PDA

View Full Version : Where do I Shop in Hong Kong?

wbleeker
31st March 2012, 05:29 PM
Okay I know we had a thread like this a while back for Singapore, where do I go shopping in Hong Kong? I have four days there on the way back from Europe at the end of May.
Will

Wongo
31st March 2012, 06:00 PM
You can try Reclamation Street between Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei in Kowloon. They are shops there selling hardware, metalwork, plumbing and building materials. Google it.

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1251&bih=592&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=canton+road+hong+kong&fb=1&gl=au&hq=canton+road&hnear=0x3403e2eda332980f:0xf08ab3badbeac97c,Hong+Kong&cid=0,0,8814112434010246079&ei=v6Z2T83jIaGZiQe45_X8BA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAcQ_BI)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1251&bih=592&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=canton+road+hong+kong&fb=1&gl=au&hq=canton+road&hnear=0x3403e2eda332980f:0xf08ab3badbeac97c,Hong+Kong&cid=0,0,8814112434010246079&ei=v6Z2T83jIaGZiQe45_X8BA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAcQ_BI

Pete F
31st March 2012, 06:07 PM
What are you wanting to buy?

Wongo
31st March 2012, 06:20 PM
One more thing. There is nothing there that you cannot find here. You might see a cheap wooden block plane or a set of Stanley chisels here and there but they are nothing special. It is interesting to have a look though.

wbleeker
31st March 2012, 06:37 PM
Pete I was thinking along the lines of some of the stuff CTC sells although I already have lots of stuff I'm sure a bit more won't go astray! So mainly metalwork stuff.
Will

Pete F
31st March 2012, 06:43 PM
One more thing. There is nothing there that you cannot find here. You might see a cheap wooden block plane or a set of Stanley chisels here and there but they are nothing special. It is interesting to have a look though.

No I'm sorry, but I am normally up in Hong Kong every couple of weeks, and I couldn't disagree more. In contrast to the crap that is sold here at top dollar, the brands there are more often than not top shelf, and the prices at least half what you'd pay here. SOME things are counterfeit, so you do need to know what you're looking at, however it's normally obvious if you've seen the real deal, and counterfeits are very much the exception rather than the rule.

However it's not like shopping here in Australia, the shops are small and very often don't have much on display, though some do. You need to know where to go and/or know precisely what you're looking for and ask if they sell it. If I was going there for just a short time and didn't think I'd be going back, I would make a "wish list" up of things that I really wanted and attack the shops with the list. Asia in general isn't the place to browse, they want your money and then for you to get the hell out of their shop :D Don't ask questions, they won't know. Regardless of the question, they won't know. If you've ever seen the Seinfield soup nazi, that's shopping in Reclamation Street. I have my favourite stores, indeed I buy all my fasteners from one, by the kilogram (about a buck and change Aussie a kg IIRC), so many of the store owners know me as not just a tyre kicker. But that's a bit unusual, most round-eyes are there for a gawk and are treated as such by the owners.

Speaking of which, the after-sales service is second to none ... because there is none. If something craps out on you, or you want a part for widget xyz you bought off them last week? Good Luck! Much the same as Australia in that regard I guess, though I guess at least the Chinese are more open about it :roll:

If you want "something like" CTC tools, why not just CTC tools :D Send Heine an email and let him know what you want to pick up and you can arrange to go to their office to pick it up. But you need to give him time to get it in, I don't know what the story is there, but he gets it sent over from mainland China. If you'd rather buy from other retailers then you'll need the list as I suggested. Trying to find some things is like trying to find a needle in a haystack sometimes. You can get pretty much anything you want, and it will range from "ok" to REALLY cheap price wise, but you need to know where to look. If you can tell us exactly what you want to buy, between Greg Q and myself we may possibly even be able to suggest the store. It's a shame I'm not going up there for a while as I normally go over there every time I'm in town and could check price/availability of what you're after. However as much as I say most stores don't have much on display, a lot do too, and it's pretty easy to spend at least half a day wandering through there. Regardless of what's on your list, you'll always leave with more than what's on it!

Pete

Greg Q
31st March 2012, 07:11 PM
I will be doing some shopping over the next eight weeks...I'm looking for a multifix toolpost and holders, a pipe centre and maybe some inserts. And a Fein multitool if I cqn find one for cheap.

And a good fake Omega watch to replace the real POS that I own.

Greg

Pete F
31st March 2012, 07:16 PM

Greg

Get the copy watch in between picking up your tailored suit and your "special" massage :D I could send you to a good massage place, but the girl who normally does me promised to love me long time and I don't want you to spoil the good thing we've got going!

