PDA

View Full Version : Brasso?

Chrome
4th April 2012, 10:19 AM
Can't find it now but in one of the other threads I think someone finished pens with 20 coats of CA then Brasso... Is this right? Metal Polish on CA/Acrylic?

Just curious as to why this might be used, Is it abrasive? :)

Whoever posted it, if your reading... Why 20 coats, it sounds like overkill? Can you explain your methods when building up 20 coats... do you sand in between?

wood hacker
4th April 2012, 11:16 AM
Can't find it now but in one of the other threads I think someone finished pens with 20 coats of CA then Brasso... Is this right? Metal Polish on CA/Acrylic?

Just curious as to why this might be used, Is it abrasive? :)

Whoever posted it, if your reading... Why 20 coats, it sounds like overkill? Can you explain your methods when building up 20 coats... do you sand in between?

Hi Chrome

That might have been one of my posts as I use Brasso as part of my finishing technique. Why 20 coats? Partly because the person who's video I watched to learn how to do the CA finish did 20 coats and I copied them, and partly because when I've done less I've not been as happy with the depth of gloss achieved. I know a lot of people use less, or use fewer coats with medium ot thick CA, but this works for me and only takes a few minutes so I keep doing it that way. Here's a link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f101/djs-timber-ca-finish-tutorial-71248/) to the tutorial I learnt from.

As for the Brasso, that's simply a ultra fine (and quite soft) abrassive in liquid form for a final polish after the micromesh. I use brasso, others use various automotive polishes.

hope that answers your question

cheers
WH

edblysard
4th April 2012, 11:50 AM
Chrome,
A CA finish, once it cures, is basically a hard plastic coating, built up to the turners preferred thickness.
Each coat cuts back into the previous coat.
Brasso is just as was stated, a fine polish.
Also used by a lot of folks is Huts Ultra Plastic Liquid polish or a paste product under the trade name Semi-Chrome…though you would like that name!
I have used Mothers Ultra Mag and Rim polish, or Meguiar’s, an automotive clear coat polish followed by Meguiar’s Swirl Remover.
All of these are super fine polish suspended in a liquid, except the Semi-Chrome, which is a paste, it is designed to polish the edge of cutting tools, like fine hand chisels and knives.
My best results, and this is only my opinion, is achieved with the Semi Chrome or the Hut Plastic Polish followed by the swirl remover, but Semi-Chrome is expensive.
I watched our finish instructor use the swirl remover to turn a lacquered table top into a sheet of glass finish.
I suggest you try the Brasso on one blank, the Hut product on another, and if you can find it, the Semi-Chrome, then compare and choose the one that works best for you.
By the way, any of these can be used over a wipe on poly or lacquer finish to really bring out the depth and shine on a wood pen and makes acrylic blanks really pop in depth and color.

Pariss
4th April 2012, 02:37 PM
G'day Chrome, I think your referring to my posts re-20 coats of thin CA them Brasso then Maguires Speed Glaze. If you want your pen to be the BEST it can be, then 20 coats of thin CA is the go. No sanding in between. Apply 1 coat CA then a tiny spray of Miter Fix CA accelerant and onto the next coat of CA. Why 20 coats, ... because when you wet or dry sand with Micro Mesh after your final layer of CA, you basically remove half a dozen layers of CA, so you only really end up with a total of 10 to 15 coats. If you only put 8 coats of CA on, your left with a pen with only a couple of coats on it. I can really tell the pens that skimp on the finish. A pen with 20 coats looks like it's encased with glass. Brasso, after Micro Meshing is just a super fine polishing compound, the second last step in the process. Finaly I apply some Maguires Speed glaze which is the icing on the cake. It removes any micro swirls in the finish and you end uo with an amazing finish. Here are 2 video links below from David (Timberbits). Follow his method. :2tsup:

How I apply 20 thin coats of CA as a finish « TimberBits Blog (http://www.timberbits.com/blog/?p=194)

Final buff before the assembly process. « TimberBits Blog (http://www.timberbits.com/blog/?p=209)

Perfect Pens
4th April 2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Mate,

I also use Brasso works a treat :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony.

eisbaer
4th April 2012, 10:37 PM
I've used brasso on VERY cured lacquer and it works, but I usually wait over a month before buffing. Lacquer has a tendency to be touch dry long before it has cured.