PDA

View Full Version : Curves and Bends

jacko
17th February 2005, 07:07 PM
After a rather interupted creation process, here at last is the result of my first attempt at laminated/steam bent curvy bits as well as some extreme coopering.
The timber is Tasmanian Myrtle for the cabinet and Woolybutt for the legs. Secondary timber is Vic Ash. As always all comments welcome
Jacko

jacko
17th February 2005, 07:15 PM
Also first attempts at fully hand cut dovetails

oges
17th February 2005, 07:38 PM
Excellent work Jacko, looks great

MajorPanic
17th February 2005, 08:05 PM
Bloody Great Stuff.... http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

& just how long was the creation process Jacko??

Could you enlighten us as to the finish used?

DPB
17th February 2005, 08:14 PM
WoW!!

jacko
17th February 2005, 08:16 PM
& just how long was the creation process Jacko??Well, on the go for about 6 months, but that included teaching myself about bending small radii, glue choices, as well as the creation of about 6 jigs and fixtures. Other projects that got in the way were a DVD/Hi Fi cabinet as well as a restoration job.

Could you enlighten us as to the finish used?
My favoritethree coats of Oil/poly, followed by three coats of Oil/wax. Finnished to OOOO and then with a finer Du Pont pad.
[/b][/QUOTE]

ozwinner
17th February 2005, 08:25 PM
Wow.....http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/shocked/Wow1.gifhttp://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/shocked/Wow1.gifhttp://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/shocked/Wow1.gif

Al :)

Rocker
17th February 2005, 09:10 PM
Jacko,

That is a spectacular piece. Could you give us a bit more detail about the construction? It look as as though the ends of the cabinet are coopered, but how are they joined to the top and bottom? Are the curved parts of the frame steam-bent and then laminated? Did you work out the design using CAD, or the back of an envelope? Which way does the grain run in the coopered ends? It looks as though it is running around the cabinet in the same direction as the grain in the top and bottom, but then you would have been glueing end-grain to end grain in the coopering. Or is it running from the front of the cabinet to the back? In that case, the grain in the top and bottom would be running at right angles to that in the ends. Which glues did you use? Sorry about all the queries, but it is clearly a piece in which you have succeeded brilliantly in overcoming major design challenges.

Rocker

Peter36
17th February 2005, 09:18 PM
Mind boggling and a work of art . How about a full frontal picture as well Jacko

Peter

jacko
17th February 2005, 09:27 PM
Jacko,

That is a spectacular piece. Could you give us a bit more detail about the construction? It look as as though the ends of the cabinet are coopered, correct. 8 peices then shaped using specially made scapers but how are they joined to the top and bottom? They are joined using sliding dovetails, three separate peices on the base, with floating tennons to "close " the gaps. The top is only glued for the front half, the rear half kept in place by rather firm slidinf dovetails.Are the curved parts of the frame steam-bent and then laminated? Yes, 5 mm lams, the leg sections were tapered individuaslly by hand planing in a jig. Did you work out the design using CAD, or the back of an envelope? In my head at night followed by some extensive CAD verification, see some past posts. Which way does the grain run in the coopered ends? It looks as though it is running around the cabinet in the same direction as the grain in the top and bottom, but then you would have been glueing end-grain to end grain in the coopering. Or is it running from the front of the cabinet to the back? In that case, the grain in the top and bottom would be running at right angles to that in the ends. Thats the way it is, the figure in the timber gives the impression of continuity around the peice. Which glues did you use? I eventually used AV201 modified with 10% GF203 PVA for the laminations, cross linking PVA for the rest Sorry about all the queries, but it is clearly a piece in which you have succeeded brilliantly in overcoming major design challenges.
Rocker
Hope this helps, happy to provide any extra detail requested.
Jacko

jacko
17th February 2005, 09:34 PM
Mind boggling and a work of art . How about a full frontal picture as well Jacko

Peter
As requested, full frontal. Hope you meant the peice and not me!!!! That would close down the site.
Jacko

AlexS
17th February 2005, 09:46 PM
That is one of the technically most difficult and aesthetically pleasing pieces I've seen. Congratulations.

graemet
17th February 2005, 09:54 PM
Beautifully done, Jacko. An inspiration to all of us!
Cheers,
Graeme

Rusty
17th February 2005, 10:04 PM
That's truly wild, Jacko; genuinely creative. I hope one day I'm half as bold as that. It's like Shaker on acid. Er, probably.

Rus.

journeyman Mick
17th February 2005, 10:19 PM
Jacko,
you're a technical virtuoso!

Mick

Harry72
17th February 2005, 10:38 PM
Now thats what I call an piece worthy of being called wooden art, beautiful matey.
Deserves rep points!

Different
17th February 2005, 10:59 PM
Can I request that you stop posting pics of things loke this as it is making the rest of us feel inadequate!!!
Seriously bloody brilliant technical work.

Ross

silentC
18th February 2005, 08:54 AM
That is probably one of the most outstanding pieces of furniture I have seen posted on this site. You've done the Far South Coast proud, Jacko.

Wood Butcher
18th February 2005, 08:04 PM
If I can ever get to the stage that I can reproduce this kind of work .....

I'll probably be dead!

micknews
18th February 2005, 09:02 PM
Great work of art Jacko. I find myself wondering whether I will ever even get close your craftmanship. As an earlier post said - Leaves one feeling inadequate.
Well done.

Mick.

Different
19th February 2005, 01:17 AM
Jacko
Did you add up or can you estimate the time it took to construct including any jigs etc you had to make?
Can you put a dollar value on it ?
Do you work wood professionally or as a hobbiest?

Ross

jacko
19th February 2005, 08:25 AM
Here are some answers, best estimates only as not recorded. My wife would possibly increase these times by 50%

Jacko
Did you add up or can you estimate the time it took to construct including any jigs etc you had to make?
Jigs and fixtures, about 35 hours (not counting the steam bending "oven")
Trials of bending and glues approx 24 hours
Construction time Legs 40
Cabinet 30
Finishing 8 hours
Can you put a dollar value on it ? Only to say that that it was a comission peice for an aquantaince and we pre-agreed a price of $2500Do you work wood professionally or as a hobbiest? I'm retired from the world of high tech marketing and engineering, so very much a hobby.
Jacko Ross

MathewA
19th February 2005, 04:23 PM
I'm more a classical furniture type (real big into chippendale as can be seen on my website) but that has to be one of the finest modern designs I've seen. Your sense of proportion is right on. Damn! fine work. Do you mind if I grab a couple of the pics for me furniture reference library.

kiwigeo
19th February 2005, 04:47 PM
Very nice work Jacko.

John Samuel
29th October 2012, 10:03 AM
A beautiful piece indeed. Inspirational!

bosox
31st October 2012, 03:05 AM
How did you make that? That is absolutely stunning.

Robson Valley
31st October 2012, 04:52 PM
For a seven-year old thread, this is good.
Steam bending is not magic. It is a simple, boat-building technique
which has been used for centuries.
Jacko has got it figured out very well. Best that I've seen yet, outside of a boat yard.
Now, for your investigations, see how well you do with a kerf-bent box
in the style of the Pacific Northwest Coast native nations.
I have seen 60cm corners.