PDA

View Full Version : For all you Mac users - better check your AV - if you think you need it

Ian Smith
5th April 2012, 08:47 PM
Apple release latest version of Java to stop Flashback Trojan | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/apple-release-latest-version-of-java-to-stop-flashback-trojan/story-e6frfro0-1226319846658)

Scott
5th April 2012, 09:48 PM
At the end of this story it also states:

The Flashback Trojan is believed to have been around since September 2011 and has infected both Microsoft's Windows and Apple's Mac operating systems.

Emphasis mine.

Ian Smith
5th April 2012, 09:54 PM
My windows is perfectly fine, thank you - get over it and get an AV

Scott
5th April 2012, 09:58 PM
Did I mention your copy of windows? No, I'm being objective with the story where Windows was mentioned as well. It's funny how Windows users become all "chicken little" when there's a whiff of malware in OS X. A patch was released 3 weeks ago. Problem solved, end of story.

Scott
5th April 2012, 10:00 PM
Re-read the article and can't help but laugh at the tone. So Java is an Apple flaw, is it?

Any security firm stating that Macs have been compromised are most likely trying to sell their anti-virus software using fear, because stating the facts works against them.

Apple users can just update Java, and get on with working in the safest desktop OS available.

Ian Smith
5th April 2012, 10:04 PM
, I'm being objective .:rofl:

An objective Mac user - now there's an oxymoron

Scott
5th April 2012, 10:10 PM
:rofl:

An objective Mac user - now there's an oxymoron

Hehe, why didn't you quote the entire sentence? Just an attempt to reinforce your already flimsy argument.

And you assume I'm a Mac user? My daily use of IT includes Debian (unix), Windows and OS X. I don't favour any.

What I am trying to say to you is that this virus infects ALL operating systems, good or bad. As I said, chicken little, be objective when pointing the masses to a story, your credibility is then untarnished :)

Ian Smith
5th April 2012, 11:00 PM
You have stated elsewhere in this forum that Macs don't need an AV and I quote - "I've been running a Mac since 1981 and Antivirus software is 100% not needed " and now you say that this virus can infect the Mac OS (among others) - so Macs DO NEED an AV, which is my point.

See, I accept that with an installed based which far exceeds that of the Mac OS, Windows is going to be the target for the grubs who write this stuff, but that doesn't for one minute mean the Mac OS is imune - it just hasn't been the focus of their attention. which is why, contray to your advice, Mac user need a good AV

My credibilty is intact -- how's yours??

G'night

Scott
5th April 2012, 11:02 PM
Night :)

Big Shed
6th April 2012, 01:32 PM
Storm brews over iCloud (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/iphone/storm-brews-over-icloud-20120403-1w9ay.html)

Scott
8th April 2012, 10:52 AM
Had to revisit this thread to see if the sky has fallen and as yet, it hasn't.

Seriously...

To answer your question about recent threads Ian, I will always and remain insistent that you don't need anti-virus software for OS X despite the recent 'threat'. Once in a while threats to OS X have only occurred two or three times since OS X was introduced in 2001. And when they have occurred, Apple have been prompt in fixing.

The next question is, "but what about 'key loggers' etc"? These kind of 'viruses' are dependent on the user typing their password in OS X to install the software. In reality, who is going to install a virus deliberately? This also applies to Unix type systems. I occasionally use Windows and when I do, disconnect from the net (I only use trusted software that I need at my place of employment).

If I were to acquiesce to your demand of installing anti virus (AV) software on my Mac for a once in a while threat then I would look rather silly forking out $100 or so dollars a year since 2001 when OS X was introduced. Thats $1200 I can spend on good working equipment.

I'm not saying that OS X and Apple is foolproof, it is. It just doesn't make sense to install AV software until demand necessitates a purchase. AV software companies insist you install AV software on OS X because it's in their interests, not yours.

OS X is the focus of virus writers attention and the market share of Apple products has increased to something like 20% these days. Why hasn't the iPod been exploited when it has an insane share of the market? Think about it, iPods connect to Macs AND PC's so why hasn't an exploit been sought for iPods?

To end this rather long winded reply, I initially replied because of the silliness of the initial story. Yes, OS X users can be smug when it comes to their choice of operating system which is why Windows users jump up and down and make a lot of noise when OS X is vulnerable once in a while. But in the end, the problem is fixed by Apple and Windows users then have nothing to gloat about.