PDA

View Full Version : MC900, Head Stock

Bruce Micheal
14th February 2005, 08:19 AM
D'day all
When tightening up the work peice, the head stock has about 5mm movement (the head stock rocks on the mount).
It's not a problem when face plate turning etc, but with the tail stock engaged and deep hole boring from the tail stock end, this can be a huge problem because the head stock and tail stock no longer line up.
I have tried tightening up the head stock lock handle as much as I can without doing any damage? But still the head stock has that movement.
Has anyone else got the same problem or has anyone got a solution?

regards

Simon-UK
14th February 2005, 08:59 AM
From your description I think you mean that the spindle is solid within the headstock, but the whole headstock rocks where it is secured to the bed? If this is the case, I would remove the headstock from the bed and check for wear on the ground mating surfaces. I would also check for trapped build up of dust / chippings / grease that may cause mis-alignment.

If I have mis-understood and it is the spindle in the headstock where there is play then the bearings are at fault. Not knowing the machine in detail (although I suspect from the name it is similar to the ??-900 range here in the UK, then the bearings sound shot and can be replaced.

Either way, 5mm is massive on something that should be measured in 0.01 mm increments!

Best of luck,
Simon.

Bruce Micheal
14th February 2005, 10:06 AM
Simon

Your first observation is correct. I will pull the thing apart tonight and see if any of the causes you have mentioned are the problem. I have a strong suspicion that the mating surfaces may be the problem.
Thanks for your reply

regards

Dean
14th February 2005, 10:21 AM
I have that problem but havent got around to pulling things apart just yet.
I put a piece of scrap metal a few millimetres thick under the head (well front right side with some part protruding so I can remove it etc) and then tighten it down. Seems to line things up a little nicer, but its only a temporary solution.

smidsy
14th February 2005, 12:38 PM
Bruce,
Before you strip anything down check this out - I had the same problem and it was a 30 second fix.

On the front and back of the lathe there is a claw shape peice that's part of the swivel mechanism - those claws hold the head stock against the bed of the lathe and have the bolt/handle for the swivel mechanism running through them.
Those claws locate in to the head via a spring pin (a metal pin with a slot up the middle so it contracts to a tight fit as you bang it in to something) and one of those was missing which meant that the claw was not attached to the head stock and the head stock could rock.

Unscrew the swivel handle and bolt all the way out so you can take both claws and check if the pins are there - if not any car parts or hardware will have the pins.

PM me for a mob number and I can talk you through it if you have a problem.
Cheers
Paul

reeves
14th February 2005, 12:44 PM
Dunno mate, on mY MC900 i had trouble when id id not realise i had to take the cover off and clean it occasionaly, the dust and wood bits build up on the belt.

I also took off the motor cover and cleaned aorund here, regularly.

I suggest taking the headstock off, goving it and thorugh clean and grease, i use Inox, clean the belt housing....hand test the bearings...and as mentioned above, check the tension and seating of the housing, the long central bolt and the side bolts, all of it.

Its sound like yr problem is in that area.

this may help definer whether u have a real problem or it just needs some routine servicing.

remeber the lathe will rattle and come lose, keep it tight buddy.

cheeeeeeers

Bruce Micheal
14th February 2005, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=smidsy]
On the front and back of the lathe there is a claw shape peice that's part of the swivel mechanism - those claws hold the head stock against the bed of the lathe and have the bolt/handle for the swivel mechanism running through them.
Those claws locate in to the head via a spring pin (a metal pin with a slot up the middle so it contracts to a tight fit as you bang it in to something) and one of those was missing which meant that the claw was not attached to the head stock and the head stock could rock.

Smidsy
You were right, the roll pin (that's what they're called) was missing from the rear "claw", the one under the motor. I also noted the "bed" that the head stock sits on was not "true", if that's the word to use. The head sits on four parts/corners of the base and twp of these corners were higher that the other two. These are the two corners facing the tail stock. I have just finished placing a small dab of weld (cast iron) on the two lower corners and have used a straight edge and a small diamond burr (very, very carefuly) ground the weld spots level.

The head stock is in line with the tail stock and have placed a small lump of ironbark in the machine and tightened the work (very tight). It didn't bloody move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean
You might want to take Smidsy's advice and have a look at yours too.

