PDA

View Full Version : Hornibrook Bridge, Ironbark Bowl

kcam
14th April 2012, 12:06 PM
Had a request for another bowl made from the salvaged Ironbark from the old Hornibrook Bridge, again for a charity auction. Took the punt and agreed to turn something out. The result is somewhat similar to my first bowl but without embellishment as I thought that the shape told enough of a story, it is just under 300mm in dia......comments are welcome.....cheers Kerry

dabbler
14th April 2012, 12:18 PM
Lovely piece. I love the idea of actually knowing it's part in history too.

If you find how it goes in the auction, please share with us.

Acco
14th April 2012, 01:32 PM
:2tsup:

orraloon
14th April 2012, 03:00 PM
Hi Kerry,
Hard stuff, aint it. I do like the way it polishes up.
Regards
John

kcam
14th April 2012, 03:38 PM
This bit was not as hard as the first one I did John and it was the other side of the same log, I only had to touch up my gouge twice and yes it does polish up well.

Skewturn
14th April 2012, 11:48 PM
Really nice bowl and the finish looks excellent. Bowls with stories make good centre pieces:2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
15th April 2012, 05:36 AM
Here in the UK I would not know Iron bark if it landed on my foot (always willing to learn though!)

But I can tell you that I've always admired bowls & platters that look as if they are floating above the table-top, They have a delicacy about them.

Nicely done :2tsup:

sjm
15th April 2012, 07:11 AM
The feet are interesting, nice job.

artme
15th April 2012, 12:02 PM
Another spiphphy piece there Kcam!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Love everything aboutit- shape, colour, grain, finish...:)

kcam
15th April 2012, 12:35 PM
The feet are interesting, nice job.

Does that mean you like them or would prefer the bowl without the feet SJM ?
Thanks all for your comments......looks like I will be doing another as my wife would like one out of the same timber in our collection......cheers Kerry

E.Cama
10th July 2012, 11:34 AM
The bowls are amazing, love your work. I was wondering if you know where I can get some timber from the bridge? I love the history of it and live in Sandgate and would love to have some furniture in my house made out of this historical bridge.

Thanks

kcam
10th July 2012, 07:40 PM
The bowls are amazing, love your work. I was wondering if you know where I can get some timber from the bridge? I love the history of it and live in Sandgate and would love to have some furniture in my house made out of this historical bridge.

Thanks
I believe the Morton Bay Council has some of the timber available.Suggest that you contact Councilor James Houghton who should be able to assist.
Pens turned from the Ironbark salvaged from the bridge are available from the Redcliffe & Dist. Woodcraft Society for $25 with a certificate of authenticity if you would like a piece of memorabilia. Cheers Kerry

mkypenturner
10th July 2012, 08:15 PM
Here in the UK I would not know Iron bark if it landed on my foot (always willing to learn though!)

But I can tell you that I've always admired bowls & platters that look as if they are floating above the table-top, They have a delicacy about them.

Nicely done :2tsup:
hey dragonfly
trust me you would not want to know what it feels like if it did drop on your toes :D
bloody hard and bloody heavy even dry

crowie
10th July 2012, 08:42 PM
G'Day Kerry,
Beautiful bowl.
We were up in Brisbane visiting my mum in April.
Went for a drive to redcliffe & saw the whole bridge is now gone.
I remember having fights in the car as to who was going to get the ticket off the bridge toll man, that's after we'd all been bumper up & down across that long old bridge.
Thanks for the memory.
Hope the bowl bowl sold well.
Cheers, crowie

mick59wests
10th July 2012, 09:45 PM
one beautiful bowl :2tsup:. How did u do the feet?
thanks
Mick

kcam
11th July 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi crowie, a copy of the 1/- toll ticket is on the back of the certificate of authenticity that goes with the pens that the Redcliffe Woodcraft Club is selling. KC:)

crowie
11th July 2012, 09:44 AM
Wow, KC....Is it still pink??? At least I think it was pink.
Could you either post the contact details or "PM" me the contact details of the Redcliffe Woodcraft Club, please.
Cheers, crowie

kcam
13th July 2012, 03:23 PM
The bowl with a certificate of authenticity went to the charity auction on Wednesday night and fetched $700 for the Charity. It was the record received on the night and the Charity was extremely happy.....a good result all round.
Cheers Kerry:)

dabbler
13th July 2012, 04:04 PM
Well done Kerry.

Even though Charity auctions can garner inflated prices at times, the item still needs to be special and well presented. And your piece certainly was all that and more.

I'd be extremely chuffed with that result if it came from my efforts.