PDA

View Full Version : Interesting technique????

powderpost
12th April 2012, 09:12 PM
Have a look at this one for some interesting turning techniques.. :oo:
Turning, i build it style - YouTube

Jim

tea lady
12th April 2012, 09:22 PM
techniques? Didn't see any! :doh: :rolleyes:

wood hacker
12th April 2012, 10:03 PM
Hmmmmmm. Each unto their own I guess. Personally I'd get pretty pee'd off having to change back and forth on the chisels to be able to form the shapes. I'm not the most able spindle turner (but getting better) in the world but after roughing it down I think I could have done most of it with a single chisel (not the skew though as it still scares the bejesus out of me). But as I said if it works for him so be it.

dai sensei
12th April 2012, 10:06 PM
Nah, half scraper action, half skew action, all to go with half a brain :rolleyes:

dabbler
12th April 2012, 10:22 PM
Where do I get my money back? If I can't get that 11m36s back then I'll settle for my admission fee. That was possibly the most tiresome video I've seen in a long time.

As for his thoughts about turning tools, I'd like to see him handle a piece of recycled ironbark fence post.

Scott
12th April 2012, 10:24 PM
For those about to hit the play button, the action doesn't start till about three and a half minutes, he blew a whole lot of air before then and a whole lot after.

RETIRED
12th April 2012, 10:26 PM
Oh dear.:no:

Skewturn
12th April 2012, 10:54 PM
I thought chisels where dangerous to use on a lathe :stretcher: Ps love these little icons

wheelinround
13th April 2012, 09:00 AM
He's lucky he had a lathe to start with I only had a drill press and not even HSS chisels like he has.

I've seen it mentioned on this forum of using screw drivers fashioned to use, nails and know of turners who use dental picks, hatchets, chainsaws, pen knives oh and the old favourite an old file. One bloke when I started on the forum was using an electric plane for roughing down his form of spindle gouge. The files last I have seen in many an old turners collection fashioned to their relitive need.

The two he fashioned with opposite angles he would have been better grinding into correct skew shape with bevel either side.

Mulgabill
13th April 2012, 10:18 AM
Interesting techniques:o After 6 minutes I had seen enough. Mostly scraping and I don't like his idea idea of shear cutting.

TTIT
13th April 2012, 12:10 PM
I gave up when he said "..it's a bit rougher but I think it's faster" ...... than what????:doh:

...and I don't want to even try to figure how he see's that roughing down as 'sheer cutting' :?

L R P
15th April 2012, 11:41 AM
He should not have bought the bloody video camera:doh:<label for="rb_iconid_13">http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif</label>