Greg Q
31st March 2012, 08:15 PM
Tailored suit you say? Hmmm. Never thought of that. Do they still do those powder blue leisure suits? Maybe I could get a clown suit? That would be about the only happy ending I'll ever get:(. Plus it would be appropriate for my life in the bozoshpere.

Wongo
31st March 2012, 09:08 PM
My advice is don't waste you time looking for tools. Instead go to the Ocean Park, Stanley market, night market in Mongkok. Get yourself a fake Omega and a real Rolex. :D

Pete F
31st March 2012, 09:48 PM
My advice is don't waste you time looking for tools. Instead go to the Ocean Park, Stanley market, night market in Mongkok. Get yourself a fake Omega and a real Rolex. :D

I'm not sure how long since you've been up there, but IMHO Stanley Market hasn't been worth spending the buck fifty bus fare for at least 10 years! Well that is, of course, unless you either couldn't get your fill of "I ([heart] Hong Kong" T-shirts from the Ladies Market/night market, or alternatively have a secret hankering for Hong Kong snow domes!

Greg, yes I had a rather sporting pale blue safari suit made for me just last trip as a matter of fact. While I find the shorts do chafe a little around the groin area, now you've joined Bozo-central I think you'll find something similar just perfect for 6 o'clock cocktails. As a matter of fact I feel you'd look quite striking in something like this otherwise identical beige version, and may want to print the image out for them to copy
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z6pY1ldtEzg/SXNJcb7qYUI/AAAAAAAAAYo/eTDdE5JOgpk/s320/safari-suit-2.jpg

Wongo
31st March 2012, 10:53 PM
Wow you look a million bucks. :2tsup: Are you wearing a Rolex too? The one that tells the right time twice a day.

:D:D

Pete F
31st March 2012, 11:17 PM
Yes I did expect a certain amount of resentment, if not petty jealousy, once images of Greg and myself in our matching custom made in Hong Kong safari suits began emerging. However, you people simply need to understand that as the fashion gurus ... nee fashion Gods, that we are, unfathomable popularity and imitation is simply the burden and price we must pay in our stately positions. Mind you, I'm quite sure a cheaper copy could be obtained from Stanley, right next to the snow dome shop!

Pete

Michael G
1st April 2012, 08:21 AM
I heard a rumour that that's the new tropical uniform for you fly-boys...

Michael

Blu_Rock
1st April 2012, 08:47 AM
Here is a post on tool shopping in Hong Kong (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/machine-hand-tool-retailers-hong-kong-kowloon-88828/) that I did a while back.

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 09:51 AM
Yes I did expect a certain amount of resentment, if not petty jealousy, once images of Greg and myself in our matching custom made in Hong Kong safari suits began emerging. However, you people simply need to understand that as the fashion gurus ... nee fashion Gods, that we are, unfathomable popularity and imitation is simply the burden and price we must pay in our stately positions. Mind you, I'm quite sure a cheaper copy could be obtained from Stanley, right next to the snow dome shop!

Pete

Pete...I hear that the malignant dwarf wants us to adopt chrotchless chaps as part of the new get-up. The safari suits are just for cocktail hour I'm afraid.

GQ...and the didn't call me that fer nuthin:rolleyes:

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 09:53 AM
Or this interesting and economical look:

Pete F
1st April 2012, 10:06 AM
Pete...I hear that the malignant dwarf wants us to adopt chrotchless chaps as part of the new get-up. The safari suits are just for cocktail hour I'm afraid.

Yes that's quite correct, and I think you'll look sensational with your butt hanging out of them. However the more modest amongst us may opt for a somewhat more conservative look. The labelling does clearly state that the gold will however rub off if "rubbed excessively". Hmmm, can't say I've seen that product warning label before :? Anyway, don't say you weren't warned!
http://www.liquidvinylclothing.com/images/G1-A4-3001FrontT.jpg
http://www.liquidvinylclothing.com/images/G1-A4-3001BackT.jpg

Pete F
1st April 2012, 10:08 AM
Sorry, what was the question????

Thank goodness for the date!

Anorak Bob
1st April 2012, 10:11 AM
Thank you for that boys. I nearly choked to death on my coffee.:no:

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 10:36 AM
Here is a post on tool shopping in Hong Kong (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/machine-hand-tool-retailers-hong-kong-kowloon-88828/) that I did a while back.

Thanks Blu Rock, I have copied that info into my assault plan for Monkok

Greg

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you for that boys. I nearly choked to death on my coffee.:no:

Thanks Bob. We're here all week, two shows a day. Try the veal.:D

Wongo
1st April 2012, 10:55 AM
You blokes fly all the way there to buy a couple of G-clamps and allen keys. I hope you save thousands. Can you get me 20Kg Jasmine rice while you are there. It is slightly cheaper than Coles here. :2tsup:

Pete F
1st April 2012, 12:10 PM
You blokes fly all the way there to buy a couple of G-clamps and allen keys. I hope you save thousands. Can you get me 20Kg Jasmine rice while you are there. It is slightly cheaper than Coles here. :2tsup:

Yes as a matter of fact I have saved literally thousands by buying high quality tools in Hong Kong and elsewhere, as opposed to being bent over here, spandex suit not withstanding, and gifting a local retailer and chain of "distributors" twice as much for crap, because, you know, it "had to be worth their while".

