PDA

View Full Version : Oak platter

Ad de Crom
12th April 2012, 10:30 PM
I finished yesterday an oak platter, which is made out of leftover pieces of an old table top, had available for that a circular oak ring and a circular piece of oak.
The difficult trick was to provide a good fit of this circular ring and the other circular disc.
In my opinion not so a bad solution for using scraps of wood.
Better than throwing it into the fireplace
The platter is 325 mm in diameter, and is finished with two layers of water based acrylic laquer.
Cheers, Ad

dr4g0nfly
13th April 2012, 05:46 AM
Woodturners, the ultimate recyclers. Defiantly too good to of been burnt.

Good result, is SWMBO pleased with her new platter?

Dalboy
13th April 2012, 07:43 AM
Like you I save wood whenever I can, especially Oak as it has that lovely nutty brown colour.

By the way nice platter:2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
13th April 2012, 07:47 AM
Woodturners, the ultimate recyclers. Defiantly too good to of been burnt.

Good result, is SWMBO pleased with her new platter?
SWMBO has already enough (from me :D) and these platters, destination - give away
Cheers, Ad

wheelinround
13th April 2012, 08:31 AM
Ad well done like the look of the two grain directions.

powderpost
13th April 2012, 09:16 AM
Nice job Ad, always good to save wood. When I join two pieces like that, I make the joint at a small angle, about 4 degrees. Much easier than joining at 90 degrees. I think with that platter, I would make the grain parallel so that wood movement in both pieces would not fight.
Jim

artme
13th April 2012, 09:55 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

turnerted
13th April 2012, 05:44 PM
Nice save Ad
Jim, please explain why it is easier to join at 4 degrees than a rightangle.
Ted

Ad de Crom
13th April 2012, 06:15 PM
Nice job Ad, always good to save wood. When I join two pieces like that, I make the joint at a small angle, about 4 degrees. Much easier than joining at 90 degrees. I think with that platter, I would make the grain parallel so that wood movement in both pieces would not fight.
Jim
Thanks Jim, making the grain parallel, make sence.
This is the way how I made the joint, a picture tells more than words.

powderpost
13th April 2012, 08:58 PM
Jim, please explain why it is easier to join at 4 degrees than a rightangle.
Ted
Ted, imagine the platter sitting on a table. If the joint is at 90 degrees, the joint would be vertical, or at 90 degrees to the table. In this case, the two pieces would have to be absolutely exact to make a good joint. Now, by making the joint about 4 degrees off, or at 86 degrees to the table, there is a little tolerance in the diameter of the two halves.
Hope that explains what I was talking about.
Jim

turnerted
14th April 2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks Jim
Ted

hughie
14th April 2012, 11:26 PM
:) I reckon Ad you got the close tolerance fit perfect. :2tsup: But then I shouldn't be surprized, remembering the tolerances you made on the headstock bearings on your lathe.

... and nice platters to boot. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
14th April 2012, 11:31 PM
:2tsup:

Skewturn
18th April 2012, 11:00 PM
Platter looks nice:bgth: