PDA

View Full Version : Replacing windows in B/V walls

dallas
15th February 2005, 12:31 PM
g'day guys,

i was wondering if anyone would be able to explain how a aluminium window is installed / mounted in a brick vaneer wall, particularly ones with the angled bricks at the base of the window? either with a link somewhere, or even a quick sketch... reason is, i'm toying around with replacing some of the windows in my house as part of a 'facelift', and would love to know how to go about this...

cheers

D

conwood
15th February 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi Dallas,
I am presuming you have timber windows there now. Either way there will most likely be a frame, probably timber, and there should be a sill.

You will need to remove what is there. The aluminium window supplier should be able to advise.

Basically, find the window for the opening size. It should be a bit smaller so you can allow for a new timber frame so the new window will fit snuggly into. Then you will have to insert some screws through the new window into the new frame, and seal with a sealant. The sealant may be enough to hold it.

As I said, check with the supplier. If they don't help, go elswhere.

Cheers,
conwood

alexeib
15th February 2005, 04:02 PM
In a typical BV construction nowdays they put up frame, frame has an opening for the window, which is larger than the window. Then they install the window, inserting some spacers between the frame and the window. The gap is usually in the vicinity of 10-20 mm on each side. The window is fixed in place with a few nails in each side. Depending on the quality of the paint job on your window you might be able to see them -- from the inside of the window.

Then they brick it all around, plaster and attach mouldings, covering all the gaps.

To pull it apart, I'd imagine you should remove mouldings, opening the gaps between frame of the window and the house. You can then use a hack saw blade to cut nails, holding the window. You then might be able to slide window out.

bez
15th February 2005, 08:25 PM
I'm doing exactly the same thing as you have asked. I'm putting in aluminium awning type windows (The ones that wind out with internal flyscreens). Removing the old windows isn't hard, just as the reply you've had above states.

My dilema is ordering the correct size windows, I was told to take 3 measurements horizontally and 3 vertically because the window opening may not be square. I've done that and I know to make allowance so that it is not too tight to install it and it can be packed and nailed/screwed into place but if you remove the old wooden windows you have to order the windows with a reveal (timber frame around them), you have to tell the window supplier if you want a reveal or not so they can adjust your measurements accordingly. I don't know if you have to put any plastic or similar material around the window before you install it for waterproofing, also I'm not exactly sure what you put around the outside to make it look neat from the outside. I think you can rivet on some aluminium angle etc. I've already started mine (tonight), haven't ordered the windows yet but have removed one already. You don't have to remove them to take measurements. I would like some more info myself but regardless I'm going to have a go at it. I will keep you posted

journeyman Mick
15th February 2005, 10:24 PM
Your windows may be harder to remove than described. I was taught that to install an aluminium frame window in a brick veneer building you nail it to the stud wall through the fins that run around the window frame. Then the brickie comes along and bricks around it, covering the fins. It has been fitted in this manner you'll pretty much have to completely smash it to remove it as you won't have access to the fastenings. Not a drama if you're not planning on reusing or selling it. It will require a bit of brute force though (wrecking bar and hammer)

Mick

dallas
16th February 2005, 04:16 PM
thanks for the replies guys...

i'm just at that stage where i'm playing around with cost vs appearance in my reno... am toying around with getting the house rendered, but the problem is the windows are the old 'plain' type alum. ones, and wouldn't look the goods with a nice new rendered wall around it... hence toying with replacing windows to go along with the makeover...

I have even considered painting the existing alum windows to help contrast the render, but doubt i'd get a good finish... but must admit, i havn't followed this track too far tho....

D

Barry_White
16th February 2005, 10:51 PM
Dallas

Aluminium windows are usually fitted with a timber reveal in brick veneer homes, The reveal is fitted to the fin that is on the edges of the window and then when the window is fitted into the timber frame it is usually nailed through the reveal into the house frame with packers in between and then the architraves are fitted to the reveal to cover the gap between the reveal and the frame.
To remove the window should be a matter of taking the architraves off and then cut the nails with a hacksaw blade between the reveals and the timber frame.

The window should then be able to be removed fairly easily. You may need to remove any trim angles that may be fitted to the outside of the window before you remove it.

You should be able to measure the existing windows and have your new ones made up and they should fit in the same opening.

ozwinner
17th February 2005, 07:21 PM
It will require a bit of brute force though (wrecking bar and hammer)

Mick

Oooowwwwhhhhhh Mick, my fave pasttime after rooting, smashing stuff.!!!!!!
Mate, Ive almost got a fat thinking about it.

Al :D

dallas
21st February 2005, 01:51 PM
thanks for all the words guys... i had a closer look at one of the windows y/day, and after removing the outer metal strip, could see where the bricks ended and the attachment to the inner frame; ala Mick's way.... didn't remove the inner mouldings etc, but think i've got my head around the process now...

thanks heaps guys....

D

Trav
21st February 2005, 04:11 PM
I've got a friend who paints the alu windows. It looks pretty good - particularly from the street. The problem is the rubber holding the glass in - this doesn't paint well and still looks old.

You can buy some kind of plastic with adhesive on one end that helps you mask the window - but make sure you mask the bricks well too if you decide to paint.

I think she uses whiteKnight spray cans to do the windows. About a can a window I think she said.

Trav

dallas
22nd February 2005, 09:37 AM
thanks trav... sounds interesting... any primer / preparations, or just scuff back / clean and go to town? If i paint them, I would prob do them black, but the contrast in the channel sliders may still show... do you know how she get around this, or doesn't worry and only focues on the 'showing' edges??

D

damocles
22nd February 2005, 09:45 AM
I've removed and replaced both sash and alum windows and the methods were as Alexib has described.
Look out for a weather strip at the bottom front of the window frame, you should perhaps remove the ¨angled¨ bricks before installing your new window thereby allowing the weather strip to sit on them and supply a good seal against the rain.

Regards Rom