PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out Whittlesea way. I have a small job

Madbones
13th April 2012, 09:32 PM
G,day....First post...New member and i have found another forum that im already enjoying reading through. My background is sheetmetal but im here on a search. What i have is a hub of a sportsbike axle that i need to have 4mm turned off and just asking if anyone out this way might be able to help me out rather than go to a larger engineers.

Cheers Jason Melbourne.

danielhobby
13th April 2012, 10:07 PM
welcome to forum,im not far from you,factory in epping,home around broadford.got a description of what you need doing?

Madbones
14th April 2012, 08:49 AM
Gday Danielson,
Here are two pictures of the hub . Its aluminium.
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/Madbones/IMG_3865.jpg
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/Madbones/IMG_3864.jpg

In the second pic, if you can imagine this hub slides onto an axle and a castellated nut screws to the axle seating down in thee recessed area pictured. I need to be able to tighten that nut down another 4mm so i can fit a safety clip.

Cheers jason

Dave J
14th April 2012, 01:45 PM
Should be an easy job to do.
Daniel, I am not sure if you already know, but just make sure you use some thin cardboard so you don't mark the anodizing with the chuck jaws.Some tissue box would be ideal and just do it up firm and take light to medium cuts
To finish it off just knock off the inside edge at 45 deg like the factory has done.

Jason, I would mask it up when you get it back and touch up the machined part with some black spray paint to stop it corroding in the future. It will look nice when it's machined, but wont last long outside.

Is this for an off road buggy?

Dave

Madbones
14th April 2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Dave,
The part is for a Ducati motorbike. It is the hub for the rear sprocket carrier assembly. The outer holes are where the cushdrives mount.

jason

Dave J
14th April 2012, 03:32 PM
If it's for a Ducati don't forget to charge double the price Daniel, LOL
I thought it may have been off one of those sand buggies you can buy plans for.

The guy in the paddock behind me has Ducati race bikes as I always hear him reving them, and he has a trailer with Ducati all over it.

Dave

Madbones
15th April 2012, 05:47 PM
OOOPs...Looks like i said the D word.
Well bought it at an auction. Written off. Saw it for what it was worth. Good engine and a few good parts and cheap. Have rebuilt the frame and slowly put it together for the track. Another project. Usually cars, tractors.

Madbones
17th April 2012, 11:12 PM
Found someone to do the job. Thanks all the same.