PDA

View Full Version : Firewood circular saw blade TC tipped

jhovel
9th April 2012, 08:36 PM
Hi, sorry to crosspost, but I don't know the right terminilogy yet - so I'm looking for help with that here:
I'm looking for a 500-600mm (20 to 24") saw blade for my firewood saw.
I've been cursing and resharpening my old 20" untipped/carbon steel saw blade for a couple of decadfdes now.... It nearly has no gullets left and I'm getting old too.
So its time to find something a bit more maintenance friendly.
I've used my neighbour's tungsten tipped saw a couple of weekd ago and was very happy with the performance.
It is a blade with only maybe 10 teeth, spaced around 3 or 4" or more apart, with large gullets.
I have looked for them, but don' even know what they are called - and maybe as a result can' find any.

Can someone fill me in on the name, the reason for the wide tooth spacing, advantages and disadvantages and the relative power requirements of these blades, please?

Oh, and if someone has one of these to sell, please let me know that too. :)

Cheers,
Joe

bark-hut
9th April 2012, 08:56 PM
These folk are worth talking to.
Fire Wood Saw Benches - Beaver Equipment No 1 in Firewood Equipment (http://www.beaverequipmentengineering.com/fire-wood-saw-benches.html)

Brosh
9th April 2012, 08:56 PM
I have what you are searching for - 30" TC tipped - no further use

Email bryan.ludwick @ bordernet .com.au - We'll talk

Acco
9th April 2012, 08:58 PM
I would suggest that you give Circular Saw Blades | Central Saws (http://www.centralsaws.com.au/) a visit or a call, they're very knowledgable and are located in Bendigo.

Krunchie
9th April 2012, 09:54 PM
I would suggest that you give Circular Saw Blades | Central Saws (http://www.centralsaws.com.au/) a visit or a call, they're very knowledgable and are located in Bendigo.

and just around the corner is bendigo saws I saw the blades sitting next to the door on thursday

jhovel
9th April 2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the info provided!

Barkhut: these are the blades I was thinking about. I got a little shock when I saw the price for a 12 tooth blade though (MUCH more expensive than a 'normal' Carbitool 60 tooth cross-cut blade the same size. I wonder why?)

Brosh: e-mail sent. Sadly too big for my saw bench...

Acco and Krunchie: thanks for the hints. I actually know of both businesses but hadn't thought of them tonight....

Cheers,
Joe

Robson Valley
10th April 2012, 02:58 AM
I think you've got them sourced.

In North American wood construction, the modern style is what is loosely referred to as "stick framing." With an air nailer, it's quick.
Although no longer quite as popular, "post and beam" framing is still used, mostly for farm buildings. .. where wide spans are needed, or as exposed interior restaraunt ceilings, etc. 8" x 8" and 12" x 12" are common timber sizes. The blades such as you have described are used daily by people in the P&B construction industry.
While you might think that the timbers could be sized with a chainsaw, it won't work for complex angled joints.