PDA

View Full Version : Price Wars

barrysumpter
27th May 2000, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been advising woodworkers to purchase hardware at better prices by taking advantage of HardwareHouse and Bunnings Price Wars. Which is: find a better price at HardWareHouse and Bunnings will match that price and subtract ANOTHER 10%. I've been saving heaps on Triton equipment.

Today I went to HardwareHouse for Makita 1900B metal blades (re-sharpen-able) the clerk who ran the skew thru the register and came up with $110.00 . And wasn't happy about skewing it again and looking thru the books to verify the price.

I then visited Bunnings (who is really my favorite) who had the same blades in a lock-up display cabinet with a price on the window of $34.70.

Since HardwareHouse is on the way home I stopped in to let them know about their mispricing. I mentioned the price wars and that bunnings had it for almost a third of the price.

So he rang bunnings to get the price and made sure it was the same item by giving the part number.

I came back a few moments later (maybe 3 mins) and the clerk was acting like he was really off. He said he found another price and here it is. $39.80 . I asked what bunnings had said and he said "This price". I believe he was keeping the truth from me. Otherwise, he would have stated the exact price like "$34.70".

I asked if he was sure thats the best he could do. His reply was "Yes it is".

Needless to say I left quite unhappy.
Not only did I leave thinking he wasn't telling me the truth about the price but was refusing to take the extra 10% off because of the price wars.

I'm sure your thinking that $4.00 isn't very much but it sure adds up in the end and would have paid for my shopping around petrol. Also the difference between $110.00 and $30.00 is $80.00. Which is an excellent savings.

I have suspected this before since I can't hear their conversations on the phone.

What I want to do in the future is ask the store to ring up the item on their register and print it on a receipt so I can take it to the other store. This would be proof enough and I wouldn't have to rely on the clerk telling the truth. Or rely on the price tag on the glass.

Thanks for listening.
Barry G. Sumpter

P.S. I am not a winger. I am not a winger. I am not a winger. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 29 May 2000).]

RFNK
27th May 2000, 09:55 PM
Wasn't it Pioneer Concrete who ended up paying a fine of around $1000000 for basing their prices on the price of the competition?

Anyway, check out any US catalogue and see just how badly we get ripped off in Australia on most tools and hardware items, and it ISN'T the tariff. It's just good ol' profiteering.

Rick

barrysumpter
29th May 2000, 11:16 AM
Uh hummmm!
I uh.... would like to appologise to anyone who has run down to hardwarehouse, expecting them to give you a decent discount. They won't.
I should have said to check the prices at hardwarehouse before actually purchasing at Bunnings. Never purchase anything at HardwareHouse. 9 times out of 10 Bunnings will be cheaper. Sometimes on the bigger items HardwareHouse will have a sale that I can take advantage of at Bunnings.

I went in to HardwareHouse on Sunday morning and had to continually ask for assistance since no one was there. When one finally showed up he acted like I was disturbing his sleep, didn't know anything, and didn't ask for help.

However, in Bunnings, 10 mins later, there were 3 clerks waiting for me. Eager to help and would talk to each other if they didn't know.

HardwareHouse 10% guarantee is for advertised items only. Which is how they catch people out. You have to bring in the advertisement and prove that its current and doesn't have any conditions. They'll spend 10 mins looking thru the advertisement and then ring their manager for the OK. It seem that HardwareHouse spends their time trying to negate or defeat your proof of better pricing. Which makes me feel at though they think I'm trying to cheat them.

With Bunnings, you just tell them where you found a better price on any item and they will ring to confirm the price. On any Item. NOT just advertised or sale items. They have circulars at the front of the store for sale items. Even if the sale has run out they will honor the sale price if I show them the circular and tell them I just picked it up at the front of the store. Never an argument.

Bunnings is better by heaps.

However, on small consumables like nails and screws, and yes embarassigly, planer blades($19.95), my local Taits Timber, is the cheapest. And their business is based on better service. Which I'm happy to say I receive every time I go in. Although it really bugs me that they don't sell Triton Equipment. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 29 May 2000).]

