PDA

View Full Version : liquidamber find

smiife
16th April 2012, 08:42 PM
hi guys,
picked up some liquidamber the other day and was wondering
if any one has the do's and don't's with this stuff.
it looks really nice colour on the cut side,the logs have been
sliced only about 300mm high but are about 600mm wide
any info ,ideas,advice would be very much appreciated,
would i be able to turn the slice as is or would it just
fall apart from the centre :o
in the end i don't suppose it matters much after all it's
only firewood if it doesn't work out:U
cheers smiife:2tsup:

John T
16th April 2012, 09:03 PM
HI SMIIFE
I have turned some of that wood and found that it is very prone to cracking, the bowls i turned were about 450mm i left the wall thicknes about 30mm thick and it cracked in about 4/5 days if it very green you will need a raincoat good luck.
regards john.

Grumpy John
16th April 2012, 09:40 PM
:whs:

I've said this in a couple of other posts, but IMHO liquid amber is not worth the trouble. However there is always an exception:

Taken at the Australian Woodturning Exhibition (Nunawading) 2010

link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/problems-liquid-amber-sweet-gum-100023/)

turnerted
17th April 2012, 03:52 PM
Go for it.
I have turned some nice bowls and vases out of liquidamber .300mm long still gives you a decent bowl and with the log 600mm thick , you can cut blanks out well away from the pith .
Ted

smiife
17th April 2012, 08:27 PM
thanks for the replies guys,i think i will just go for it!
i may have confused you ted but it is 600mm wide
and only 300mm high,that is why i thought about turning on the flat
but not too sure if that would work:?
that bowl looks pretty good gumpy,i have been told that it l.a. will
crack fairly easily
thanks john will take your advise and wear the raincoat:U

Grumpy John
17th April 2012, 08:58 PM
Just to clarify things, LA bowl in the picture was NOT turned by me.

Paul39
18th April 2012, 10:55 AM
I have had good luck with timber prone to cracking by rough turning very soon after cutting and immediately soaking in a solution of 1/2 hand dishwashing liquid and 1/2 water for 2 - 3 weeks.

I then drain for an hour and wrap in 5 to 10 layers of newspaper and let it sit for 2 - 3 months in a corner of the shed.

I remount it and again rough turn round and let it lounge around the shed another month or two. Then I remount, final turn and finish.

rsser
18th April 2012, 03:14 PM
Have only turned one piece. Boring colour and figure but of course it may not have been representative. GJ's pic shows a boring figure balanced by some decorative work to provide visual interest.

Mine also soaked up a small fortune's worth of oil finish. If there's a next time I'd use a sanding sealer first.

turnerted
18th April 2012, 05:04 PM
Smiife
I don't think I am confused.
When you refer to the timber being 600mm wide, I assume this is the diameter of the tree .
Tree surgeons will always cut the timber this way because it is easier for them. That's why it's always best to be there when they are cutting the tree then you can get them to cut it in lengths equal to the diameter enableing you to turn the maximum size bowl
You will want to orientate your bowl so that it is crossgrain. that means 300mm is the maximum diameter bowl you can turn . If you try and turn it endgrain ie the 600mm direction it is bound to split.
Ted

smiife
18th April 2012, 08:22 PM
hi guys
thanks for your advice,
Ted, i think i might be the one who is confused,i understand what you mean
now!:doh:
might have to try the sanding sealer stuff,before finishing off
thanks again guys will post a photo or two when i try a piece

issatree
18th April 2012, 08:36 PM
Hi Smiife,
I have used heaps of LA, but mine was dry & I only use up to 100mm.
It is one of the best Timbers to turn you will ever find.
I have hardly ever Turned Green Timber as it doesn't like me as I break out in a rash.
I found it was one of the fastest drying timbers you will find.
We cut up a LA in October, turned it upside down, put it up against a North East wall so the sun & UV rays pass over it. I then began Turning it in Feb, & it was completely dry. Of course I'm Talking about 100 - 150mm in Dia.
Has great grain & usually a light Brown Wedge of Colour from the edge to the centre.
As the others have said, nothing when it is green.

turnerted
19th April 2012, 05:42 PM
Here's a small liquidamber vase I completed recently . Not spectacular grain but not bad I think . For some reason the colour is a bit off . The true colour is in tones of grey.About 160mm high, finish is DO.
Ted

Grumpy John
15th May 2012, 05:59 PM
hi guys
thanks for your advice,
Ted, i think i might be the one who is confused,i understand what you mean
now!:doh:
might have to try the sanding sealer stuff,before finishing off
thanks again guys will post a photo or two when i try a piece

Hi Smiife, did you have any luck turning the Liquid Amber. I'd be interest to see any photo's as I've had nothing but rotten luck turning the stuff :doh:.

smiife
15th May 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi GJ.
No i have not had time yet to get to the L.A.
but will be cutting it up on the weekend,maybe
i should do a W.I.P.and you guys can help with advice
on how to keep it in one piece :U

Stopper
29th May 2012, 03:38 PM
Smiffe,
let me know if you want any more. I have a log recently dropped off as unwanted by tree loppers. I don't want to cut it into boards if it is better suited to turners. It will just take up shed space.

cheers
Steve