Reeves
I'm fairly slack with the maintenance side of things, but when I had it all pulled down (boy there was some crud around), I gave it the once over like you said. The head stock moves with ease now!!

Thanks one and all, I'm one very happy little camper!!!!!!!!

reeves
14th February 2005, 04:41 PM
good to hear it Bruce, us MC90 guys gotta stick together.

I like Smidsy's mod, my lathe is fine but i copuld do with more sability.

I sawa guy somewhere here who put playboard across the frame and fille dit with gravel !

said is was VERY solid...

i bet

cheeeeeers

Dean
14th February 2005, 04:57 PM
I think I'll pull mine apart and check it this weekend. :)

Thanks also for the advice.

Bruce Micheal
14th February 2005, 04:57 PM
good to hear it Bruce, us MC90 guys gotta stick together.

I like Smidsy's mod, my lathe is fine but i copuld do with more sability.

I sawa guy somewhere here who put playboard across the frame and fille dit with gravel !

said is was VERY solid...

i bet

cheeeeeers

Reeves
I understand the stabilty problem and I know there have been several threads in the forums about it.
I am going to make my own stand for it out of heavy gauge RHS (I am about best the welder around as long as the material is over 10mm thick! lol). I beleive there are cast iron legs available for them, but as mentioned in one of the forums, they may be inclined to crack? with the stresses placed on them (so will my welds!!!!).
Just on another point, as we know the Woodcraft Shoppe has closed down, but we now have Toowoomba Woodworks with Selwyn there sometimes. Bought a bit of stuff (expensive) from them. I think they will only get better!!!

regards

smidsy
14th February 2005, 06:30 PM
Hei Bruce,
Glad you had a win, I knew about the roll pin (so that's what you call the thing) because mine had the same problem - I'm a fair distance from carbatec so I just got a pack of pins from the local Repco.

Apart from the roll pin my MC900 has performed flawlessy since I got it last May, all I do for maintenance is clean with an air hose and liberally dose with Innox after every use - but as part of regular maintenance you need to take the cover off, clean out the dust that accumulates (air hose is best lol) and spray lubricant on everything.

The MC900 may be a cheap lathe but it is good machine that will last ages and do some great work - but like anything else it needs a little maintenance.

As for a base for mine, I have been caught up with other stuff and haven't done a thing - the lathe is actually fairly stable except when starting to turn really badly out of balance wood.
What I have in mind is a decent base with draws underneath and weighted at the bottom. Something else I am thinking of doing is using an elcheapo trolley jack (you can get em for $20) to incorporate a wind down set of wheels so I don't have to remove the weight to move the lathe - this is something I'm thinking about, I'll post more info if I do it and get it working.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
15th February 2005, 02:23 AM
Paul,

This brings back memories of your call and almost "panic" (lol) last May when you had the same problem with your MC900. I remember telling you that I had exactly the same problem a few years before and that I fixed mine. Glad to see that you picked up on this thread and helped out some guys in trouble...........woodturners always seem to be ready to help out............great stuff mate. Now back to my fix..........I didn't go to get a new roll pin, as I figured that maybe somehow, no idea how btw, the roll pin may have come adrift, so I threaded the hole and screwed a high tensile bolt ( from memory about 4 mm diameter ) into the now threaded hole in the casting. Its been great ever since.

As others have said, regular cleaning and lube and they keep going like a treat.

Good luck, enjoy your turning.

:)

reeves
15th February 2005, 10:39 AM
Reeves
I understand the stabilty problem and I know there have been several threads in the forums about it.

Just on another point, as we know the Woodcraft Shoppe has closed down, but we now have Toowoomba Woodworks with Selwyn there sometimes. Bought a bit of stuff (expensive) from them. I think they will only get better!!!

regards
Yes i might make a better stand

Yes, on the Towommba woodworks, i have got osme stuff form them, its good to support them i think. A bit more of amarkup but i am happy to gets tuff from them, saves paying petrol costs to Brisbane.

I think thye nee dmore stock though. Ken has asked me to get some bulk turning balnks fro down at Mulumbimby wpoodworks, might happen soon.

regards
john