However in the interests of honesty and completeness, my stash of clamps in fact came from Singapore, the woodworking ones are Bessey and the C clamps Record (as is, incidentally, my record 52 1/2 vice, also from Singapore). All having made the journey back two-by-two, Noah's Arc style, in my suitcase. The Chinese crap ones I previously bought locally for half as much again long disappearing into a pile of rust, having fulfilled their apparent design purpose of falling apart every time they were to be used, typically with spectacular effect just as I was doing the octopus dance, their rusty schrapnel having a seemingly uncanny ability to ricochet off every otherwise finished inside surface, thereby guaranteeing I would never be able to properly repair it. However your uncanny Uri Gellarism did indeed pick up on my allen keys, given that I was, remarkably enough, beginning to tire of the entertainment value in watching my locally purchased ones morphing themselves before my very eyes from hex to round, all for the price of admission of 1 Nm of torque. Instead of the alchemy show of watching "hardened steel" turn to pot metal, they have been replaced by Elora models, purchased as you quite correctly supposed from Hong Kong, if I recall correctly for the ruinous price of a couple of bucks each!

The rice, nah mate, our rice is Australian, we should produce close to a million tonnes of it this year with all the rain we've had. Very unpatriotic of you to import that :p

Pete

Graziano
1st April 2012, 12:29 PM
As a matter of fact I feel you'd look quite striking in something like this otherwise identical beige version, and may want to print the image out for them to copy
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z6pY1ldtEzg/SXNJcb7qYUI/AAAAAAAAAYo/eTDdE5JOgpk/s320/safari-suit-2.jpg

It's missing the slouch hat with leopard skin hat band and maybe a bolt action Weatherby magnum :2tsup:

Pete F
1st April 2012, 03:16 PM
I will be doing some shopping over the next eight weeks...I'm looking for a multifix toolpost and holders, a pipe centre and maybe some inserts. And a Fein multitool if I cqn find one for cheap.

Greg

Back on topic, I think you'll have trouble finding the Multifix Greg, can't say I've ever seen one there anyway. Fortunately, while popular rumour has it that God made Adam and Eve on the 6th day, as I recall it (and I'm beginning to feel old enough to speak in the first person), He was actually busying himself with more important things like making USPS international pre-paid boxes. Give it a go by all means, but I think Deutsch/Yank-bay would be your friend here.

Pipe centres I've seen in a couple of places selling lathe bits n bobs, but they didn't strike me as being anything to leave home for. However I haven't especially looked for them, so you may do better if that's the mission you choose to accept. The ones I've seen were quite large too.

Carbide Inserts you'll find by the thousand, however I would suggest taking some old ones with you to point at and scoff at the first price he tells you. They're all good quality brand names, Mitsubishi is especially common.

Feins. I can't definitely say I've seen them but think I know a store who sells them. I wouldn't bet my left goolie on that however. Nevertheless it's definitely the type of thing that would be sold.

Metalburg is a store I buy a reasonable amount from, they're at #299 Reclamation St, but in all honesty, normally it's a square search that begins at Langham Place, where I pop out from the MTR (BTW get an Octopus Card if you haven't already), and goes up and down the streets until I've had enough. While most of the shops are south of Argyle Street, there are still some on the other side as well, and they go right up to Prince Edward Rd. If you cross PER and head up toward Sham Shui Po you're in the Stanless Steel district. SS is seriously cheap in Asia, and definitely worth looking into if you need fasteners or even fabrication done (provided you come up with a cunning plan for getting it home!)

Pete

PS On a completely different note, about 5 minutes walk from our hotel is 18 grams coffee. 18 Grams » Causeway Bay (http://www.18grams.com/causewaybay) Don't bring a cat, you won't be able to swing it. You will see what I mean when you go there, it can seat about 6-8 people

jack620
1st April 2012, 04:29 PM
I bought my Fein Multitool at Metalburg. He also sells a big range of Knipex pliers at excellent prices. Also has a small selection of Snap-On in locked glass cabinets.

Also:
Metabo & Fein- Wing Fung, 421 Reclamation St
Carbide inserts (Lamina Technologies) and holders- 385 Reclamation St
Huge range of SS screws, bolts, allthread, fittings-304 Reclamation St.

