PDA

View Full Version : The Powermatic 4224 has landed (in my shop)

Bill Wyko
31st March 2012, 08:23 AM
Well, at last it's here, what an incredible machine. The castings on this thing are close to an inch thick just about everywhere. The quality of every part of it is absolutely incredible. Every part seems to have been built for overkill. The tailstock is a mountain of heavy metal and the Banjo is an animal. It also has two set levers to lock down the tool rest. The tool rest also has a recess for a finger guide, a nice feature. It's set up to have 3 ranges of speed, 0 to 910, 0 to 2000 and 0 to 3500. Since I'll be turning larger pieces I figured I'd change the belt setting to the lower setting. I was pleasantly surprised that the belt change only took about 30 seconds from start to finish, a very simple procedure. The motor is under the lathe bed with a metal shield over it to prevent any chips from getting in it. It really is great that I'll no longer have a motor in the way of my steady rest. It's also nice that the motor is so low in the unit, this gives it a solid center of gravity. Speaking of the motor, it's a monstrous 3 horse power 3 phase motor. It has a phase inverter built in so it can be used with either a 1 or 3 phase power supply. Another nice feature they include is a magnetic on/off switch that can go anywhere. It also has a built in 24pt index lock that is absolutely rock solid. That will make getting the tightest of chucks to release a breeze. I could go on and on with all the features this machine has, but I'll wait till I get to spin some wood on it. I have to say too that the people at Powermatic were absolutely wonderful to deal with. Very knowledgeable about every aspect of the machine and extremely friendly to talk to. I looked at a lot of other lathes but I just can't find anything else you could buy that offered more for your money (a lot more money for some of them) IMHO I just couldn't do any better than the Powermatic. Now I have to just stare at it until the 220V is done. Talk about teasing myself. I really have to give a huge thank you to the wonderful people at Powermatic, they made a dream come true.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I'll have it in it's permanent place this weekend.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24073603/401842766.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24073603/401842740.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24073603/401842747.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24073603/401842782.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24073603/401842792.jpg

hughie
31st March 2012, 09:49 AM
Impressive Bill :2tsup: a great pick up.

Scott
31st March 2012, 10:12 AM
Although I haven't seen or used one in the flesh, I love the build of the Powermatic. Great acquisition Bill, I'm envious. You'll be able to produce some quality work with that. Time to get it dirty!

In a year or so I'll be in the market for something of this quality however can't justify paying $5800 as opposed to the $4000 or so you've probably paid in the U.S. ($3670 after conversion!) Been looking at the Vicmarc's (http://www.vicmarc.com/) and Omega's (http://omegastubbylathes.com/) over here, they're definitely on my radar.

Bill Wyko
31st March 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks very much.
You may want to contact Powermatic directly. Maybe they can help in some way. They are wonderful people to work with.:2tsup:

artme
31st March 2012, 09:58 PM
Good one Bill.!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I've always admired the"Mustard Monster".

Bill Wyko
3rd April 2012, 11:14 AM
I have about a ton of eucalyptus so I chucked up a piece and gave it a turn. The slow start and fully variable speed are going to be very useful features. It really made it easy to rough out the blank. Even though the piece was quite out of balance, the machine had no shake or vibration in any way what so ever. In addition, this thing is completely silent. Only sound I hear is a slight sound of air from the motors fan. So smooth and quiet. Sad part is, the blank still has a lot of moisture in it and if you know eucalyptus, you know it cracks on its own if not fully cured. Left it over night, came in the next day and it has little fine splits all over it. Oh well, at least I got to get her dirty for a bit. Soon I'll be putting my big segmented turning on it, then the fun will really begin.

Paul39
7th April 2012, 12:47 PM
I have about a ton of eucalyptus so I chucked up a piece and gave it a turn.. Sad part is, the blank still has a lot of moisture in it and if you know eucalyptus, you know it cracks on its own if not fully cured. Left it over night, came in the next day and it has little fine splits all over it.

I have had luck with rough turning bowls from fresh cut timber and then submerging them in 50 - 50 % hand dishwashing liquid and water for 2 - 3 weeks.

I take the bowl out, let drain, and wrap in 5 to 10 layers of newspaper and let dry for a month. Then I rechuck and take a bit more off, making the wall thickness less than 10% of the diameter. I let the bowl lounge around the shop another month naked, and then final turn and finish.

Not absolutely fool proof, but it does cut down on cracking.

Richard Raffan has written, "you can do all of the favorite methods to prevent cracking, or nothing, some crack and some don't". Not an exact quote but the general idea.

Bill Wyko
8th April 2012, 04:31 AM
Thanks very much for the advice. I'll give it a try. We're coming into the warm months here so that should work well. I literally have about 2000 to 3000 lbs of this wood. The tree was almost 4 feet in diameter. It all has anchorseal on it but I'll try to rough out one and do as you say. I'd like to get some of this on the lathe so you way will help. Thanks very much.

Bill,

Paul39
8th April 2012, 11:36 AM
Bill,

What a treasure. I have good luck with new big rounds by splitting them down the middle and stacking them flat side down on a pallet in the shade. I suspect shade and 50% humidity is in short supply in Tucson.

I usually cut my logs into bolts twice as long as the diameter, so that if there is checking or splitting in from the ends I can cut off the ends and use the center.

I heat with wood so nothing goes to waste.

If you have not done so, make a bowl using the center of the log as the bottom. The grain pattern is wonderful.

The bowl at the bottom is locust. The pith was off center so 2/3 to 3/4 of the log was above the eventual bottom of the bowl. The tree was mostly dead with the white part of the bowl the only live part. A friend cut it down for firewood and I conned him out of two pieces.

You do nice turnings.

dr4g0nfly
9th April 2012, 06:19 AM
Three horses, that should spin anything you manage to attach to it with power to spare.

Nice acquisition, looking forward to piccies of your output.

Bill Wyko
9th April 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll put it to use. The bowl you have pictured is beautiful. I just did a vessel of illusion, I don't know what the wood is but it looks very much like yours. Is that wood very hard? If so, I think that's what it is. Thanks again for the advice (and the picture.)

I agree, I don't think I'll ever slow the motor down. It's such silky smooth power too. I love the fully variable speed and the reverse. I'm so spoiled now.:U

Paul39
10th April 2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll put it to use. The bowl you have pictured is beautiful. I just did a vessel of illusion, I don't know what the wood is but it looks very much like yours. Is that wood very hard? If so, I think that's what it is. Thanks again for the advice (and the picture.)

Locust is the hardest wood I have encountered. It picks up silica so it dulls tools quickly. Years ago I cut up a dry piece for firewood at dusk and saw sparks coming off the chain saw chain. I investigated, thinking there was a nail or wire, but found nothing but wood.

Below is a bowl from 1/2 of a locust stump, I told my consignment shop that I thought it was a $100 bowl. The owner agreed, and said lets price it at $95, it sold in a week.

Your Illusion is wonderful, it could be mesquite.

Black Locust: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/244black.pdf

artme
11th April 2012, 10:28 AM
Bugger the chit chat Bill!! Get onto those segmented turnings!!:D:D:p