PDA

View Full Version : Small Horizontel Mill

TKO
1st April 2012, 03:17 PM
G'Day I am hoping that some one might be able to tell what make of mill this is,
I have had it a few years now, have renewed the bushes a while back,and a new vertical nut also, the damage to the ways was there when I bought it,I got it from a mate who had it in his Engineers works Melbourne, but I have never none what brand it is .

Is it posible for the cross slide to be repaired ,or is there a replacement available
I have managed to do quite a fair bit of work with it but restricted to be able to use clamps properly,Hope some one out there can Help.

TKO
Edwin

pipeclay
1st April 2012, 03:36 PM
Cant help with a brand.
The table can be made more usable but it would require the use of a Vertical Attachment if you have one.
Although looking by where the damage is along the bed you may not have enough travel to machine it.If this is the case it would need to be removed from your mill and machined on another mill.

TKO
1st April 2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks pipeclay, I have a virtical attachment which I use on the lathe,Had not thought of that Idea,as the damage is cast Iron would this repair alright and be machined,and would it be a costly job,thanks again,

TKO
Edwin

pipeclay
1st April 2012, 11:29 PM
The cost would in my opinion be relatively cheap,the biggest exspence would probaly the Cast Iron or Tee slot cutter.

Hard to say the best way to go about it without seeing it but I would think to use an End mill and machine the damaged areas to the bottom of the existing Tee slots and a touch wider and longer than the damage.

I would then depending on the thickness of the base drill and tap the repair inserts and mill base with at least 3 or more screws of suitable size depending on the size of the repair.

The screws I would use would be as big and as fine a thread as would fit.

Once the inserts have been fixed the Tee slots could be finished machine and the top face of the inserts machined to suit the bed .

TKO
6th April 2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advise I will have to get some one to sort this out for me Beyond my ability,so many thanks pipeclay,

Edwin.