PDA

View Full Version : New turner with some Wet Almond

Skewturn
5th April 2012, 09:45 PM
:U Ive only been turning a couple of years but with a busy young family I am not spending much time on the Lathe. My question is I was given some freshly cut almond tree. Ive sealed it but I am wondering if it is actually any good for turning what does the finish look like and tricks to working with it also I am having trouble with my wet turned bowls cracking across rim what can I do to prevent this. Any help would be good:2tsup:

vk4
5th April 2012, 10:21 PM
Skew,

with your bowls , leave them well over thickness and seal the outside (not inside), then store in a box wrapped in paper or packed in wood shavings for a couple of months,

Then check, if still wet leave, if dry finish turning.

Almond wood , yes nearly any wood can be turned (expect palm trees and the like),

Treat it the same as fruit tree timber.

Jeff

Skewturn
5th April 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help I will try those ideas out:2tsup:

hughie
6th April 2012, 12:04 AM
Yep keep the thickness up on rough outs. For me its around 25mm or an 1" and I paint the outside with BLO and store my rough outs in cardboard boxes several at a time, keeping a check on them weekly over the first few weeks and filling any cracks that start to appear with CA.
Much depends on the particular timber and its requirements, over time you will develop several methods of doing as per the individual timber requirements. I have yet to find a "once and for all method" apart from air dry over time.

I use various methods 50/50 soap and water, roughouts and Meths, air dry the blank before turning, roughouts and box store, and turn to finish real thin green, I have a microwave as well but have not really got into this method.

Skewturn
6th April 2012, 12:32 AM
Hi Hughie thanks for the info wet turning is pretty new to me all these ideas will help thanks:2tsup: