PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Railway Sleepers - Brisbane

stephenc
13th April 2012, 03:29 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum so hopefully this is in the right place....

I'm looking to get some railway sleepers split to take them from 110mm thick to 2x 55m...

Just wondering if there is anyone in Brisbane/Surrounds who would be able to perform this? Or anyone else's experience with doing this?

Thanks
Stephen

BobL
13th April 2012, 03:37 PM
Used or new?

If used, what sort of condition are they in?

stephenc
13th April 2012, 03:41 PM
Used or new?

If used, what sort of condition are they in?
I'm hoping to purchase them this weekend - they will be used, and most likely 'A' grade condition

jemijona
13th April 2012, 03:48 PM
Being used they will be full of dust, dirt and other nasties. This will give any blade a hard time in that it will go blunt faster than normal.

So you might have trouble finding someone that is willing to do it, or charge a rather high price. It might work out cheaper to get new ones the size that you want first up.

Good luck.

Cheers

BobL
13th April 2012, 03:56 PM
Being used they will be full of dust, dirt and other nasties. This will give any blade a hard time in that it will go blunt faster than normal.

I agree, used sleepers are trouble. The real killers are the small blue stone chips which seen to find their way inside by magic.

I would suggest a pressure clean and checking with a metal detector, but I would not mill one if it had anything bigger than hairline cracks.

charlsie
14th April 2012, 08:09 PM
not than i can help,being so far away but i don't mind cutting and dressing old sleepers but i do charge alot to do it for the above reasons. and you wont get 2x 55mm pieces from a sleeper that is 110mm thick

jmaxwell
14th April 2012, 10:15 PM
Done some last week , cut them to 160x110 then put a rebate 80x15 for door jambs . let me know if i can help I am in the sunshine coast area

weisyboy
15th April 2012, 09:10 AM
i am happy to cut them and any rtecycled timber. :2tsup: its not that expensive t retip a blade:U

stephenc
17th April 2012, 12:00 PM
i am happy to cut them and any rtecycled timber. :2tsup: its not that expensive t retip a blade:U
Thanks weisyboy, i've flicked you an email regarding this.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice!

scottmac
18th April 2012, 03:37 AM
i bought my A grades for $30 each. I did rip two down to 125x125 from 125x250 myself for a couple of windows. seeing you want to rip through 250mm, a rip on each side of the sleeper with a standard circular won't do. As far as their inteneded use< i used for doors and windows in my mud brick house. In the toilet photo, you can see a standard door jam fitted to give you something nice and straight/square/plumb to hang doors from. i'm sure the end result will reward your patience of ripping/cleaning them. good luck

bigdb1
18th April 2012, 08:28 PM
i bought my A grades for $30 each. I did rip two down to 125x125 from 125x250 myself for a couple of windows. seeing you want to rip through 250mm, a rip on each side of the sleeper with a standard circular won't do. As far as their inteneded use< i used for doors and windows in my mud brick house. In the toilet photo, you can see a standard door jam fitted to give you something nice and straight/square/plumb to hang doors from. i'm sure the end result will reward your patience of ripping/cleaning them. good luck

nice work Scott:2tsup:

Sigidi
8th May 2012, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping to purchase them this weekend - they will be used, and most likely 'A' grade condition

bit long ago, but I have durability 1 hardwood sleepers 200x50 and 2.4m for sale :D

Bushmiller
13th May 2012, 10:22 AM
bit long ago, but I have durability 1 hardwood sleepers 200x50 and 2.4m for sale :D

Allan

I may be interested in these. I will send you a PM:).

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
13th May 2012, 10:45 AM
Cool mate, too easy