PDA

View Full Version : Help!

shortwoodturner
16th February 2005, 03:40 PM
Hey,
Im a 14 year old. I just got a JET lathe for my birthday! Im just wondering if its anygood. Also my brothers been begging me to make drumsticks for him. is that possible?

Thanx,
Michael

nik
16th February 2005, 03:45 PM
geez michael, i wish i got pressies like that when I was 14. strewth, i can't even remember what i got for my 14th, probrobly money or something insignificant. Unfortunatly I've never turned anything before (apart for turning good stuff into *****.) but i can wish u a happy birthday. So here it goes, Happy Birthday, and good luck with the lathe.

nik.

JB
20th February 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Michael. Australian Wood Review magazine has an article on turning drumsticks in issue #33 . This 3 page article by a well known woodturner called Richard Raffan explains the making, sanding and finishing process. You can order back issues of AWR (issue #33 is December 2001) at www.woodreview.com/ They cost about $8 each.
Good luck with the woodturning. So long as your lathe holds the wood securely and turns it around it should be fine. I've ben using a very basic lathe (more basic than yours) for years and have turned hundreds of different things on it, some of then quite complex.