PDA

View Full Version : A simple guide for the Woodcut bowlsaver

turnerted
20th April 2012, 05:26 PM
G'day
I had looked at the Woodcut laser guide for the bowlsaver but decided I didn't need one because I have never had a problem with my bowls using the guidelines and measurments provided by Woodcut
.Recently I needed to push the limits when I wanted to make a nested bowl . I decided that since I already had a laser from my hollowing rig, it would be easy enough to knock one up. The pictures are pretty self explanitory . I just glued a 12mm nut with CA glue on to the pivot bolt and screwed on a bit of allthread .The clamp holds the laser in position and also holds the switch on.
In use the, the light is pointed at the outer tip of the cutter, then the wooden arm swung round, showing the predicted course of the cutter .When all is set up right, the jig is removed and the cut made

hughie
20th April 2012, 05:55 PM
Ted, an excellent idea, wished I had thought of it myself :D Seriously, its simple and very effective. I think I wll knock one up for myself down the track with your kind permission.

Sawdust Maker
20th April 2012, 08:41 PM
Ted

thanks for sharing
great idea :2tsup:

turnerted
21st April 2012, 05:55 PM
Go for it Hughie
Ted

Pat
21st April 2012, 06:09 PM
Ted, it makes my lexan guides, that I faithfully cut out look very low tech!

NeilS
21st April 2012, 06:18 PM
... and which hollowing rig comes with a laser?

turnerted
21st April 2012, 09:50 PM
... and which hollowing rig comes with a laser?

My copy of TTIT's design
Ted

NeilS
22nd April 2012, 01:28 PM
My copy of TTIT's design
Ted

Thanks Ted.

I now have a supplementary question, where can I buy a suitable laser pointer for this purpose in Australia?

I understand from an earlier thread from Hughie that they are banned from sale in Australia and from import into Australia (due to the idiots that kept directing them at aircraft coming into land).

turnerted
22nd April 2012, 05:48 PM
Neil
I bought my laser on E-bay but I did have problems .
My first attempt was ordered from Hongkong and was supposed to be legal for Australia . After about a month, it had not turned up and the supplier gave me a refund . A few days latter I got a letter from customs saying it had been confiscated as being illegal but I could appeal if I liked . I filled in the forms and claimed that it was advertised as a low power unit and legal in Australia . They replied they had no discretion and I would have to take it court which would cost me at least $300 but I could withdraw my appeal if I liked. Not supprisingly I did not take it any further and at this stage I had got my money back anyway
I ordered another one . This one sourced from England . A couple of days latter I got an email from the seller saying they had now discovered they could not sell to Australia and were giving me a refund.
I am persistant and found another seller in Melbourne who had one and it turned up in a few days .
All three lasers looked identical in the pictures and all claimed to be legal for Australia.
My suggestion would be try and find a seller in Australia or order from overseas and hope customs don't find it . Even if it is confiscated you only loose less than $10 and like me would probably get a refund from the seller.
One other thing, make sure you buy a unit that runs on an AAA battery . The first one I bought about a year ago, ran on hearing aid batteries and would only last about 20 minutes before running flat . The cost of replacement batteries soon far exceeded the cost of the laser.
Best of luck
Ted

NeilS
22nd April 2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks Ted, very helpful info.

One last question, what mW power is your laser?

turnerted
23rd April 2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks Ted, very helpful info.

One last question, what mW power is your laser?
Neil
They were all claimed to be1mW, the legal limit for Australia .
I just checked on E-bay ,and there are plenty of Australian suppliers of these now .
Search under "green laser pointers"
Ted

hughie
23rd April 2012, 06:53 PM
[

I now have a supplementary question, where can I buy a suitable laser pointer for this purpose in Australia?
I understand from an earlier thread from Hughie that they are banned from sale in Australia and from import into Australia (due to the idiots that kept directing them at aircraft coming into land

Neil, I have alink to electronic mob who sell lasers online here in Sydney a. I bought a couple from them, bought red :no: wasnt thinking :doh: now I gotta go back and get the green.

Oatley Electronics (http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=f2d20cc0fcceb39268153a97051f5d8c)

Not cheap but some of the lasers go up to 200mw :o :) Just make sure its focusable or a small beam dia.

NeilS
23rd April 2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your replies Ted & Hughie