PDA

View Full Version : What to do a SAturn 2012

Skewturn
11th April 2012, 11:07 PM
Hi all
Im off to my second SAturn as a beginner turner and Im looking for ideas for what to turn at over the weekend last year I did a couple of bowls and lidded box with an inlay. Had lots of help from other turners which was good. So if you have any ideas that could be a good challange I would love to hear them. Thanks:doh:
Ps. I use midi woodfast lathe

coffenup
15th April 2012, 08:40 PM
take me with you and we can learn together
regards Michael

Skewturn
15th April 2012, 11:43 PM
Sorry for those who dont know what SAturn is its a weekend of woodturning in South Australia just outside adelaide its lots of fun and you learn heaps from other turners.:cool:

KBs PensNmore
18th April 2012, 01:10 AM
Hi all
Im off to my second SAturn as a beginner turner and Im looking for ideas for what to turn at over the weekend last year I did a couple of bowls and lidded box with an inlay. Had lots of help from other turners which was good. So if you have any ideas that could be a good challange I would love to hear them. Thanks:doh:
Ps. I use midi woodfast lathe

Hi Skewturn,
I would take a heap of wood and just practice, picking up what ever tips and ideas you are given. Another tip is to join a local woodturning club, I think there is one based at Golden Grove, there you are able to pick up regular guidance. By all means, do bowls and spindle turnings to practice on, technique is everything.
Kryn

dai sensei
18th April 2012, 08:52 AM
I've never been to SAturn, but assume it is similar to other turning get togethers like Qturn etc, so turn/practice what ever you like. I know at Qturn I even just often walk around just watching others, to see different techniques (good and bad :U). As Kryn says, take plenty of your favourite timbers. I must admit I take everything, including the kitchen sink, to enable me to make up my mind on the day :-

Skewturn
18th April 2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I must admit I take the kitchen sink too:U
The best part is learning from others with more experience. Also looked at the club
its the northern turners very interested. Happy turning:)

coffenup
21st April 2012, 08:24 PM
hope to meet you there skewturn
regards Michael

Skewturn
21st April 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi Micheal I will be the tall guy fumbling through.
See you there.:2tsup:

coffenup
22nd April 2012, 07:45 PM
I cant do anything about going there till after tuesday night after I see the surgeon
I could be off my feet for up to 6 months depends on what needs to be cut up & fixed

regards Michael

coffenup
29th June 2012, 02:30 AM
finally signed up for this now to have fun & see how others turn things so I can learn
Skewturn what do I need to take pm me
Regards Michael