Suggest you get off at Yeu Mai Tai MRT station and head north up Reclamation St. I just zig-zag up the road like a drunken sailor until I get to the top, then head south on canton St.

Enjoy!

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks Pete. I do in fact need a couple of small stainless boxes fabbed up. I wonder if they do while-u-wait? Fasteners I always need...and if $10 will get me ten kilos of good quality bolts I 'll be a happy guy.

The Chinese are doing a very good Multifix now. The local dealer even told me to buy it online for less than half price. I got the impression that he wasn't too happy with the middleman. The multifix is for a friend...I reckon I'll be happy with my Aloris for awhile. At least until I get the lathe running:-

jack620
1st April 2012, 04:34 PM
Continued....

For a huge range of Mitutoyo DTIs, callipers, verniers go to Apliu St in Sham Shui Po. Also engineer's levels, laser levels, optical stuff I don't understand, multimeters and other industrial electronics. It's paradise.

Get off at Sham Shui Po MRT exit 2A. There are shops for about 100m to the left and right.

Chris

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 04:34 PM
I bought my Fein Multitool at Metalburg. He also sells a big range of Knipex pliers at excellent prices. Also has a small selection of Snap-On in locked glass cabinets.

Also:
Metabo & Fein- Wing Fung, 421 Reclamation St
Carbide inserts (Lamina Technologies) and holders- 385 Reclamation St
Huge range of SS screws, bolts, allthread, fittings-304 Reclamation St.

Suggest you get off at Yeu Mai Tai MRT station and head north up Reclamation St. I just zig-zag up the road like a drunken sailor until I get to the top, then head south on canton St.

Enjoy!

Thank you very much for the waypoints. Have either of you guys found any particular stores in Singapore (Sim Lim or nearby) worthwhile for metrology or general browsing?

jack620
1st April 2012, 05:33 PM
Of course!

Mitutoyo agent is Regional Tech at:
Rochor Centre #03-566
1 Rochor Rd.

It's diagonally opposite from Sim Lim Sq.

The lady I deal with is Siew Poh. Excellent prices- cash only. email her first to confirm price and availability: [email protected]

Best not to let her know you are from Oz. If you do, she may refer you to the Australian agent. I don't think she really cares, but better to be safe than sorry.

Chris

Greg Q
1st April 2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks Pete. I do in fact need a couple of small stainless boxes fabbed up. I wonder if they do while-u-wait? Fasteners I always need...and if $10 will get me ten kilos of good quality bolts I 'll be a happy guy.

The Chinese are doing a very good Multifix now. The local dealer even told me to buy it online for less than half price. I got the impression that he wasn't too happy with the middleman. The multifix is for a friend...I reckon I'll be happy with my Aloris for awhile. At least until I get the lathe running:-

Pete F
1st April 2012, 06:59 PM
Oh Metalburg has the Feins? Good to know, thanks, it's possibly where I saw them then.

It sounds like I typically work the other way, stop off at Langham Place for a feed of Ramen from the Ramen-man, then systematically work my way down one side of the street, turn around and come back up the other. Don't want to zig-zag, too risky, may somehow miss a shop!! :oo:

jack620
1st April 2012, 07:26 PM
Pete,
yes Metalburg has the baby Feins (FMM250). They are 250W variable speed which is plenty for me. They come in a cardboard box, so I put mine in a Systainer. If you want the original, bigger Fein Multitool, I saw one in Apliu St last week. The whole kit and kaboodle in a plastic case. Didn't see the price. I'm pretty sure it was 202 Apliu St, but I may be confused.

Chris

jack620
1st April 2012, 07:28 PM
Greg,
for some reason your posts 28 & 32 are identical.
Cheers,
Chris

Pete F
1st April 2012, 08:09 PM
Greg apart from the district around Sim Lim Tower, you could take a trip out to Homely Hardware, Ubi Crescent. Like most things in SIN the prices have gone up a lot, and I noticed Metabo are doing Chinese made POS models there too. I used to buy Metabo, Bessey Clamps, and various other pieces, but now not sure I would bother unless there weren't any HKG on the horizon. Mind you I still managed to spend S$220 the other day, and the boss $280, so found plenty worthwhile. Consumables are still good, and while some may poo-poo that type of thing, it's remarkable how much money goes into things like that when you're doing a fair bit of work. I bought an inexpensive pneumatic rivet gun there the other day, very cool and seems to work well.

In Sim Lim Tower you'll find plenty of Fluke gear. You could always save up your bickies to buy a Fluke thermal imager for the ultimate bearing tester :D There's a Starrett and Record dealer on the opposite side of Jalan Besar and down further. It's a side street and the dealer is a pokey little shop on the right as you're walking down, I'm not certain of the street, but looking at the map I'd start with Desker

Pete