PDA

View Full Version : Bosch PEX 400 sander

vk4
10th April 2012, 08:35 PM
Hi All,

My sander died!!:C:C:C
After 2 boats , the lounge/dining room & hall floors and various other job , my Bosch sander died yesterday, and it's terminal.

The shaft has sheared at the main fan, and repairs would cost more than a new tool,then I checked out a replacement cost $141:(:(for the same machine, at the BIG GREEN SHED.

Looks like I may buy an El-Cheapo, OZITO , cost $49.99 with 3 year warranty..

Have to get it past the treasurer.

Jeff

ClintO
13th April 2012, 09:07 PM
Not sure whether you are boasting or moaning :)

vk4
18th April 2012, 09:22 AM
Moaning would not suit me (bitching would be a better description) , I am up set at the weakness, and poor design of the tool .

I buy what I thought was a reasonable quality power tool from a reputable manufacturer, and after only moderate work, the shaft snaps and the machine is not worth repairing

Jeff

Bushmiller
18th April 2012, 08:33 PM
Jeff

Bosch make some good tools, actually some very good tools, but they also make two ranges. The green range and the blue range. One is handyman quality while the other is trade quality. I don't think I need to say which one you have. I think the amount of work you describe is out of the capabilities of the handyman range and I would look towards the better quality products. whether it is Bosch or another brand.

I also have had a Bosch sander (green) expire on me. I only buy blue in the Bosch range now.

If you can get along to the Brissy Wood Show you will probably able to try out a couple of models. Last year I was looking at orbital sanders and went down that track.

Regards
Paul

ClintO
18th April 2012, 09:35 PM
Not sure whether you are boasting or moaning :)

I thought that was a fairly large amount of work, hence my comment:U

Twisted Tenon
18th April 2012, 10:18 PM
I thought that was a fairly large amount of work, hence my comment:U

Sanders tend to cop a fair old flogging compared to other tools:rolleyes:

TT

Bushmiller
18th April 2012, 10:46 PM
Sanders tend to cop a fair old flogging compared to other tools:rolleyes:

TT

Agreed. Even this afternoon I looked up to hear a few words of disgust (big euphemism)come from my son's mouth. He had been using his orbital sander to smooth some plaster he had spread over a mould for a fibreglass piece.

You've guessed it; The obital sander had completed it's last orbit:D. I think the conditions were just too dusty. He admitted he was probably using it for the wrong application, but even when you are using it to sand wood the environment is still not good. I had tried to persuade him to attach his vacuum to the sander, but he had resisted that:(.

Regards
Paul

vk4
20th April 2012, 10:46 PM
HI All,

Yer it probably has done a fair bit of work, but when I pulled it down , the Brushes were hardly worn, and all the bearings were good.

I have an old SKIL 1/3 sheet sander that seems to go for ever , and it's only a cheapy,/.

I will look at a new sander in a couple of weeks , when the budget improves a bit, i have a few more jobs to do that require an orbital sander, and the disc sanders have more grunt than the sheet.

Jeff

vk4
21st June 2012, 10:44 PM
well I bit the bullet, today I went to the big green shed, and brought the OZITO 125mm Orbital disc sander ,

Cost of $49.95, and with a 3 year warranty, also came with a vacume attachment , which you don't get with Bosch.

Do not get me wrong the Bosch sander did good work, but the weak point on the shaft was it's down fall.

So I'll see how good the OZITO is , I am about to start on a desk for a friend for his Amateur Radio equipment, he currently has a trestle table with folding legs, but it is bowing drastically, and must be replaced.

Jeff
vk4