PDA

View Full Version : Little Olive Box

Skewturn
19th April 2012, 08:47 PM
I wrote in an earlier post that I found some olive in my parents wood pile. I turned a piece on wednesday had a couple of hours and I just want to knock something up. So I found a small piece and decided to make a lidded box. The olive had a few cracks but that is expected Im told. I was told that the olive was dry but when I turned it in a couple of areas it became wet. I was wondering does the oil come to the surface when your turning it? Now that I am finished it is dry again. So here is a couple of photos of it in the raw I am going to put some danish oil on it in the future and put flocking in the inside to spruse it up. I hope you like. Happy turning:U

wheelinround
19th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Amazing colour almost like toffee swirl icecream. well done.:2tsup:

Scott
19th April 2012, 09:58 PM
I'd love to get me a piece of that timber. Great job :)

BlackbuttWA
20th April 2012, 11:21 AM
Did this come from the "root" of the tree ?
I ask because I turned a pen from a section of root & the grain was not as pronounced as in the trunk & branches.
After several coats of CA glue the pen looked like it was made from marble,, with the beautiful swirling effect.

The pen in question is the bottom one.
Col

turnerted
20th April 2012, 04:50 PM
Skewturn
A good start.
If you have a good set of digital scales, weight your piece, then weigh it again in a couple of weeks . If it loosing weight you will then know it is still green.
Ted

Sawdust Maker
20th April 2012, 08:49 PM
Noice :2tsup:

can you spray a little metho or water on it and take a piccy so we can see what the finished product might look like

And Ted has given grand advice :2tsup:

Skewturn
20th April 2012, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=BlackbuttWA;1476389]Did this come from the "root" of the tree ?
I ask because I turned a pen from a section of root & the grain was not as pronounced as in the trunk & branches.
After several coats of CA glue the pen looked like it was made from marble,, with the beautiful swirling effect.

It may have been near the roots the timber is full of knots. Some pieces looked a bit like burls. Either way I cant wait to turn some more. Sawdust maker I will try to get a finished picture on by sunday. Thanks for the nice comments. Happy turning:U

Hermit
20th April 2012, 09:39 PM
What a nice little bowl. Fantastic piece of timber.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

vk4
20th April 2012, 10:58 PM
While the piece looks simple , the grain of the timber makes it SPECIAL, looks brilliant, with a finish to suit it will even better.

Wish i had some in my wood pile.

Jeff

Skewturn
21st April 2012, 09:34 PM
I know the piece is simple but I am only starting to learn forms. I i'll get there.
Thanks for the nice comments cheers::U

Ps Ive put the finish on just waiting to dry, pics up tomorrow.

Skewturn
23rd April 2012, 04:00 PM
Promised pictures I coated it with organoil about 4 coats Still needs a buff but ran out of wool disks. You can see the difference between the inside and outside hope you like. Cheers:U

powderpost
23rd April 2012, 04:28 PM
Beautiful job and nice timber too.. :2tsup:
Jim

Hermit
23rd April 2012, 04:35 PM
That's one eye-catching little piece. Looks great, I love it.
(I want some of that Olive.)

justturnin
24th April 2012, 03:27 AM
Wow, that is some amazing figure. I LOVE Olive. It turns like butter and smells wonderful. I am wondering what some crushed Turquoise would look like in those cracks.

dr4g0nfly
24th April 2012, 05:56 AM
Olive, the grain effect is amazing, isn't it.

How did you find it turned with the oil aiding your tools cutting action?

An a nice box you've got there.

Skewturn
24th April 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi guys thanks for the positive feed back:2tsup: Its great to know that the practise is paying off. Also thanks justturnin for the idea in regards to filling the cracks.

Olive, the grain effect is amazing, isn't it.

How did you find it turned with the oil aiding your tools cutting action?

An a nice box you've got there.

Hi dr4g0nfly I had a great time turning it. The oil made the shavings real off, if I was more skilled you could do it one handed. Wish the pieces I found were bigger so I could spend more time working it.

Cheers:U

artme
24th April 2012, 10:24 PM
Special piece there Skewturn!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tdrumnut
26th May 2012, 06:19 PM
Great figure & color a nice find & excellent work.