PDA

View Full Version : I need some help - wood turning lathe

Firiepete
15th April 2012, 01:07 AM
Hi all im a newbie, I have recently purchased a Carbatec Electronic Variablle Speed Wood Turning Lathe to learn how to turn wood etc. I purchased this unit MSL-3815/EMC from a second hand shop. They did not have a operating manual to go with it. Does anyone know were i can obtain one, Or how to turn it on. Apparently there is a secquence to turn it on, it has a microsencer. Thanks for your help.

Cheers Firiepete

jchappo
15th April 2012, 09:22 AM
The small rotary knob is the speed control, which also incorporates an On/Off switch.
The large flip out tab is the main On/Off switch.

To use:
Turn rotary switch fully anti-clockwise until it clicks off.
Make sure that the main tab is pushed in.
Plug into mains socket and switch mains on.
Switch lathe on by pulling tab out - the display should now illuminate.
Start lathe motor by turning speed knob clockwise, the further clockwise, the faster the motor turns within a range of approximately 450 rpm to 2100 rpm. The speed should be indicated on the display.
To stop the motor, turn the speed control to the off position.
Do not use the On/Off tab except as an emergency switch or when switching the lathe off at the end of the day.

_fly_
15th April 2012, 09:24 AM
Just pop into a Carby store and they should be able to give you a photocopy of the manual.
I asked for a destruction manual for one of their planers a friend gave me and they made a copy for me at no charge.

dai sensei
15th April 2012, 09:25 AM
Not sure where you are, but it is a good idea to contact your local woodturning/woodworking club, to learn how to woodturn. You can teach yourself with trial and error over many years, but it is a lot quicker and easier to learn the right way first.

Firiepete
16th April 2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks jchappo for your help tryed that and it hasent turned on.
1 I made sure the speed knob was turned anti clockwise untill it clicked off
2 I made sure the on off button was pushed in for off
3 I then plugged in to mains and turned switch on
4 I then pulled out the on off switch to on and the panel illuminated showing the digit ZERO
5 I then turned the speed knob, it clicked and nothing happened
Do you have any other suggestions much appreciated

I will also do what fly has suggested contact my local Carby store for a manual

And thanks dai sensei i will do that

Cheers Firiepete

jchappo
16th April 2012, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a problem with the control box.
Give Carbatec a ring and see what they suggest.

Firiepete
16th April 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks mate I will let you know how i go.

Cheers Firiepete

blarsen
19th April 2012, 09:23 AM
Probably a silly suggestion, but have you checked that the spindle lock isn't engaged?