PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec RT-66 Router Table

Austin_Turner
14th April 2012, 03:16 PM
I got one of these RT-66 Router tables from Carbatec Auckland to use with an MOF Triton router. I considered building one or getting the big Kreg table. I got this one because I really like the fact it adjusts the fence with a control wheel rather than loosening a handle and bumping it around, this allows fine and accurate adjustments for sneaking up on measurements when making joints etc.

It is heavy, at 65kgs it does not move when pushing long stock through it, I did some 1600mm long tongue and groove edges on 150x50 totara boards using a staight cut bit and pushed down and into the fence hard to make sure the grooves were straight and clean and the table never moved a millimetre.

My only gripe with this table that I will spend money to fix as soon as I find the parts is to install a front start/stop switch. I think as a safety device either unplugging the lead or reaching underneath the table to switch the router off is not good enough on a table of this price. I expect every machine to have an accessible stop button.
If I was designing the table myself, I think it should be another 500mm longer at least to support long stock better. There is a member of this forum who is a cabinet maker in Gympie, he has made an excellent cabinet around one of these tables and uploaded the pictures on this forum, I downloaded the pictures on my other computer and someday I intend on copying the idea. I'll also replace the uncoated mdf fence plates with some coated ones when I have some scrap pieces.

Positives
Weight - very sturdy, won't move while routing heavy stock
Adjustment wheel - allows very fine fence adjustments

Negatives
No front start/stop button
Short table

Overall I would certainly recommend this router table, you can build one yourself but having a heavy cast iron table and adjustment wheel is great. I just think it needs a start/stop box added on the front to make it safer.

NCArcher
14th April 2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks AT. I've often wondered how those router tables would perform. Does yours have the tennoning attachment? It looks interesting.

Austin_Turner
15th April 2012, 08:48 AM
Hi mate, yep it has the tenoning attachment, but I haven't used it as I'm tenoning long boards at the moment and so I have no choice but to do them hand held or on the table saw.