archery day. I still have my old plastic fantastic 28lb from school. Used to have a little target practice from time to time.

Oh and the bow rack looks great.:U

dr4g0nfly
31st March 2012, 03:12 AM
I've swapped a couple of posts with people over the use of Dead Finish for making bows - It looks to me (from pictures) to have the same sort of heartwood/new growth as our Yew.

That natural lamination makes Yew especially good for bows, I've been trying to find out if Dead Finish has the same natural ability.

I know that the Aborigine peoples never developed bow technology, so I'm hoping that someone has noticed the similarity themselves and tried it out.

As a collector of Bows and other Archery implement's could I ask, if you discover something you kindly let me know please.

Thank you.

wheelinround
31st March 2012, 08:16 AM
Tony would still look way better than me in green tiiiiiights )and they would be(, maybe we could have a forum archery day. I still have my old plastic fantastic 28lb from school. Used to have a little target practice from time to time.

Oh and the bow rack looks great.:U

Thought you more the Friar Tuck type actually :q

NCArcher
31st March 2012, 10:08 AM
I've swapped a couple of posts with people over the use of Dead Finish for making bows - It looks to me (from pictures) to have the same sort of heartwood/new growth as our Yew.

As a collector of Bows and other Archery implement's could I ask, if you discover something you kindly let me know please.

Thank you.
I believe Dead Finish would be quite good for making a bow if you could find pieces large enough. I think it has a tendency to split. I recall someone experimenting with it a few years ago and they ended up using it for risers rather than limbs. Also known as red lancewood. Do a search here (http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/) you may find something.

Claw Hama
31st March 2012, 10:34 AM
Sorry Ray, not a religeous bone in my body:D

Groggy
31st March 2012, 11:21 AM
Vintage? I seem to recall using those when I was involved with archery in the 70s. Vintage huh? :kickcan:

NCArcher
31st March 2012, 04:50 PM
Vintage? I seem to recall using those when I was involved with archery in the 70s. Vintage huh? :kickcan:
That was vintage in the eBay sense Groggy. A term used to describe something that was manufactured some time before yesterday to make it sound more expensive. :U
At least I didn't say antique. :roll:

Groggy
31st March 2012, 04:58 PM
That was vintage in the eBay sense Groggy. A term used to describe something that was manufactured some time before yesterday to make it sound more expensive. :U
At least I didn't say antique. :roll::wink: Thought I'd aged more than I feel. I used to use a recurve for a while, a 'Black Widow', but technology kicked in and I couldn't afford to compete any more.

NCArcher
31st March 2012, 05:28 PM
You don't happen to still have the Widow do you? Very nice bows. More hunting oriented today though

Groggy
31st March 2012, 06:50 PM
Not any more unfortunately, it was a very nice bow at the time.