PDA

View Full Version : Timber for frames etc

Aberdeen
15th February 2005, 12:57 AM
My first project is the Hartley Husky 10'6"
If I can still glue, screw and nail it together then maybe a 20'+ will be next.

I have hoop pine ply already but looking for suggestions for suitable timber for the frames etc. Your thoughts appreciated - (south of Adelaide)

Daddles
15th February 2005, 09:53 AM
Woodcroft. My dear boy, I am at Happy Valley. I have two boats under construction in my garage as I type ... well, not much constructing is happening while I'm typing but you get what I mean ... don't you?

Seriously mate. Drop me an email
[email protected]

Cheers
Richard

Aberdeen
16th February 2005, 12:48 PM
Richard,
Thanks for the contact, have sent email as suggested

Glenn

Aberdeen
21st February 2005, 10:34 PM
I have bitten the bullet for the frames and used Tamanian Oak.
Next is to decide on what to use for the stringers etc.
The stock is built and the frames cut out.

My first project is the Hartley Husky 10'6"
If I can still glue, screw and nail it together then maybe a 20'+ will be next.

I have hoop pine ply already but looking for suggestions for suitable timber for the frames etc. Your thoughts appreciated - (south of Adelaide)

sinjin1111
30th March 2005, 01:49 PM
For the frames i would use clear origon. Good second hand stuff. Yellow stringey bark even. If you use Tas oak you will find it will be very hard to use for one. And once the moisture gets to it will start to spilt or at the very least cracks. Even good grade Meranti although whats around these days is very ordinary. Good clear second hand origon is easy to get.
Sinjin

Wild Dingo
14th April 2005, 09:27 PM
poisonally Id just go with some Jarrah meself :cool:... but hey thats just me yous fellas go for whatever rocks yer boat! :D

Hows it goin Richard? Long time no word either way eh mate... life and time eh!

graemet
15th April 2005, 09:08 PM
Fellas,
For a little boat, keep it light! Oregon or meranti for the keel and chines, WRC for the frames and stringers is plenty strong enough. If you use jarrah or tassie oak you'll need a forklift to put it in the water.
Cheers
Graeme

Daddles
16th April 2005, 12:56 AM
For those of you not in the know, young Aberdeen's Husky is not only coming along at an obscene rate of knots, the bugger's doing a good job as well. The man is an inspiration ... or a disgrace. I haven't worked out which yet. Whatever, it's going to be a gorgeous little boat. :D

Cheers
Richard