PDA

View Full Version : First turnings

michael_m
6th April 2012, 09:26 PM
Firstly, thanks to everyone for your advice as to tools to get. I now have a new (actual) 3/4 roughing gouge, and am going to upgrade my skew and get a bowl gouge in the near(ish) future. Until then, I have a couple of bowl gouges on loan to get me by.

I just thought I would post a picture of the first three things I have made; an awl out of a spare scap of redgum and a nail, a handle for an old dustpan that was lying about the shed from a bit of pine, and a handle for the new roughing gouge out of some redgum from a 50 y.o. gazebo. The scrap of wood the awl is on is the end of the wood the gouge handle came from.

All made using a roughing gouge (the first 2, with a large spindle gouge pretending to be a roughing gouge) and skew.

This turning lark is fun, isn't it? :)

powderpost
6th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Nice work... and yes turning is fun, a slippery slope but still fun. I like the roughing and it's new handle. Nice simple clean lines,well done.
Jim

Skewturn
6th April 2012, 10:22 PM
looks good:2tsup:

tea lady
6th April 2012, 10:33 PM
Very well done! :2tsup:

My Nana had a little shovel like that! :U

Grommett
6th April 2012, 10:42 PM
Oh yes, this is how it starts. Handles for kitchen things, tools etc. and it all has so much value (personal). It's the best addiction because it is so personal.

michael_m
8th April 2012, 09:38 PM
Cheers folks, one of the joys at the moment are all the 'firsts' - first time using the chuck, first time turning a cove, first catch of the skew, first time hollowing a bowl and getting those wonderful shavings piling up, first time shattering the rim :B ... At least I've got lots of free wood to practice on; a house a couple of doors away cut down some trees and I got a couple of trailer loads of fir, cypress and some silky oak (which isn't going to be touched until I get a fair bit better).

mick61
9th April 2012, 12:45 AM
Well done Michael, just a word to the wise apparently red gum is not the best for handles it tends to break(not my opnion just what I have been told).
Mick:D

dr4g0nfly
9th April 2012, 06:30 AM
Well that's you hooked on turning then.

Keep on with the Spindle Roughing Gouge for a while, you'll be pleasantly surprised how good a finish and/or how close to the eventual finished article you can get.

The experience will pay dividends in the long run.

Turners of old would change tools a little as possible (Piece rates) therefore anything that could be done with one tool - was.

orificiam
9th April 2012, 09:51 PM
A nice Start to get you hooked, Well done

Cheers Tony.:)

artme
11th April 2012, 10:32 AM
Great start!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nothing wrong with trying all those tools on this sort of turning. You soon learn the limits.

michael_m
29th April 2012, 09:02 PM
Cheers all, I've had a little bit of time the last couple of weekends to get a bit more practice in. My girls are loving having spinning tops to play with, and I turned my first bowl last weekend, and first platter this weekend. The platter was made from the piece of scrapwood that's in the picture a few posts above.

And, since buying a decent (hamlet) skew, I also made my first diy tool out of the old crappy skew, and now have a handy-dandy bowl scraper to boot.

This is fun :D

orificiam
29th April 2012, 09:10 PM
It's Good to see you haven't given up Michael, well done with the latest work.
I'd have made the platter a little thinner, But that's personal taste.

Cheers Tony,:)