PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

drsed
15th April 2012, 01:14 PM
I started using my drill doctor recently. I've had it brand new sitting in a box fopr three years. I once got it out, and read the instructions, and though "that's a but more complicated than I thought", so I put it away.

But the other day I managed to read the instructions again, and I sharpened a few drill bits, and it's turned out to be super easy. But now I have ten million drill bits to sharpen because in the past I'd just go and buy new ones all the time. :-

azzrock
15th April 2012, 03:10 PM
i wouldn't tell your mates or you may have more to sharpen

rusel
15th April 2012, 03:40 PM
I can not sharpen a bit for some reason so I have had one for years great little machine. Still going strong on the first side of the grinding wheel. Think it is a diamond wheel.
Would not be with out it now :)

Russell

Jekyll and Hyde
15th April 2012, 06:07 PM
I started using my drill doctor recently. I've had it brand new sitting in a box fopr three years. I once got it out, and read the instructions, and though "that's a but more complicated than I thought", so I put it away.

But the other day I managed to read the instructions again, and I sharpened a few drill bits, and it's turned out to be super easy. But now I have ten million drill bits to sharpen because in the past I'd just go and buy new ones all the time. :-

Well, at least you'll never have to buy another drill bit, even if you lose some, and you've got a way to keep the kids busy (if you have any). :p

matthew_g
15th April 2012, 06:27 PM
I have had a drill doctor for years, It came with 2 diamond wheels and I am also still on the first side of the first wheel, My machine will do up to 20mm drills.
I have sharpened litterally hundreds of drills with it so far. I have done quite a few for other people at $3.00 a drill..
Anything over 20mm I have a very large jig on my smaller tool and cutter grinder.
Matt

drsed
15th April 2012, 08:14 PM
I think the first time I used it I was confused by the instructions. They tell you to turn the drill bit in the holder until you can't turn it any further, and then slightly tighten the holder and remove it and then tighten it again and then move it the the sharpening slot. The springiness of the tongs that hold the drill bit made that feel a little inaccurate to me.

A simpler way of doing it (and therefore a simpler instruction) is to jiggle the drill bit to the left and right until the small clamps find it's narrowest point, then tighten the holder. Do you agree?

simonl
17th April 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

I have looked at these drill sharpeners and still can't decide. I bugs me that I can't sharpen a drill bit to a required accuracy. Buying a drill doctor is sign that I have given up on the skill of sharpening drills! :C

Silly reasoning really. Can't be good at everything I suppose. On another note, I notice there are several models available. The cheapest being the 150 (I think) next one up is the 350? Then theres a 750 etc etc. Obviously the price goes up accordingly. Which one do you have?

I think the 350 has an extra attachment that allows you to sharpen to 16mm drill bits. Does anyone have that and find it useful?

Cheers,

Simon

petersemple
17th April 2012, 05:36 PM
I have a multisharp drill bit sharpener. I think I paid about $40 or so. It has well and truly paid for itself. When I found a part broken after a house move I found the customer service to replace that part to be excellent as well.

rfurzer
18th April 2012, 10:47 AM
I use a DD for medium sized bits. It is not so good below 3 mm and can't fit over ?10mm. I still hand grind the big ones (and am now not too bad). I also hand grind badly stuffed drills before drill doctoring them for a final finish.
I was also put off by the instructions but now am used to the system. It is worthwhile.

drsed
18th April 2012, 09:14 PM
I use a DD for medium sized bits. It is not so good below 3 mm and can't fit over ?10mm. I still hand grind the big ones (and am now not too bad). I also hand grind badly stuffed drills before drill doctoring them for a final finish.
I was also put off by the instructions but now am used to the system. It is worthwhile.

13mm.