PDA

View Full Version : CA finish problems

stevemillar
16th April 2012, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been having problems with my ca finishing on my pens for a while now, I get through the whole process no problems and the micro-meshing but when it comes to taking the pens off the mandrel and separating the tubes from the bushings I almost always manage to crack the ca off the end or have it lift up on me which makes the pen look terrible. In short, is there perhaps something I could apply to my pens prior to ca finishing to make the glue actually want to stick to the timber?
Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

PenTurner
16th April 2012, 12:06 PM
Steve, 3 things
1. Use Delrin bushings in applying and finishing CA
2. When finished with CA, use a Skew point or thin Parting tool to put a cut into the CA as close to the blank as possible.That way when you remove the Bushings the CA will not stress or break.
3. Use a gentle End Mill to clean off and square the blank, there is a good thread on that at the moment, or ask Fred---BigShed-- he can make for you.
Amos:)http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/squaring-off-blank-150926/

dai sensei
16th April 2012, 12:35 PM
Amos gives good advice. Make sure when cut the CA with a skew, make sure it is extremely sharp, if it is blunt it can drag rather than cut. I actually made a small sharp pointy tool using steel cutting steel.

plantagenon
16th April 2012, 06:15 PM
Steve

I use Delrin bushes as mentioned by Amos to apply the CA to the blanks. They rarely stick and if they do a gentle tap of the delrin on a piece of wood will free the bushes. Alternatively cut around them as suggested. I also found a set of craft scalpels for sale at Adli for around $10 is perfect for cutting the CA. You can make your own from a kitchen cutting board which is delrin or you can buy them on line already shaped for all the tube sizes. Woodturningz in the USA have them. There might be suppliers in Australia that someone else can mention. They are cheap - around $10 for a set and pretty well last indefinitely. If the CA builds up on the delrin a gentle squeeze with pliers on the bush will make the CA crack and fall off. I won't use anything other than Delrin having lost a couple of blanks when using the metal bushes to apply the CA to the blanks.

Greg

Jack.Tar
17th April 2012, 12:23 AM
I am also having this problem now that I have finaly got the ca finish sorted (kind of) I have ordered two 60 degree live centres just for putting ca on, I figure if I can't touch them with the ca the pen won't stick to them and then I can put the bushes back on for the micromesh.

JTTHECLOCKMAN
17th April 2012, 04:54 AM
Another little trick is don't let the ca build up. In other words if you are doing 8 coats, remove from the bushings after 4 coats and sand the edges if need be because you will have build up. Easier to take bushings off before you use all 8 coats to finish. Clean bushings if need be. Place back on and finish other 4 coats. Take off again and sand the edges and place a small drop of thin CA if using wood as the blank to seal the ends again. Place back and finish with MM. Maybe abit more work but beats the alternative. I have the delron bushings and all the other gadgets mentioned but I find I still need to clean the ends so have to take them off the bushings anyway so what did you save. Nothing in my opinion. Just more gadgets for people to buy. This hobby is expenseive as it is. Good luck.