PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe It

Wood Butcher
13th February 2005, 10:01 PM
I dropped into the local amateur woodies group yesterday to ask about selling my old bandsaw. While I was there I watched three different guys using their recently purchased tablesaw while there was a few problems.

1. The guard had been removed
2. The saw was at least 60mm above the bench.
3. They were using a thin kerf crosscut blade
4. They were ripping stock that was only 10mm thick

I must admit though that they were using push sticks but still the thought of what they were doing scares the cr*p out of me. I am more scared that an otherwise excellent amateur group who have an immense amount of collective knowledge could go down in flames if someone injures themselves.

www.simplysoap.com.au

PuppyPaw
13th February 2005, 10:40 PM
did you get the chance to stop and have a chat with them about shop safty?

Wood Butcher
13th February 2005, 10:51 PM
When I was a menber a couple of years ago I had a couple of talks to the group about safety as I have done a lot of study into workplace health and safety. I did mention to a couple of the guys what they were doing wrong. One guy didn't realise and the other said that he has been doing it like that for years. My comment before I left was that I was suprised that he had all of his digits.

Sturdee
13th February 2005, 10:56 PM
the thought of what they were doing scares the cr*p out of me. I am more scared that an otherwise excellent amateur group who have an immense amount of collective knowledge could go down in flames if someone injures themselves.

I hope you talked to them about your concerns for they probably don't realise the dangers to themselves and the club and the other club members.

The trauma to all if a serious accident happened would be the end of the club and depending on the club's legal status and insurance cover it may well cost every member or comittee member a lot of money if cover is denied due to lack of due diligence in ensuring that machines are operated safely.

Safety in the club's workshop is a serious concern.

Peter.

Daddles
14th February 2005, 10:01 AM
While I was doing my boat building course, we had one bloke join us for a few weeks. He loved working on the power tools ... and whenever he did, it became noticeable that everyone found something to do on the otherside of the workshop. No-one wanted to be there when something went wrong. Fortunately, he only stayed a few weeks, then disappeared.

Richard

Iain
14th February 2005, 11:07 AM
About six years ago at our old Pony Club the idiot president was making wave boards using a circular saw on 2" treated pine, he succeeded but I never knew how he managed it.
I was there one day and we had to cut up some ply and I took my triton, the boards were very long so I stood at the back and held it up while he started the saw.
When we were ready to go he put his hand on the blade and reached down to hit the switch, I shoved the board and sat him on his bum and he started to abuse me, he reckoned that he was not operating in a dangerous manner and that he would have moved his hand in time.
He was about 70 and still had all his bits intact.