PDA

View Full Version : model bicycle

mikeyfreeman
15th February 2005, 12:11 PM
im a year 12 student i wont to make a full size modle of a bmx bike but dont know what kind of timber to use ,could anybody help me with the decision of wood for my job i need a wood that is good for turning but will still stay strong.

bitingmidge
15th February 2005, 12:33 PM
Mikey,

That's one heck of a big project! Depends on whether you want to ride it or not of course, and how you are going to make the joints, whether you just replace the tubes with timber.

Check out Bike Rod 'n Kustom (http://bikerodnkustom.homestead.com/) and go through the galleries, I think they have a whole section on wooden bikes.

Some of my favourites are made of laminations of ply and sculpted, but that won't give you too many turning opportunities. There are lots of different techniques there.

If you go ahead, how about keeping this thread alive, and posting details?

As for timber, I'd stay away from traditional Aus hardwoods, because they are too heavy, but I really can't help with what species you should use, I'd be looking at light timbers (weight) maybe alternating laminates of stronger timbers in contrasting colours, but that's very much a personal thing.

Cheers,

P