PDA

View Full Version : Gatto plan

j&j
5th April 2012, 07:36 PM
G' day to everybody, I have just received a plan of a 1930 A model Roadster. I am not interested in making this model, if anybody would like it for the postage cost's they are welcome to it. Please pm me. It probably should'nt be in this forum, but if was'nt you people would possibly not see it. I hope somebody can use it. Regard's j&j

_fly_
5th April 2012, 07:39 PM
PM Sent

FenceFurniture
5th April 2012, 08:46 PM
Blimey! Being a modelling ignoramous, I thought this was a plan for a scaled Mick Gatto. Have to be something less than 1:4 for safety.

_fly_
5th April 2012, 08:49 PM
And it would still stab you with a misguided nail

FenceFurniture
5th April 2012, 08:57 PM
Prolly make an excellent ventriloquist's dummy. Ol' Mick's never been short of a word! Jaysus - Chucky Gatto - now there's a scary thought.

Yonnee
9th April 2012, 12:01 PM
Jee's the quick and the dead round here... gone within 3 minutes. :doh:

Fly, now you have to post a WIP... :U

crowie
13th April 2012, 10:15 PM
And I've been visiting family up north for the past fortnight and just now found it.
Bummer, missed out!
But as you said Yonnee, gone in 3 mins.....
Looking forward to seeing your photos and notes in a new post "-fly-", thank you.
Cheers, crowie

_fly_
13th April 2012, 10:22 PM
Plans arrived today, Didn't even know they were on the way as I had no response to my PM.
They are not easy to read, grey print on dark blue paper. I'm guessing to stop copies .
Think I'll go for a cheap pine trial first seeing I've never done one before.
THEN I'll do a progress report one with some nice wood.
Peter

crowie
15th April 2012, 08:02 PM
Plans arrived today, Didn't even know they were on the way as I had no response to my PM.
They are not easy to read, grey print on dark blue paper. I'm guessing to stop copies .
Think I'll go for a cheap pine trial first seeing I've never done one before.
THEN I'll do a progress report one with some nice wood.
Peter
G'Day Peter,
Put the plans through your scanner and save them to a PDF File,
as in the scanning & saving process you should be able to adjust the brightness & contrast to make it easier to read.
This also saves your plans from the workshop/shed mess.
Cheers, crowie

_fly_
15th April 2012, 08:07 PM
Good Idea,
Think the picture thing I use also lets me replace colurs, so I'll try that as well as a greyscale scan. Means I can enlarge it a bit to help as well. Need to find someone with a A3 printer.

crowie
15th April 2012, 08:15 PM
Good Idea,
Think the picture thing I use also lets me replace colurs, so I'll try that as well as a greyscale scan. Means I can enlarge it a bit to help as well. Need to find someone with a A3 printer.
G'Day Peter,
Put your saved file on a memory stick and take it to your local Officeworks for A3 printing.
Cheers, crowie

Yonnee
16th April 2012, 12:36 AM
Put your saved file on a memory stick and take it to your local Officeworks for A3 printing...
...and print as many copies as you like, and give them to... :o

No, that's not allowed... I'm not condoning breach of copyright. Nothing to see here... la la la...

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing the progress.:2tsup:

j&j
16th April 2012, 11:26 AM
Peter, I sent a pm & an email regarding these plan's which you obviously did not receive. I would have thought a thank you for a free set of plan's & free postage to you would have been appropriate in these circumstances.
j&j

_fly_
16th April 2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Jim,
I had been checking if you made any more posts since I pm'd you as I wasn't sure you received it. Thought maybe you were not on that much.
So you are correct I didn't get your PM back or the email that usually come with them.
As I said in a post above I was happy when they arrived as I didn't even know they were on the way.
With regards to a thank you I posted it this morning to you on the way to work. First available day to get to an open post office after friday.
A note and some money.

Thanks Jim for the plans.

j&j
16th April 2012, 03:52 PM
Peter, as I said in my original post the plan's were free to anybody that could use them. A thank you, on this forum, on the 13th when you received them would have been quite sufficent. I hope you put them to good use.
regard's j&j

j&j
19th April 2012, 09:30 PM
Pete, I received your letter today, 19/4. A thank you note & $5.00.
I am looking foreward to see what you can do with this plan.
regard's j&j

Hermit
15th May 2012, 01:04 AM
Pete, I received your letter today, 19/4. A thank you note & $5.00.
I am looking foreward to see what you can do with this plan.
regard's j&j

So am I. I'm about to order the same plans from Gatto tomorrow. I hope I'm good enough to build it.
A good friend was born in '28, so a Model A model seems appropriate for a birthday present. (I just gave his wife a jewellery box for Mother's Day. Gotta even the score now.)

