PDA

View Full Version : London Plane Recovery

Acco
19th April 2012, 07:45 PM
A local job I did this arvo, tested the limits of the crane, had to stand the butt on end and then hoist it over on to the tray.

Jim Carroll
19th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Some nice size peices there DJ

dai sensei
19th April 2012, 07:50 PM
Hmm, that is a big beast :o

I was surprised when I used London Plane, it looked plane and boring to start with, but in finishing it showed beautiful oak like grain.

Groggy
19th April 2012, 08:06 PM
And the tree is big too! :p

Pagie
19th April 2012, 10:36 PM
Are you bringing that to 's?

Acco
20th April 2012, 09:44 PM
Are you bringing that to 's?

:no: it's not mine

BobL
24th April 2012, 05:58 PM
Our suburb has been plastered with these trees and they are often planted in the most inappropriate places where they grow like weeds. However, after seeing their inner gizzards I might have to look at them in a new light!

Willy Nelson
25th April 2012, 12:50 AM
Further to BobL's post, I believe they are one of the worst trees for people who suffer from hayfever, and whole suburbs are being filled with them. Slab the lot of them, I say!

BobL
25th April 2012, 01:27 AM
Further to BobL's post, I believe they are one of the worst trees for people who suffer from hayfever, and whole suburbs are being filled with them. Slab the lot of them, I say!

A real estate agent who is not resident but owns several houses in our street ran a campaign to have our peppermits, jacarandas and other trees replaced with Plane trees as they would grown quicker and he thought that would raise property values. He very quickly managed to get the backs up of SWMBO and several other residents who suffer from hay fever and a counter campaign ensued. We won! - but only just.

Bushmiller
26th April 2012, 07:43 PM
I didn't know about the hay fever issue, but London Plane is commonly planted as a street tree as it performs well in that situation. It doesn't require much water, is fast-growing and smog tolerant. However all that is slightly diminished by the requirement to lop fairly regularly.

Where I used to live in the Upper Hunter Valley it was a favourite amongst the horse studs as part of their beautification programmes. It is an impressive species in that regard and looks good.

Regards
Paul

Acco
26th April 2012, 08:10 PM
They're planted throughout Melbourne extensively, particularly in the older estabished burbs of the early 1900 thru to say 1960 and I've noticed that they're making a bit of a comeback in some of the newer estates.

It is also interesting to note, that the street lined trees that get regular lopping done, don't seem to get massive growth in the barrel but in trees planted at the same time and don't get lopped, have massive barrels such as the one I collected above.

I was also part of a group that milled a London Plane in the suburb of Hawthorn from a back yard about ten yrs ago, the barrel on that was about 1.5mt across x 5mt long and it had some of the nicest colours and figuring that I've ever seen in London Plane. I did managed to score a tiny bit of this timber and made a chopping board for my mum, I'll take some pics next time I visit if I remember to, also think I still might have some scraps here, I'll have to check.

jemijona
26th April 2012, 08:28 PM
Why, when I saw the thread title, did I think someone was in England?

Looking at the first photo had me saying, what the? ;)

Cheers

pjt
26th April 2012, 08:50 PM

Is the hayfever issue from the live tree, say from pollen or such as opposed to working the wood:?

Pete

Bushmiller
26th April 2012, 09:06 PM
Why, when I saw the thread title, did I think someone was in England?

Looking at the first photo had me saying, what the? ;)

Cheers

:D

London Plane is a hybrid of the Plane tree (Planus Occidentalis). This is one at Heathrow :rolleyes:.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
26th April 2012, 09:09 PM
Is the hayfever issue from the live tree, say from pollen or such as opposed to working the wood:?

Pete

"However, it has a number of problems in urban use, most notably the short, stiff hairs shed by the young leaves and the dispersing seeds; these are an irritant if breathed in, and can exacerbate breathing difficulties for people with asthma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthma)."

Quoted from Wiki. It does not refer specifically to hay-fever, but possibly if you are susceptible it will be a problem.

Regards
Paul

BobL
26th April 2012, 09:54 PM
Is the hayfever issue from the live tree, say from pollen

yep - 30 s after SWMBO enters a street where these trees are releasing their seeds here eyes are watering and she is snuffling and complaining.

nifty
27th April 2012, 11:56 PM
They aint good for asthma either as bushmiller says, its to do with the seed pods, silver birch is another one.

Wizened of Oz
28th April 2012, 08:05 PM

I was surprised when I used London Plane, it looked plane and boring to start with, but in finishing it showed beautiful oak like grain.

Plane tree (Platanus sp.) timber is Sycamore to Americans and Lacewood to Britons. Well regarded timber in both countries, as far as I know.

Bushmiller
29th April 2012, 10:29 AM
Plane tree (Platanus sp.) timber is Sycamore to Americans and Lacewood to Britons. Well regarded timber in both countries, as far as I know.

Brian

There may be a little confusion here and I acknowledge that frequently local names are adopted. An example in Oz would be the description of Tasmanian Oak, which is not a true oak and in fact represents several species with similar properties. Meranti and mahogany are similar in this regard.

Plane is Platanus orientalis
London Plane is Platanus x.acerifolia
Sycamore is Acer pseudoplatanus
Lacewood is cardwellia sublimis (Also known as northern silky oak)

Whilst there is some overlap of description (even within the latin nomenclature) each one exists in it's own right.

Regards
Paul

Robson Valley
29th April 2012, 01:47 PM
Which unit in the metric system, the part for linear measurement, is the "mt"????
I thought that the symbols had been standardized more than a century ago and all signatories to the adoption of the SI metric system agreed to follow those.
More importantly, what is the metric system unit 'm', meant to indicate?

Acco
29th April 2012, 02:37 PM
From my understanding both m & mt are both metre (Australian/English spelling) or meter (American spelling)

BobL
29th April 2012, 04:17 PM
From my understanding both m & mt are both metre (Australian/English spelling) or meter (American spelling)

The US is the only english speaking country in the word using meter and I have never seen mt used anywhere as an accepted unit symbol. Use of correct or accepted units and symbols can be legally significant as some contracts (especially between countries) can be void if accepted terms are not used. Legally in the US both metre or metre can be used. The reason for this when US companies trade with some countries they may be required to use metres or their contracts may not be valid in the other country.

Here is a very interesting article on all this
http://www.metricationmatters.com/docs/Spelling_metre_or_meter.pdf

Bushmiller
29th April 2012, 05:31 PM
The US is the only english speaking country in the word using meter and I have never seen mt used anywhere as an accepted unit symbol.

Bob

We use MT at work but it stands for metric tons. Guess what? The place was built by the americans:doh:.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
29th April 2012, 05:32 PM
Acco

Were you cutting this timber or just moving around for a customer?

Regards
Paul

Acco
29th April 2012, 06:21 PM
Acco

Were you cutting this timber or just moving around for a customer?

Regards
Paul

Moving it for a client, I haven't used my Lucas for 2 or 3 yrs :B

Exador
7th May 2012, 07:13 AM
:D

London Plane is a hybrid of the Plane tree (Planus Occidentalis). This is one at Heathrow :rolleyes:.

Regards
Paul

Surely that's a classic example of the Flame Plane... (Planus Accidentalis)

DJ’s Timber
15th March 2013, 06:44 PM
Had to move some of this timber today and thought I'd take some pics whilst it was in the slings and suspended in the air.

Not the best pics but should give you an idea

257875 257876

Will try to get more pics as I still have to transport the rest of the timber