PDA

View Full Version : spotted this

morrisman
31st March 2012, 02:36 PM
hi'

Just wondering. I spotted these two items and may have a chance to buy them.

The small mill has been CNC'd , it is a project somebody has done. Its a HAFCO amchine

The sharpener has a 3 phase motor . Not sure how much to offer ?

Mike

rodm
31st March 2012, 03:12 PM
The CNC mill is an Seig X2 head and column (the one they fit to the C6 lathe) grafted to a compund table of some description.
Things to look for are backlash ie does it have ballscrews or standard screws and nuts and does it come with a computer, electronics, software, etc. A demo would be appropriate. If it is complete then a fair price would be $1k to $1.5k.
BTW the 4th axis probably has a fair amount of backlash.

The other photos are a Tool and cutter grinder so you have either had one of those blank moments between the brain and keyboard or there are more photos to come. :)

morrisman
31st March 2012, 03:31 PM
hi Rod

Yes the mill looks like a bit of this and that thrown together

The Mill comes with a computer and cables , the computer is ancient , a 486 I think , running W95 maybe . The manual in the pic , describes the conversion to CNC . The machine hasn't been used for years by the look of it .

I think the Addison T&C grinder was made in INDIA ..... :? but I'm not 100% sure . It looks well made . Probably out of my price range anyway . MIKE

Pete F
31st March 2012, 03:47 PM
Done well that little X2 would be worth at least that, but in this case it doesn't look like it's a particularly good conversion ... with all due respects to the person who did it, so I reckon Rod's estimate is spot on. If it's turn-key and functioning, probably at the top end of that, especially with the 4th axis, albeit a dodgy looking one at that.

Rod I had that advertisement for the CNC mill you put me on to in Perth open in my browsers (on two machines no less) for several weeks. I went to Perth a number of times during that time and managed to resist calling the guy up and going to have a look. Several weeks of having a tab open and saying " .... must ...re ..sist..... must re .... sist ..." Had I gone I almost certainly would have offered to buy it, so I think I did well to resist the temptation!!!

Pete

Abratool
31st March 2012, 03:48 PM
Mike
Sometimes, I notice these Tool & Cutter grinders do not go for a high price.
I saw a "Bathurst" brand (Australian Mfg) go recently on E Bay for about $500
It looked fairly good.
The mill has a bit of flight rust. I was looking at the idea of buying one a while back but came to the conclusion that it would not give me much more than my current Hercus model O mill. Not sure how these mills go on robust cuts on steel. The demos always show cutting aluminium.:rolleyes:
By the way that picture in the background of a Steam train on the Zig Zag railway NSW, is the same as one I have hanging in the workshop.
Nice things, Steam Trains :2tsup:
regards
Bruce

Michael G
31st March 2012, 04:20 PM
With T&C grinders, it is the fixtures that go with it you need to look for. While you can make your own, a lot of work can go into doing that so if that T&C grinder is only as shown it looks like it is only set up to do drill bits. If on the other hand there is a hidden box with centres, end mill holders, lathe tool holders and the like then it could be worth considering.
I'm a cheap bugger (could explain why I never seem to find one), but I'd suggest that just for the basic grinder maybe $600 to $700? As you add tooling, add money...

Michael

morrisman
31st March 2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Bruce

The owner of the machines has passed away and its all being sold - It will happen to us all one day :no:. He was into 7" gauge steam railways, he had a track and all . Already sold, two 1954 ? Studebaker cars , a Lanz tractor and heaps of scrap. He was a real Bowerbird collector . No lathes though :C

The Mill is Ok for light work .... Brass and Alu. would be good , but steel , a bit iffy I would think . Mike.

morrisman
31st March 2012, 04:31 PM
With T&C grinders, it is the fixtures that go with it you need to look for. While you can make your own, a lot of work can go into doing that so if that T&C grinder is only as shown it looks like it is only set up to do drill bits. If on the other hand there is a hidden box with centres, end mill holders, lathe tool holders and the like then it could be worth considering.
I'm a cheap bugger (could explain why I never seem to find one), but I'd suggest that just for the basic grinder maybe $600 to $700? As you add tooling, add money...

Michael

Yes good point ... I was thinking of that amount as well . I didn't see any accessories with it , what you see is what you get . I didn't look inside the cabinet though ! MIKE

rodm
31st March 2012, 10:59 PM
Rod I had that advertisement for the CNC mill you put me on to in Perth open in my browsers (on two machines no less) for several weeks. I went to Perth a number of times during that time and managed to resist calling the guy up and going to have a look. Several weeks of having a tab open and saying " .... must ...re ..sist..... must re .... sist ..." Had I gone I almost certainly would have offered to buy it, so I think I did well to resist the temptation!!!

Pete

Hi Pete,
Yeah it looked like a good buy with all the extras. It disappered this week sometime but you made the right choice. Something bigger would have been more tempting I think.

Mike (Morrisman),
Sorry it was me that had the blank moment - I read your first post as shaper not sharpener. :-.

China
31st March 2012, 11:27 PM
If it is "well made" it wasn't made in India

Pete F
31st March 2012, 11:39 PM
Actually the size was perfect for me Rod, and agree the price was good for what it was. I even poked around at freight prices. A colleague was telling me he had 100 Tonnes of limestone shipped from over there and the cost was peanuts as there's very little back-freight.

I just couldn't justify the cost, nor the thought of another machine sitting here yet to be connected :( One day however.

Pete

morrisman
1st April 2012, 02:12 PM
Just got back from the clearance sale

The CNC mill sold for $620

I bought the Addison T&C machine for $620 .... with a lot of accessories :2tsup: A cabinet full of bits for it .

The lathes are being sold later in June .

Pics later MIKE

welder
1st April 2012, 02:54 PM
cool can't wait to see some better pictures:U:U what lathes did he have ou of curiosity ??

morrisman
1st April 2012, 05:37 PM
The lathes were locked away . Don't know what make or types yet

pics of the bits ........I'm not sure what all the bits do yet :?

Quite a few grinding wheel sof different sizes

MIKE

morrisman
1st April 2012, 06:02 PM
A nice touch is the little tin of green touch up paint :2tsup:for the scratches

Mike

Stustoys
1st April 2012, 11:32 PM
Hi Mike,

Thats a fair load of accessories.
3 phase I assume?
I'd say you got yourself a bargain.:2tsup:

Stuart

morrisman
2nd April 2012, 12:00 AM
Hi Mike,

Thats a fair load of accessories.
3 phase I assume?
I'd say you got yourself a bargain.:2tsup:

Stuart

Yes Stuart , 3 phase , a little motor .

The heavy plate accessory has me wondering what it is , in pic4 . It has brass strips inlaid into the surface and a square drive socket fitting on the end with ON OFF stamped above the square drive . A sine plate maybe ? MIKE

rodm
2nd April 2012, 12:04 AM
Magnetic chuck

morrisman
2nd April 2012, 12:09 AM
Magnetic chuck

OK thanks for that

Stustoys
2nd April 2012, 01:12 AM
Magnetic chuck
What he said.
Don't be tempted to take it apart, some(all?) of them won't work when you put them back together.(something to do with the magnets losing power that I've either forgotten or never really understood but sturmey archer hub dynos are the same)

Stuart