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress too. I'll also start a thread when my plans arrive.

Good luck.

_fly_
15th May 2012, 08:00 AM
I got a band saw yesterday so I can get into it. We can compare pictures. Be prepared for questions.
I've got my timber (I think) redgum, rosewood and jarrah but after looking at that 36 model thread at the moment I'm beginning to think I need a lighter one in most of it.
Or its going to look like a dark mafia staff car.

Peter

Hermit
15th May 2012, 11:50 AM
I got a band saw yesterday so I can get into it. We can compare pictures.

Good stuff. I just ordered a bandsaw too, the Hafco Woodmaster BP-305 from Hare & Forbes, along with an oscillating bobbin sander.

Be prepared for questions.

I won't be able to answer any - this is new to me too. Hope I'm good enough.

I've got my timber (I think) redgum, rosewood and jarrah but after looking at that 36 model thread at the moment I'm beginning to think I need a lighter one in most of it.
Or its going to look like a dark mafia staff car.
Peter

I'm thinking Tas Oak, Jarrah, Silver Ash for mine. Maybe a couple of others as the need arises. Toyed with the idea of Purple Heart for seats and trim. Zebrawood might look good for the seats etc too. I'll see what happens.

As well as the Model A Roadster, I bought the '56 Pickup plans. (The Model A for a mate and the pickup for me. Time I made something for myself.)

_fly_
15th May 2012, 01:39 PM
I was going to make this at the mens shed that I go to but the blade on the bandsaw is quite wide so tighter parts were going to be a problem.
Its also a bit much to hog the saw cutting lots of pieces, that why I have now got the bandsaw. I can do it all at home (still need to go to mens shed to sand them on machine).

I just saw J&J's 36 model and I like his cedar colour as well.
Now I'm not sure if I'm going light or red for main body. Need to think a few days over that.
Good luck.

Hermit
15th May 2012, 01:50 PM
I was going to make this at the mens shed that I go to but the blade on the bandsaw is quite wide so tighter parts were going to be a problem.
Its also a bit much to hog the saw cutting lots of pieces, that why I have now got the bandsaw. I can do it all at home (still need to go to mens shed to sand them on machine).

I just saw J&J's 36 model and I like his cedar colour as well.
Now I'm not sure if I'm going light or red for main body. Need to think a few days over that.
Good luck.

Thanks. Red Cedar is a good idea - I got a couple of chunks of ARC the other day that I was considering using as well. Definitely easier to work than the Jarrah. When the plans arrive I'll decide exactly what to use.
The models I've seen that use 3 main shades/colours look pretty good. I want to use nice white Silver Ash for glass and chrome etc, a dark colour for running boards, tyres etc and a middle shade for the main body parts. Half thinking about timber dye on the tyres.

Edit: A Dremel isn't a bad tool to get for this type of stuff, too. I've got a Dremel Rotary and MultiMax sander/cutter. Perfect for small bits and pieces. (The MultiMax is much like the 'Renovator' advertised on TV.)

_fly_
15th May 2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks. Red Cedar is a good idea - I got a couple of chunks of ARC the other day that I was considering using as well. Definitely easier to work than the Jarrah. When the plans arrive I'll decide exactly what to use.
The models I've seen that use 3 main shades/colours look pretty good. I want to use nice white Silver Ash for glass and chrome etc, a dark colour for running boards, tyres etc and a middle shade for the main body parts. Half thinking about timber dye on the tyres.

Good idea on using dye for the tyres. need to go to pops shed this week so I'll get some there.
I have drawn a few of the plans full size to I can cut them and glue to timber to cut. Also so I can work out where to take them from the board to have minimum waste.
I also did this when I thought I was going to do it at the mens shed, easier to do it all at once.
Takes a little bit to go back to inch measurements as well, but I'll get there.

Was also tempted to do the first one in plain pine to get learn first befoe using good wood but after seeing the amount of work.....
Time to do some more drawings.
Peter

Hermit
15th May 2012, 02:50 PM
Have fun. :D