PDA

View Full Version : 19mm thick blanks worthwhile?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2012, 03:11 AM
'Tis getting to that time when I have to start thinking about heading back home to Oz... and looking at the timber stash I've amassed while over here in Canadia.

I've been hand-making wooden boxes (no lathe) so I've been selecting feature timbers such as heavily figured maple - flame, quilted, fiddle-backed, you name it! - mineral-stained maples & poplars and just plain ol' prettily grained. (And HUGE sticks of ebony! But they're already being looked after. :rolleyes::D)

Sadly, they're all boards several metres long, which are gonna be hard to squeeze into my carry-on luggage for the flight. ;) Looking at current shipping rates, along with the fact that the pennies are rapidly running out, means shipping it home intact is pretty much ruled out. :sigh:

So, I've been thinking about trimming much of it down to fit into my luggage for use as pen blanks, etc.

Personally, I have no qualms about a mere 19mm thickness for pen blanks (in one dimension anyway) but I'm gonna have a LOT of it. More than enough to last myself for several decades... so I'm sorta wondering whether anyone else may be interested in pieces.

So I know just how much to trim down... and how much of it I'll need to find a new home locally for.

(Not taking "requests" per se... just trying to get a feel for whether there's any interest at all!)

seriola
31st March 2012, 07:47 AM
I for one am always interested in highly figured exotic blanks and happy to pay a fair price for them. Generally the 19 mm blanks are fine but like the option of 25mm as well for the bigger kits.

The wife and I are heading to Canada about July. Usually have to leave some clothes etc. there to make room for the treasures gathered for the trip home.

bdar
31st March 2012, 08:51 AM
Andy would be interested mate, you can make a lot of styles of pens from 19mm pen blanks. if you bring the stuff home let me know if you want to part from any, even the ebony :). If you can hide a dozen or so sticks of oosik that would be good too :)

Dorno
31st March 2012, 10:15 AM
I would never say no so if you can work out some costs of posting some back (The best option) I will certainly have a look. We might be able to get a decent sized post pack for a good price and send some back that way ?

Just an idea

Cheers Ian

tea lady
31st March 2012, 10:36 AM
I can use that thickness for saucers to go with my pottery cups. :cool: And also lids for sugar bowls and tea canisters.

sundowner
31st March 2012, 12:14 PM
would sure be interested in a mixed lot,19mm ok with me
Cheers Graham

cookie48
31st March 2012, 12:44 PM
Count me in. Can never have enough pen blanks.