PDA

View Full Version : Bull Oak - Hairy Oak

Dinki Di
9th April 2012, 05:29 PM
Hello every one, just got my hands on a small trailer load of hairy oak they vary from 60mm to 150mm Dia x 1200mm lengths.
Is there an easy way to remove the bark hair ???the lazy way, there must be a better way to remove the bark other than on the lath
Cheers Guy

doug3030
9th April 2012, 06:12 PM
have you tried a draw-knife? I have never tried it on hairy oak but I have used it on other logs.

Doug

sjm
9th April 2012, 06:46 PM
Small axe / hatchet.

Willy Nelson
9th April 2012, 11:14 PM
Hello every one, just got my hands on a small trailer load of hairy oak they vary from 60mm to 150mm Dia x 1200mm lengths.
Is there an easy way to remove the bark hair ???the lazy way, there must be a better way to remove the bark other than on the lath
Cheers Guy

No you didn't!!!!! No photos, didn't happen

hughie
10th April 2012, 08:55 AM
[No you didn't!!!!! No photos, didn't happen

sad but true. :U

brendan stemp
10th April 2012, 07:05 PM
To remove bark I bang the wood with the blunt nose of a claw hammer several times, all over. This tends to loosen the bark from the wood making it easy to peel off. Haven't tried this on hairy oak but have tried it on buloke (which, by the way is not the same as hairy oak).

termites
11th April 2012, 08:41 AM
what ive found with hairy oak the bark is dam near impossiable to get of completely and you just have to sit down with cold one and tear it of

artme
11th April 2012, 10:14 AM
Lucky bugger!! Good for you!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Got a high pressure water blaster?

Dinki Di
11th April 2012, 09:15 PM
Thank you gentlemen in helping me with is small problem

Cheers Guy

TTIT
11th April 2012, 11:34 PM
what ive found with hairy oak the bark is dam near impossiable to get of completely and you just have to sit down with cold one and tear it ofI'd agree with that but I was hoping somebody had a better way :C

dai sensei
12th April 2012, 10:11 PM
Just watch out for those big black ants that seem to always live amongst the hairy fibres on the logs I have bought, the little blighters bite :oo:

doug3030
12th April 2012, 11:00 PM
If all else fails use a sand blaster. I havent used one on hairy oak but it is great for removing bark from burls or the sides of slabs if you dont want the bark on. If you experiment you can find the right distance from the piece to hold the nozzle so that the particles have enough punch to remove the bark but not significantly damage the harder sapwood underneath.