PDA

View Full Version : Table Saws- Bosch v's Dewalt

PEN
15th February 2005, 08:43 PM
I am toying with the idea of buying a new table saw to supplement my other gear.

The major parameter is that it must be small and portable due to lack of space and preferably not a lot of attachments hanging off it- side tables etc.

The major difference between the bosch other than the $200 price difference is the rip fence adjustment. The ratchet action of the Dewalt is obviously superior to the Bosch system, but a little careful checking before a cut can negate the diifference. How do they both rate against the clones from China and Taiwan?

Any views on either option would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
PEN
:) :)

derekcohen
15th February 2005, 11:17 PM
PEN

While not having seen either of these machines, I still remain skeptical of anything small as having the capacity to cut much of any reasonable size. The quality of the fence would be but one limiting factor. Have you considered the Festo system (basically a saw guide). I think that this has greater potential for anyone looking for a portable format.

Regards from Perth

Derek

beejay1
16th February 2005, 02:18 AM
Hi pen.

The Bosch is taiwanese and the dewalt is assembled in US although components are probably far east . This will mean though that the dewalt QA is probably to a higher standard.
The dewalt has a rack and pinion fence adjust , the bosch is normal slide and lock. the bosch also has the american style guard ie, drop down which is better when making angled cuts as more of the blade is covered.
Ripping width is better on bosch at 635mm, dewalt is 610mm. Slots on the dewalt table allow the use of Incra equipment, bosch does not.
The dewalt motor, if its the DW744XP, is now much quiter than before and quieter than bosch, but its still brush although a new type.
Overall, dewalt wins mainly due to the fence design and probably the motor and also, the list price is cheaper than the bosch.
The above was taken from a test report in Good Woodworking in the UK Feb issue.
Hope it helps.
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

PEN
16th February 2005, 08:30 PM
Thankyou derek and beejay1 for your replies.
First, I have a festo saw and guide system and have contemplated the festo multifunction table. Great gear but is limited in versatility for those small projects like full width M&T joints.
Second, With say a 80TT blade either of these units would be great for those smaller jobs etc.

beejay!,the Bosch is $200 cheaper in Australia, no the other way around. Your info was very valuable so I need to consider the would like to have options between the table saw and the festo system a little more. problem is they are approximately the same price.
Utilisation will be the ultimate determinate.
Thank you both for your comments.
Regards
Paul
PEN :) :)