PenRex
29th May 2000, 04:27 PM
I'm in Wollongong, NSW, and at my local HardwareHouse, I applied for and received a Discount Card, based on my registered business.

I go in there rarely now as they don't have an 'across the board' system of the discount. . .it depends on what you buy.

Most of their product dosen't carry ANY discount, and the things I want/need/got the card for, like wooden table legs, stains/finishes, some woods, glues etc only carry a 5% saving.

At another Hardware Business, about 10 mins further drive, they offer much cheaper prices and 'an across the board' 10% discount card, which I have also applied for and received . . .

Like barrysmpter, I am a form believer that any money saved into my pockets is better than being handed over to someone else.

There aren't any Bunnings stores in the Wollongong area (as far as I know), I have visited one in Victoria (near Fern Gully I believe), which impressed me with the staff knowledge base and the options of product available.

The problem is, the 'plebs' who regularly shop at HWH don't do much checking up on price comparisons etc. Like a supermarket, it is quick and easy. . . . and on the surface, competitively priced.

Gladly, I shop around, the savings make it all worthwhile.

------------------
Dear Lord,
May my Woodworking someday aspire
to be as good as my Darts,
and vice-versa. . . .

Rex

George
29th May 2000, 06:32 PM
[my opinion only]
Bunnings vs BBC Hardwarehouse is a no- brainer. Bunnings is best by far. When I see the prices on powertools at Hardwarehouse I can't believe they ever sell any.

In my experience the 10% deal at Bunnings works well. I got a makita sliding compound mitre saw with work table for $970. It always pays to find any shop with a price better than Bunnings. You can only catch them out once though because they change the price on the shelf pretty quickly.

I've heard that even staff at Bunnings don't get any discount on a lot of the items. They argue the margins on things like power tools are too slim. A lot of the advertised specials are just to get you in the door and spending. These too have low margins and no discounts apply.

Gino
29th May 2000, 10:57 PM
While we're on the subject of Bunnings and the like, I would like to share with you a bargin going at the moment at Bunnings, Which is "nicholas" brand U.S.A. made self gripping pliers for $7.99. they also have them in various sizes.
Am I aloud to say it gave me a woody.

regards

Gino

gazaly
1st June 2000, 01:35 PM
Through these comparrisons, know one has mentioned Mitre 10. I live in Vic, and if you are shopping at HWH your will pay between 20 and 50% more than Bunnings og Mitre 10 (my opinion).
Yes bunnings will give you the 10% discount which is great, but I get trade price for nearly everything I buy at Mitre 10. How? I just asked. I asked Mitre 10 if they had a discount scheme, they said no but would give me trade discount, just tell the clerk I want trade price when making a purchase. This gives me cheaper than Bunnings prices nearly every time. Mitre 10 will also beat Bunnings price on anything the same way Bunnings do.
I'm not saying Mitre 10 is better but I have saved nearly $500 on $2300 worth of purchases in the last 6 months by shopping a Mitre 10.
HARDWAREHOUSE ARE A JOKE IN VICTORIA.

My two cents,

Gazza.

barrysumpter
1st June 2000, 02:46 PM
Thanks for that Gazza. I just returned from Miter10 on Waragal Rd. Who is a sponsor of the Triton Users Group Holmesglen. Who also attempt to give the members a 10% discount of Triton Equipment and tools. However, I've found Bunnings to still be a better buy and better service. There was no one in the tools area. I had to go to the service desk and they pointed to a lady stocking shelves for help. I had to insist on someone who knew the tools. However, once someone rocked up they didn'n know what I was asking for and sent someone else over. Who directed me to Kingston Tool Supply in Cheltenham. KTS had what I was looking for so I was happy with KTS and appreciate the tools expert in Miter10.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 01 June 2000).]

STEPHEN MILLER
14th June 2000, 09:47 PM
prices in S.A. Mitre 10 locally will usally match bunnings price on power tools and are a lot cheaper than Bunnings on things you use reguarly like sandpaper,hacksaw blades,glue ,on most what I would call consumables.Bunnings warehouses started big in S.A. but there is adrift back to your local hardware store for more person to person service .

------------------