PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with Camphor Laurel

keeninterest
30th March 2012, 01:48 PM
Hi All,

A community-based not for profit organisation I work with in the Brisbane, Queensland area has received a small grant from Energex to investigate the possibility of turning Camphor Laurel and other weed-trees (Slash Pine, Broad Leaf Pepper Tree, Monterey Pine etc) into telegraph poles. This is a win-win because it removes weeds from our waterways and provides cheaper telegraph poles for Energex.

To the point: I am now tasked with finding out practical uses that already exist for Camphor and other waterway weeds. I've seen plenty of references to turning Camphor on here and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some books about the topic? I don't really know where to start. I'd also love to contact timber mills that reuse weed species and craftsman who work with them so if anyone can help me with leads there that would be great! Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

dabbler
30th March 2012, 06:22 PM
Hi Steve and welcome,
I'm sure the mods will move your posts to a suitable spot.

You should google "camphor laurel allergies" and/or "camphor laurel toxicity". Then report back that CL is no good for public exposure in general but okay for those turners with no allergy response.

Many woodturners seek this timber out and I know some that would risk felling power poles to get it easily.

Seriously - there are recognized allergy issues among a significant percentage of the population. Not large but still significant.

Not sure about other species.
d.

tea lady
30th March 2012, 06:40 PM
I know someone who uses it for chopping boards. I reckon it would put its smell in the food. :shrug: Maybe research what the tree is actually used for in China? :shrug:

dabbler
30th March 2012, 08:04 PM
I know someone who uses it for chopping boards. I reckon it would put its smell in the food. :shrug: Maybe research what the tree is actually used for in China? :shrug:

I've seen chopping boards in camphor advertised as antiseptic.

tea lady
30th March 2012, 08:45 PM
I've seen chopping boards in camphor advertised as antiseptic.Yeah! Its just not the taste I usually want in my dinner! Maybe good for amputations? :hmm: :D

I would have thought that camphor would not be strong enough for telephone poles. Might grow tall enough, but to fast to have much strengths. :shrug: Maybe alright for veranda posts or fence posts or something. I thought the chinese used tit for blanket chests and clothing chests because it deterred moths and stuff. :shrug: But that is without googling or anything! :C:U

Allan at Wallan
30th March 2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah! Its just not the taste I usually want in my dinner! Maybe good for amputations? :hmm: :D

I would have thought that camphor would not be strong enough for telephone poles. Might grow tall enough, but to fast to have much strengths. :shrug: Maybe alright for veranda posts or fence posts or something. I thought the chinese used tit for blanket chests and clothing chests because it deterred moths and stuff. :shrug: But that is without googling or anything! :C:U

C'mon Anne-Maria, they used what :doh: for blanket chests and clothing chests?

Allan

WOODbTURNER
30th March 2012, 10:15 PM
How's this for one camphor laurel minus trunk. We cut it up on Wednesday at Gympie Qld for a woodturning club and there is more!http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203373&stc=1&d=1333106066

TTIT
30th March 2012, 10:22 PM
Hate being the wet blanket but I've never seen Camphor grow tall and straight enough for even the shortest power poles which used to be 8.5 metres back when I was climbing them :no: You might have a chance with the pines except they will need treatment which isn't good for anyone (except the companies that treat them!).
I reckon you would be better to look at milling the camphor and looking to China as a market - they're running short of timber and it's about time we gave them some rubbish back :;

TTIT
30th March 2012, 10:24 PM
How's this for one camphor laurel minus trunk. We cut it up on Wednesday at Gympie Qld for a woodturning club and there is more!You came all the way from Darwin for a load of Camphor :o desperate or what :doh::U

WOODbTURNER
30th March 2012, 10:38 PM
No TITT, I was visiting mates up at the Sunshine Coast after Turnfest. My sinus's don't agree with the stuff and they threatened to load my suitcase up with a slab.

hughie
1st April 2012, 09:31 AM
[Hate being the wet blanket but I've never seen Camphor grow tall and straight enough for even the shortest power poles which used to be 8.5 metres back when I was climbing them

Yeah, come to think of it I havent seen a decent sized one either, re power poles

David Pride
1st April 2012, 07:18 PM
I use mostly Camphor for turning and sculpture. The big bowls are always turned green and usually have strings of wet sap spraying the room and me.I always wear a proper mask to filter the smell. Lucky no allergy. The tree pictured was cut about 1Km from our house. The guys had put a sign up saying free timber but no one took a single piece so I took the whole tree. No, I'm not going to cut a bowl blank with that tiny saw...:U

RETIRED
1st April 2012, 10:53 PM
No, I'm not going to cut a bowl blank with that tiny saw...:UNo sense of adventure.:wink:

keeninterest
3rd April 2012, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it. The Camphor does seem to present some issues for use as power poles but we're also looking into other great ways it's used so yes, the blanket chests / chopping boards / bowls / and pens are all great ideas. I hear it can be damaged due to its softness.

TTIT could you please elaborate about the treatment? Or point me somewhere that explains it further (URL)?? It would be much appreciated.

The toxicity of Camphor also presents an issue.

Does anyone know companies / sawmills (not just keen individuals such as yourselves:U) who would come and remove large Camphors and / or the pine species I mentioned from creeks and waterways in the Brisbane region? At no cost, taking the timber as payment. This is really the end-goal of the project as we're a non-profit community group, not just the power pole situation.

TTIT
3rd April 2012, 11:04 PM
...........TTIT could you please elaborate about the treatment? Or point me somewhere that explains it further (URL)?? It would be much appreciated.
Have a squiz at this page...
Timber Preservative Treatments - Texhnical - Pine Timbers Products (http://www.pinetimberproducts.com.au/technical5/timber-preservative-treatments/)