PDA

View Full Version : Woodcut replaceable tip gouges???

Mikko
16th February 2005, 12:31 AM
Hi guys,

Me again with another question about products rarely seen up here.

The Woodcut gouges with replaceable tips? Do they really work?
The fact that the tip is screwed on seems pretty fiddly to me as there is a lot of vibration involved when roughing out a roughsawn blank (at least when I'm doing it).
I'm about to buy a new set of bowl gouges and pretty much decided to go for a bundle of 2060 Hamlet's. Still, these Kiwi thingies look interesting but I have my doubts.
Would you buy them? Any reports?

Any other southern wonders I'm not aware of and should consider?

Thanks (again;) ),
Mikko

Sandy Johnston
16th February 2005, 08:17 AM
I use 4 of the Woodcut bowl gouges. 2 x 13mm and 2 x 8mm.
One pair each with a different angle of grind. 55 & 35. I use their Tru-grind system also.
There has never been a problem. I can use the 13mm with 35 grind to rough out quite well although the honing is a bit frequent.
I use the 55 to get across the inside bottom of bowls
I bought one spare tip for the 13mm as this was my first gouge, and I thought I may have to replace it but after 2 years - still going strong.
My tips are not treaded - they have a sholder recessed into the dumb end that goes into the shaft on the handle. They are heated to remove and supposed to be held in with locktite.
The outlet I got mine from sugested they could do it for me as part as their service. (www.creations-by-hamish.co.nz)

Regards
Sandy across the ditch

arose62
16th February 2005, 10:55 AM
I picked up a replaceable tip bowl gouge for $5 at a garage sale, but I don't think I'd pay "real" money for one.

The big annoyance for me is that the flute is only about 2 cm long, and takes about 2 seconds to pack solid with shavings.

I have to go "cut, stop, dig out shavings, cut, stop, dig out shavings" etc. etc. etc.

Cheers,
Andrew

rsser
16th February 2005, 02:30 PM
Think I've seen one of the biggies - Taylor? - on the market with replaceable tips, and if the ole grey matter is still working, one was an interesting design. The loop hollowing tool, with two different bevels.

Now I haven't used one but it could be useful.. ah yes, found it:

http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/hss3.html#super

That said, the best single bowl gouge in my view is their 3/8" Superflute. Great steel; does coarse and fine cuts. You barely need anything else.

(Edit: but PS, a review I read of the replacement tip jobs gave them the thumbs up.)

Mikko
16th February 2005, 06:18 PM
OK! Thanks guys. I'll stick to my original plan with Hamlet's.
Will get that Tru-grind system though.

Cheers,
Mikko